Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CJ-6 oil thinning system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithmckinley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

Can anyone give me the best method for disabling this system.

Thanks,
Keith McKinley

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
ChangDriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

Keith:

Isn't oil thinning activated by a switch? Why not cut the wires or wire the switch in the off position.

Craig

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wlannon(at)persona.ca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

Why not remove the entire system including wiring, cap off the fuel inlet at
the pump "T" fitting and rivet or bolt a cover plate over the firewall hole.
This leaves you an extra switch position, eliminates the possibility of a
fuel leak in the solenoid valve and leaves only one fuel pressure hose to
inspect or replace at annual.

Walt
---

keithmckinley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

little hesitant to disconnect or snip wires as something will still be live back there. I was thinking about yanking the solenoids during the next annual. has anyone actually done this mod?

Keith

pilko2(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

Why take it out at all ?

You may never need it in your local climate but you may just one day sell
your bird to somebody in colder climes.

Cheapest fix I can devise is a neat piece of duct tape over the switch !
---

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

You can also use it for your smoke system. I installed a a smoke oil tank the same size as my old Chinese ADF and mounted it on the same rack.  I than used an old 24 volt fuel pump to pump the oil from the tank to the solenoid valve and hence to the exhaust stack. I installed new switch near the throttle, and hooked the solenoid in series with the pump. Thus when I close the switch the pump comes on and the valve opens. Has worked fine for about 1,500 now.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

In a message dated 8/14/2008 10:36:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wlannon(at)persona.ca writes:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)persona.ca>

Why not remove the entire system including wiring, cap off the fuel inlet at
the pump "T" fitting and rivet or bolt a cover plate over the firewall hole.
This leaves you an extra switch position, eliminates the possibility of a
fuel leak in the solenoid valve and leaves only one fuel pressure hose to
inspect or replace at annual.

Walt
---

keithmckinley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

I live in a cold climate and I'd never use it. Prior to this winter I'll have a heater installed on my oil tank. Something the Chinese should have done.

However, your point is a valid one.

Keith

keith(at)mckinley.us

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

good stuff!!

K

On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:58 AM, cjpilot710(at)aol.com (cjpilot710(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] You can also use it for your smoke system.  I installed a a smoke oil tank the same size as my old Chinese ADF and mounted it on the same rack.  I than used an old 24 volt fuel pump to pump the oil  from the tank to the solenoid valve and hence to the exhaust stack.  I installed new switch near the throttle, and hooked the solenoid in series with the pump.  Thus when I close the switch the pump comes on and the valve opens.  Has worked fine for about 1,500 now.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby 

In a message dated 8/14/2008 10:36:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wlannon(at)persona.ca (wlannon(at)persona.ca) writes:
[quote]

wlannon(at)persona.ca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: CJ-6 oil thinning system Reply with quote

Because it is a potential hazard from inadvertent operation or from a
leaking solenoid valve.
Disabling the switch will take care of the first. The second requires at
least removal of the fuel feed hose.

The need for oil dilution ended in virtually all climates with the advent of
aviation multi-grade oils.
It was a "necessary evil" in the "good old days" of bush flying in the
Canadian North. The idea was borrowed from some of the truck operators and
developed for aircraft use by a gentleman named Tommy Siers in 1928 who just
happened to be my boss when I started with the airlines in 1951. That
earned Tommy the McKee Trophy in 1940 for outstanding contribution to
Canadian aviation. By that time it had been incorporated into most of the
larger military and civil aircraft worldwide.

It served a useful purpose in those days but not without cost. The sludge
build up inside the engine and propellor dome became a major problem with
later engines using 100/130 and 115/145 avgas due to the high lead (PB)
content. That was when the system was properly operated. When improperly
operated the likely result was engine failure due to loss of lubrication.

Walt

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: