Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 912 UL "P" leads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 UL "P" leads Reply with quote

I have been having a problem with the mag check during my engine runup . The drop on each mag is about 100-125 rpm but the left mag has a lot more roughness. I checked the plugs and they are clean.I could not find any breaks in the P lead wiring.
I swapped the P lead wires and found that the roughness then went to the other mag which would indicate to me that the problem is in the wiring and not the modules. Am I correct?
I would like to replace the P lead wiring. The type that I currently have on the engine looks like a blue coax type cable. It is shielded and the shielding is grounded to the frame.The two P lead wires are housed internally in the one cable.
The Rotax installation manual (May 01/2007) calls for 18 AMG shielded flexible cable with both ends grounded to prevent EMI (e,g. MIL-27500/1Cool It also cautions that the wrong cables could cause the engine to shut down due to EMI and radio interferance. Not a good thing.
As a precaution I would like to replace this cable. Should I use two cables,one for each mag rather than have two leads in one cable? Anyone know a good source?
Thanks !
      Dick Maddux
      Kitfox 4-1200
      Rotax 912UL
      Pensacola,Fl

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912 UL Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

Here is an easy way and a tool to check your plugs and plug wires. Here is a picture of a AC tester, cost about $12. Spark plugs are AC current. This tester works by just getting the plastic probe next to the item you want to test. Start the engine with someone you trust at the controls and chock the tires. Then while the engine is running hold this tester up by each plug wire and then the plug. If you are getting a good current flow the light on the tester will light up steady. If you have a problem wire or plug the light may flash intermittently or not at all. This way you can trace down the exact place where the problem is occurring. You can test each plug wire coming out of the ignition modules and trace it down to the plug. The plug wires coming out of the ignition coils are screwed in just like they are at the plug cap. I think you will find your problem in the wires. I had a problem like this 4-5 months ago and the tester traced it to the #1 plug wire at the plug cap. I unscrewed the wire trimmed off about a 1/4" and screwed it back in and the problem was gone.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

AC tester 1.JPG
 Description:
Plug and wire tester
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  598 Time(s)

AC tester 1.JPG

AC Tester.JPG
 Description:
Plug and wire tester
 Filesize:  729.88 KB
 Viewed:  598 Time(s)

AC Tester.JPG

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912 UL Reply with quote

Roger,
Where do I start looking for one of these AC testers? Is that a parts store item, a Harbour Freight item, Lowes or Home Depot?
My 912 UL wants to stumble between 3,000 and 3,400. I think it's electrical but not sure.
Thanks,

1978 Cessna 172 N
American Aero Phoenix II w/582 Rotax
Rotorway Exec.
RockyRim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912 UL Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

If our "P" lead connections are the same, I have a uls, I had the same problem. Drove me nuts, no luck with with ohm meter. I finally found
the factory crimps were bad at the module plug in for the "p" leads.
I hard wired it all. Problem gone. Hope this helps.

Denise and Rocky Whitman
S7 Kitfox 912S
Austin
Annual cond. insp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: