Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plane Crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Plane Crash Reply with quote

Yesterday while flying back from SBP to WHP (a regular commute) I tuned in to speak with SOCAL traffic. They asked if I had time to look for a downed plane. I had picked up a strong ELT when I crossed Santa Paula airport but I assumed someone was either testing their ELT on the airport or ???. I said sure I have time and would be happy to help. SOCAL asked me to fly towards the Reagan Presidential Library. I asked for vectors but they didn’t really know however I had some idea and within 30 seconds located the HUGE building on the top of a hill. I didn’t realize Reagan was such a big reader. From there ATC thought the plane was about 2 miles west. It took about another 10 seconds to locate the plane. I expected that it would be VERY difficult to find unless there was smoke but the plane was lying in a hill side completely intact and spread eagle so it was a snap to locate. I gave ATC the GPS coordinates and circled waiting for emergency response vehicles. I was even able to redirect the response team when they went the wrong way on a dirt road. It was kind of fun. I told ATC they were going the wrong way and 10 seconds later I see all the vehicles stop and dust fly up as they reversed their course. It was difficult to tell from 3,000’ but I suspected the plane was upside down and I think I saw 4-5 people standing near the nose of the plane. I also saw a truck on the upper road so I assumed that there were survivors and aid from a local rancher. I believe the pilot tried to land on the upslope of the small hill and dug the nose into the hillside putting the Cessna on its back. Once the police/fire were onsite there was nothing more I could do. ATC thanked me for my assistance and headed off to complete my flight into LA.
  This morning I found a link with video of the plane and the results. Note it is NOT a 172 but a retract Cessna, most likely a 206 or 210 (not an expert on Cessna’s)

http://cbs2.com/local/Simi.Valley.Crash.2.767545.html

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C8E27A.DB2CE860[/img]

It’s obviously too early to know what caused the crash but all I can think about these days are defective Mags.
  While circling the site I had time to think how great owning an RV-9 or RV-8 with a IO-320 would be to perform this function. Tremendous plane with excellent visibility and low fuel burn.

Robin
Do Not Archive

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.51 KB
 Viewed:  436 Time(s)

image001.jpg

bbreckenridge(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Plane Crash Reply with quote

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pascal(at)rv10builder.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Plane Crash Reply with quote

looks like an American Flyers plane from Santa Monica.
Nice job Robin, just think if you were in the CAP you would be given the "Distress find awards "
Pascal

Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:52 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Plane Crash

Yesterday while flying back from SBP to WHP (a regular commute) I tuned in to speak with SOCAL traffic. They asked if I had time to look for a downed plane. I had picked up a strong ELT when I crossed Santa Paula airport but I assumed someone was either testing their ELT on the airport or ???. I said sure I have time and would be happy to help. SOCAL asked me to fly towards the Reagan Presidential Library. I asked for vectors but they didn’t really know however I had some idea and within 30 seconds located the HUGE building on the top of a hill. I didn’t realize Reagan was such a big reader. From there ATC thought the plane was about 2 miles west. It took about another 10 seconds to locate the plane. I expected that it would be VERY difficult to find unless there was smoke but the plane was lying in a hill side completely intact and spread eagle so it was a snap to locate. I gave ATC the GPS coordinates and circled waiting for emergency response vehicles. I was even able to redirect the response team when they went the wrong way on a dirt road. It was kind of fun. I told ATC they were going the wrong way and 10 seconds later I see all the vehicles stop and dust fly up as they reversed their course. It was difficult to tell from 3,000’ but I suspected the plane was upside down and I think I saw 4-5 people standing near the nose of the plane. I also saw a truck on the upper road so I assumed that there were survivors and aid from a local rancher. I believe the pilot tried to land on the upslope of the small hill and dug the nose into the hillside putting the Cessna on its back. Once the police/fire were onsite there was nothing more I could do. ATC thanked me for my assistance and headed off to complete my flight into LA.
  This morning I found a link with video of the plane and the results. Note it is NOT a 172 but a retract Cessna, most likely a 206 or 210 (not an expert on Cessna’s)

[img]cid:EE2AFA5187B346F386C0A79008DC9149(at)pascaldell[/img]

It’s obviously too early to know what caused the crash but all I can think about these days are defective Mags.
  While circling the site I had time to think how great owning an RV-9 or RV-8 with a IO-320 would be to perform this function. Tremendous plane with excellent visibility and low fuel burn.

Robin
Do Not Archive

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

image001.jpg

tomflysalot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Plane Crash Reply with quote

I used to work for Cessna. Since it has wing struts, it's either a 172RG (Cutless) or a 182RG.

Hate to see it happen (to anybody).

Tom

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:52:23 -0400 "Robin Marks" <robin1(at)mrmoisture.com (robin1(at)mrmoisture.com)> writes:
Quote:

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C8E27A.DB2CE860[/img]

Robin
Do Not Archive

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  364 Time(s)

image001.jpg

coop85(at)cableone.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Plane Crash Reply with quote

Robin,
Well done, I can guarantee the folks in the airplane sure appreciate your efforts! It sounds like the occupants had only minor injuries fortunately, but had it been otherwise your assistance could easily have made all the difference in the world to them. I wish I could have seen the screeching halt and reversal by the rescue crews, that was a hoot to watch I’m sure.

Marcus

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:52 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Plane Crash

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C8E2B8.5EAAF0A0[/img]

Robin
Do Not Archive

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: