Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start(er)ing woes - used to be CHTs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjs22t(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Start(er)ing woes - used to be CHTs Reply with quote

Fellows,

I can't help but think you're chasing a lot of dead ends here. So with that said and bringing your immediate suspicion to what I'm going to say, I'll say it anyhow.

Hot starts a problem? This is what I read.

1. When parking for a while, do you open the oil cooler door to allow hot air to escape? Point nose of a/c into prevailing wind?

2. You must have the hole in each RamDuct just before cylinders 1 and 2 to get some air over the case, onto the starter, and more importantly onto the coil behind cylinder 5.

3. Epoxy/flox a 3/4 inch "blast tube" to the back of left RamDuct and have it directed to the coil that is almost hidden behind cylinder 6.

4. Have an Odyssey battery, 625 or 680. Anything else and you're batting gnats with a toothpick.

5. The reasons behind numbers 2 and 3 above are that the coils in the 3300 tend to break down under heat - then magically become workable after cooldown. I know, I've had two of them. Replaced both and was not at all happy with the price, not at all.

It may not be a starter problem. I have the old, old starter (engine 051) and won't replace it until it dies, and with 335 hours on it, it shows no sign of malaise. That new starter would be nice, Heck, even the ungraded Bosch would be great, but at the price someone quoted on here Jabiru must think their customers are made of $$$$.

If anyone find the cross-reference numbers for that starter so I can go to Kubota or elsewhere and buy one, please post it.

Remember what you paid for the above info...

CAVU jeff HDS/3300

[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Peter H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Start(er)ing woes - used to be CHTs Reply with quote

Thomas,
You have not referred to the most common cause of the problem which is that the engine gets very tight when it stops because the barrels cool quicker than the pistons and grip the pistons tight. Hand propping soon after you shut down will show that some engines (mine) gets so tight it is difficult to turn over and you cannot “feel” the compression.
I have confirmed this with advice from the factory, they say it is a good sign for a tight engine.
Consequently although it is good practice to make life easy for the starter, the problem is not the starter.
As a matter of interest more recent engines with additional cooling fins have suffered from the reverse problem. On climb out the cooling fins are so effective that the pistons expand under heat into the well cooled smaller barrels. We have had an instance when the piston head came off in initial climb out . These engines should be carefully ground run and maybe due care with limited throttle for take off during the early run in period.
JMHO.
Peter

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of THOMAS SMALL
Sent: Tuesday, 29 July 2008 6:30 AM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: JabiruEngine-List: Start(er)ing woes - used to be CHTs

Fellows,

I can't help but think you're chasing a lot of dead ends here. So with that said and bringing your immediate suspicion to what I'm going to say, I'll say it anyhow.

Hot starts a problem? This is what I read.

1. When parking for a while, do you open the oil cooler door to allow hot air to escape? Point nose of a/c into prevailing wind?

2. You must have the hole in each RamDuct just before cylinders 1 and 2 to get some air over the case, onto the starter, and more importantly onto the coil behind cylinder 5.

3. Epoxy/flox a 3/4 inch "blast tube" to the back of left RamDuct and have it directed to the coil that is almost hidden behind cylinder 6.

4. Have an Odyssey battery, 625 or 680. Anything else and you're batting gnats with a toothpick.

5. The reasons behind numbers 2 and 3 above are that the coils in the 3300 tend to break down under heat - then magically become workable after cooldown. I know, I've had two of them. Replaced both and was not at all happy with the price, not at all.

It may not be a starter problem. I have the old, old starter (engine 051) and won't replace it until it dies, and with 335 hours on it, it shows no sign of malaise. That new starter would be nice, Heck, even the ungraded Bosch would be great, but at the price someone quoted on here Jabiru must think their customers are made of $$$$.

If anyone find the cross-reference numbers for that starter so I can go to Kubota or elsewhere and buy one, please post it.

Remember what you paid for the above info...

CAVU jeff HDS/3300

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: