Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

leg and wheel fairings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: leg and wheel fairings Reply with quote

Just fitted the fairings last afternoon. Outside temps were 112F; higher in the hangar. Two questions: the plans call for extra layers of glass on the intersection fairings but do not state where the glass goes. Anybody install the extra glass? if so where did you put it? Also found that the areas where they suggest no screws due to access can be easily handled using a button head screw with an internal hex head. what kind of indicated airspeed increase was experienced with fairings for a given power setting?
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: leg and wheel fairings Reply with quote

Not scientific….but I showed about 14 knots. But again…..not scientific.

Very happy with the speed increase and I thought the airplane handled a little better. Also, my trim did not change. Now, after I did the test I spent a lot of effort blending in the intersection fairings and they are at the painter right now. My plan is to get them on the plan Friday and do some more testing with the paint on….final config. Based on the first bit of testing, I am hoping for the best.

Rene' Felker
RV-10 N423CF Flying

801-721-6080
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David McNeill
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:45 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: leg and wheel fairings

Just fitted the fairings last afternoon. Outside temps were 112F; higher in the hangar. Two questions: the plans call for extra layers of glass on the intersection fairings but do not state where the glass goes. Anybody install the extra glass? if so where did you put it? Also found that the areas where they suggest no screws due to access can be easily handled using a button head screw with an internal hex head. what kind of indicated airspeed increase was experienced with fairings for a given power setting?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jim Berry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: leg and wheel fairings Reply with quote

Two layers of glass over the entire upper and lower intersection fairings. Those parts as received from Van's are only 2 layers thick, and would not survive without the extra layers.

Jim Berry

Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: leg and wheel fairings Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering if we could cheat on the upper leg fairings, but I may as well go ahead and double them up.

I don't quite get the instructions that say something like "we left them unreinforced so that they'd be more flexible for fitting" ... after reinforcing them, they still have to be flexed around the strut to install -- right?

And the instructions to use sheet metal screws on the upper, still bugs me. We'll use nut plates where we can.

Later, - Lew

Do not archive

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
Jim Berry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: leg and wheel fairings Reply with quote

Lew,

I think Van's instructions are referring to getting a good fit between the lower intersection fairing and the wheel pants, and upper fairing to fuselage/wing surface. I did away with sheet metal screws or nutplates by using the method of Vic Syracuse and others. My lower intersection fairings are permanently glassed to the wheel pants, then split in line with the wheel pant split. Once the fairing to wheel pant seam is micro'd and body worked it has a very clean, sexy appearance.

Jim Berry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: