Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foul Air in the Cockpit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Foul Air in the Cockpit Reply with quote

Batman,
Are you wearing nasal Cannulas for your O2 about 5000 ft or were you wearing an aviator’s mask? If you were flying with a nasal cannula, you still were breathing your ambient cabin air. If that air was contaminated with CO then you are going to still be breathing CO hence the extreme fatigue, headaches and even disorientation at the end of the flight.
I bet if you went to your local pulmonologist or the ER and had a arterial Blood gas drawn your carboxy hemoglobin levels would have been impressive to say the least. No you cannot wear an oximeter an protect yourself from hypoxia that is due to CO. The oxyhemoglobin and carboxy hemoglobin both absorb the infrared light at the same wavelength therefore you get a false reading normal reading.
The only way to get CO out of your cockpit is either don’t fly the YAK/CJ, completely seal the cockpit, install a CO scrubber, or Install an Aviator’s O2 system using a military O2 mask.
I worked on and developed a Carbon Monoxide scrubber system that no one showed any interest in so it was canned. I installed an aviator’s system in my 50 and wear the mask during taxi, run-up, TO, hi alpha procedures, landing, taxi, and run-up to shut down. I have a Drager CO monitor (not cheap) that has a computer interface program allowing me to measure the CO in all phases of flight. The worst is during taxi, TO, climb out, hi alpha procedures, landing, taxi, and run-up to shut down. During those times, the CO levels exceed 50 to 75 PPM (the acceptable Permissible exposure limits (PEL) for CO is <50 PPM). During run-up to shutdown, I have seen as numbers as high as >100 ppm. Yes I have sealed up a significant part of my cockpit. I have not closed off the tail section yet.
Bottom line you are sucking bad air and it is making you feel bad at the end of the day. CO has an affinity of 200 times that of O2 for the red blood cell. It takes up to 12 hours after exposure to get it off the RBC after exposure breathing 21% room air.
And you don’t even get hi breathing this shit!
Doc
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: