Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar II Center of Gravity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Firestar II Center of Gravity? Reply with quote

Would there be any Center-of-Gravity (c.g.) concerns with a Firestar II powered by a Rotax 503+"C" Gear Box+ Rotax Intake Silencer+3 Blade Warp Drive Prop? I had a good friend that had an accident in a Firestar II that might well be explained if this rather heavy power plant system would result in an aft c.g. He was a rather slim fellow probably weighing around 160 lbs. I would appreciate any information that you might provide.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
N111KX (Kip)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar II Center of Gravity? Reply with quote

As every Firestar is different, it's impossible to say exactly if the aircraft was out of CG. But, I have found that the FS tends to be an "aft" CG biased airplane more than forward with pilot weights of less than 180lbs or so. I can say that I have operated my FS aft of the factory suggested CG range as I am even lighter than your friend. That said, I have yet to find any dangerous flight characteristics in this CG area, even with spin entry and recovery. Again, the model in question may have been mis-rigged, or any number of other discrepancies to contribute to the accident.

Kip

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Quickie 1, N111QX
Atlanta
gaman(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Firestar II Center of Gravity? Reply with quote

My FS-2 with b box and pull start and my 170#s required some ballast to get into the recommended cg range.I think it could be possible with that combination of equipment and pilot to have an issue. Mine required 15# in the nose to feel right, although many on this list have had success aerodynamically trimming their Kolbs to fly well without the addition of ballast. My 2 cents worth.
---

lucien

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar II Center of Gravity? Reply with quote

Goodone wrote:
Would there be any Center-of-Gravity (c.g.) concerns with a Firestar II powered by a Rotax 503+"C" Gear Box+ Rotax Intake Silencer+3 Blade Warp Drive Prop? I had a good friend that had an accident in a Firestar II that might well be explained if this rather heavy power plant system would result in an aft c.g. He was a rather slim fellow probably weighing around 160 lbs. I would appreciate any information that you might provide.

My old FS II was setup exactly like that (well with a clutch but also without silencers on the engine) and the builder put 10lbs of ballast in the nose to get the CG to come out right.

He flew it for a while without the ballast; with him (large guy about 210 lbs) and full gas it was right at the aft limit. He didn't like the way it flew and put the ballast in to correct it.

Monster performance with that huge prop tho... well worth the additional weight....

LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: