Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak-55M Airframe Hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g.hendricks(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Yak-55M Airframe Hardware Reply with quote

OK all you Yakers...anybody out there planning a trip through Ismailovsky Park just north of Moscow anytime soon ??

I’m trying to find floating nutplates that are used to attach Fairings covering the ~ 3inch gap between the Wing Butt and the Fuselage. There are about 6 or 8 on top and the same underneath the Wing. These nutplates have two lugs and look almost identical to the NAS686 except they are metric.

Best I can tell the rivet (lug) spacing is 16mm and the fasteners are 4mm.

My Yak-55M has two that are missing the floating part, and two more that are stripped out and should be replaced.

I’ve tried every place in the US I can think of and no one on this side of the Pond carries metric floating nutplates.

Any chance anybody knows where I can find these nutplates ??

The Metric Screw and Tool and other metric specialty houses say they only carry metric panel screws...no nutplates.

Also, the lower pindle bolt on the rudder uses a castellated shear nut keyed with a cotter pin (split pin) to hold on the rudder, and needs replacement. It looks like an AN320; however, it is metric. It appears to be a 6 or 7 mm, but with fine threads. My metric thread gage has nothing to match it...must be some specialized metric nut that was used by the Russians...any notion about what it could be and where to get them ?

Any help would be appreciated..this is all thats is holding me on the ground with this airplane.

George Hendricks
Fort Worth, TX

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Yak-55M Airframe Hardware Reply with quote

George,
Have you tried replacing the broken nutplates with metric rivnuts? Drill out the center of the broken nut plate and replace with a metric rivnut. They are readily available. http://mdmetric.com/prod/rivetnuttool/rivetnuttool.htm You'll need a rivnut tool of course. But they are not that expensive. Look down the page on the link I sent and you will see the prices for just metric rivnuts.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

scott-p(at)texas.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Yak-55M Airframe Hardware Reply with quote

Hi George,

For the small metric castellated nut, check a fine thread US nut--I have
discovered that there are a number of odd-sized (like 5.5 mm) nuts and
screws on the airplane that don't have standard metric threads, which
when you place the nearest sized US-standard on they fit perfectly. It's
weird, but I think some of these are reversed engineered from US standard...

For my money I'd just replace the wing-fairing nut plates with US, and
put in US screws. My fairings are about half-and-half right now (I use
flat-headed US to differentiate from the Russian pan-heads) and it works
fine. A bit of gymnastics to put them in place initially, but worth it
down the road.

Scott

g.hendricks(at)sbcglobal.net wrote:
Quote:

OK all you Yakers...anybody out there planning a trip through
Ismailovsky Park just north of Moscow anytime soon ??

I’m trying to find floating nutplates that are used to attach Fairings
covering the ~ 3inch gap between the Wing Butt and the Fuselage. There
are about 6 or 8 on top and the same underneath the Wing. These
nutplates have two lugs and look almost identical to the NAS686 except
they are metric.

Best I can tell the rivet (lug) spacing is 16mm and the fasteners are
4mm.

My Yak-55M has two that are missing the floating part, and two more
that are stripped out and should be replaced.

I’ve tried every place in the US I can think of and no one on this
side of the Pond carries metric floating nutplates.

The Metric Screw and Tool and other metric specialty houses say they
only carry metric panel screws...no nutplates.

Also, the lower pindle bolt on the rudder uses a castellated shear nut
keyed with a cotter pin (split pin) to hold on the rudder, and needs
replacement. It looks like an AN320; however, it is metric. It appears
to be a 6 or 7 mm, but with fine threads. My metric thread gage has
nothing to match it...must be some specialized metric nut that was
used by the Russians...any notion about what it could be and where to
get them ?

Any help would be appreciated..this is all thats is holding me on the
ground with this airplane.

George Hendricks

Fort Worth, TX

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Yak-55M Airframe Hardware Reply with quote

This will involve going off shore and the shipping cost sux but try West London Aeroclub. http://www.wlacrussianeng.co.uk/ They have a bunch of YAK parts and Suk also. Not cheap by US standards though.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of g.hendricks(at)sbcglobal.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 10:46 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Yak-55M Airframe Hardware

OK all you Yakers...anybody out there planning a trip through Ismailovsky Park just north of Moscow anytime soon ??

I’m trying to find floating nutplates that are used to attach Fairings covering the ~ 3inch gap between the Wing Butt and the Fuselage. There are about 6 or 8 on top and the same underneath the Wing. These nutplates have two lugs and look almost identical to the NAS686 except they are metric.

My Yak-55M has two that are missing the floating part, and two more that are stripped out and should be replaced.

I’ve tried every place in the US I can think of and no one on this side of the Pond carries metric floating nutplates.

The Metric Screw and Tool and other metric specialty houses say they only carry metric panel screws...no nutplates.

Also, the lower pindle bolt on the rudder uses a castellated shear nut keyed with a cotter pin (split pin) to hold on the rudder, and needs replacement. It looks like an AN320; however, it is metric. It appears to be a 6 or 7 mm, but with fine threads. My metric thread gage has nothing to match it...must be some specialized metric nut that was used by the Russians...any notion about what it could be and where to get them ?

Any help would be appreciated..this is all thats is holding me on the ground with this airplane.

George Hendricks
Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Yak-55M Airframe Hardware Reply with quote

George,
I have some 4mm and 5mm floating nut plates which I bought in Russia to restore my Yak 18 (CJ5). Do you have a photo of the plate which you need?

Also the "jesus" nut on the bottom attach point of the rudder on the CJ6 sounds like what you have described. I have them in stock. do you have a CJ6 nearby to check it?

Best from here,
Doug

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:46 PM, <g.hendricks(at)sbcglobal.net (g.hendricks(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:

I'm trying to find floating nutplates that are used to attach Fairings covering the ~ 3inch gap between the Wing Butt and the Fuselage. There are about 6 or 8 on top and the same underneath the Wing. These nutplates have two lugs and look almost identical to the NAS686 except they are metric.

I've tried every place in the US I can think of and no one on this side of the Pond carries metric floating nutplates.

George Hendricks
Fort Worth, TX

Quote:

--
Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp
Phone 509-826-4610
Fax 509-826-3644

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: