Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost ready to fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stokesc(at)wildblue.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

After many years of on and off work my Kitfox Md 4 582 1050 ser # 1451is ready for inspection and paper work.
But one last problem and as I have been reading this list for some time I am confident there is an answser there.
I am beginning to break in the engine - it started nicely but very rough from idle to about 4000 rpm then it smooths
out - I have not run greater than 4000 rpm yet. When the engine stops it shakes violently in the motor mount.
So the question is - will the break-in procedure cure this problem? - Is the prop out of balance (even thou smooth at
4000 rpm)? - Is the prop pitch out of wack (different pitch on each blade) ? Any other ideas as to this problem.?
Thank You for any help you can give me.

Cecil Stokesberry in North Idaho - N161CP

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Cecil,

The 582 is notorious for a fierce vibration at idle speeds. There's no cure except adding a prop clutch. It engages at about 2500 rpm, after which vibration shouldn't be an issue. But if you're still vibrating at 4K rpm, you might have another problem. Are all the plugs firing? Have you checked those other variables you mentioned: balance, pitch and tracking? What prop are you swinging?

Marco Menezes N99KX
Kitfox 2 582-90 C-Box

--- On Fri, 9/19/08, Cecil Stokesberry <stokesc(at)wildblue.net> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Almost ready to fly
To: Kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, September 19, 2008, 5:39 PM

After many years of on and off work my Kitfox Md 4 582 1050 ser # 1451is ready for inspection and paper work.
But one last problem and as I have been reading this list for some time I am confident there is an answser there.
I am beginning to break in the engine - it started nicely but very rough from idle to about 4000 rpm then it smooths
out - I have not run greater than 4000 rpm yet. When the engine stops it shakes violently in the motor mount.
So the question is - will the break-in procedure cure this problem? - Is the prop out of balance (even thou smooth at
4000 rpm)? - Is the prop pitch out of wack (different pitch on each blade) ? Any other ideas as to this problem.?

Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

f.miles.tcp.833(at)clearw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Cecil – I have a K III w/ a 582 and know of several others and it is pretty typical for them to have to be above 3200 rpm to run smoothly. Have you checked the pitch on you prop? I.E. all blades the same? I had a small vibration problem when one blade moved on me. How long has it been since they were torqued?

Frank Miles
Lewiston, Idaho
K III w/ 582

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Cecil Stokesberry
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 2:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Quote:

Cecil, the best advice I can give for setting up a two stroke rotax for the first time is:

First check all carb jets, needles, air screw and idle adjustments to be sure they are set to factory recommended specifications for the engine, altitude and air temperature.

Next adjust the prop to a recommended starting pitch. Take time and care to be sure all blades are pitched equal and tracking is within limits.

Tie the tail to a tree, start the engine and let it warm up at 3000 rpm or less for a good 10 minutes. It should be running smooth at this point. If not there is something else causing the vibration. When warm give it a short full throttle run to check RPM. You want 6200-6300. If not, repitch the prop and do it again. Monitor the EGT to check that it is less than 1200 during the run up.

Ellensburg, WA
patreilly43(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Marco C Installed and plumbed the header tank today with the low fuel warning system you recommended from ACS. I bought the light also C but should have just used a Radio Shack LED.

Pat do not archive

Date: Fri C 19 Sep 2008 15:29:13 -0700
Subject: Re: Almost ready to fly
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Cecil C

The 582 is notorious for a fierce vibration at idle speeds. There's no cure except adding a prop clutch. It engages at about 2500 rpm C after which vibration shouldn't be an issue. But if you're still vibrating at 4K rpm C you might have another problem. Are all the plugs firing? Have you checked those other variables you mentioned: balance C pitch and tracking? What prop are you swinging?

Marco Menezes N99KX
Kitfox 2 582-90 C-Box

--- On Fri C 9/19/08 C Cecil Stokesberry <stokesc(at)wildblue.net> wrote:

Quote:
Date: Friday C September 19 C 2008 C 5:39 PM

out - I have not run greater than 4000 rpm yet.  When the engine stops it shakes violently in the motor mount.

Quote:

[quote]

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
tfox-List
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

[b]

stokesc(at)wildblue.net

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input..it has been very useful to me...this is my first
experience with a 2-stroke.
I have the 3-blade GSC and just pitched it and torqued it to 100 in lbs.
And it tracks nicely. The higher RPM the smoother the engine runs.
Which makes me think the prop is ok.
I have .5 hours breaking in the engine. As it warms up it smooths out.
During this time I have noticed that the brakes do not hold at appx 5000 rpm.
Tying to a tree is good advice. Ran at 5000 rpm (for 5 min after 10 min at 3200)
than quickly ran up to 6500 rpm which seemed to be max and back to 3000.
It seems to have great power and sounds good. EGT at 1100. Water temp 170.
Outside temp was 80 degrees. Front cyl runs hotter than rear.
The engine is now very smooth at or above 3200 rpm.
When I shut the engine off it vibrates considerably. Is there a preferred method of
shutting down - ign or throttle first ? or ?
If the oil injection fails, how long will the engine run before quiting?
What symptoms will there be ?
Thanks again !
Waiting for DAR
Cecil - N161CP

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Tom Jones <nahsikhs(at)elltel.net (nahsikhs(at)elltel.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Tom Jones" <nahsikhs(at)elltel.net (nahsikhs(at)elltel.net)>

Quote:
> So the question is - will the break-in procedure cure this problem? - Is the prop out of balance (even thou smooth at

Quote:

Cecil, the best advice I can give for setting up a two stroke rotax for the first time is:

First check all carb jets, needles, air screw and idle adjustments to be sure they are set to factory recommended specifications for the engine, altitude and air temperature.

Next adjust the prop to a recommended starting pitch. Take time and care to be sure all blades are pitched equal and tracking is within limits.

Tie the tail to a tree, start the engine and let it warm up at 3000 rpm or less for a good 10 minutes. It should be running smooth at this point. If not there is something else causing the vibration. When warm give it a short full throttle run to check RPM. You want 6200-6300. If not, repitch the prop and do it again. Monitor the EGT to check that it is less than 1200 during the run up.

--------
Tom Jones
Classic IV
503 Rotax, 72 inch Two blade Warp
Ellensburg, WA

Read this topic online here:

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 5267#205267]http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 5267#205267[/url]

[quote][b]

paul(at)eucleides.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

On Sat, September 20, 2008 9:05 pm, Cecil Stokesberry wrote:

Quote:
Outside temp was 80 degrees. Front cyl runs hotter than rear.

That's a sign that the mixture is leaner on the front cylinder. If the mixture is a
little too lean that can lead to seizing. I'd do some checking.

Quote:
....quickly ran up to 6500 rpm which seemed to be max and back to 3000.

IIRC, the rpm should be a little lower than that when tied to a tree. I believe you
want the max rpm capability at best rate of climb speed so static (runup condition)
should be lower and therefore you might set your prop for a bigger bite. Check your
engine operation manual or talk to Rotax for recommended optimal rpm. If the prop
doesn't have enough pitch, you won't be able to develop max hp without over speeding
the engine.

Never run that engine too lean. Biggest cause of two stroke early failures is seizing
from too lean a mixture. Richer mixtures provide substantial cooling.

--
Paul A. Franz, P.E.
PAF Consulting Engineers
Office 425.440.9505
Cell 425.241.1618

Tom Beirne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Cecil

What type of engine mount do you have for the 582, side mounted or bottom mounted, and what gearbox. The bottom mounts are known for vibration problems but the side mounts can only be used with the C gearbox in 3:1 ration http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/support/service_bulletins/sb17.htm

Alternatively it could be that your carbs need tuning and balancing. We had a similar problem with our Mk III 582 recently after visiting a flyin. Engine ran rough at lower RPM but smooted out at higher speeds. Seemingly some touchy-feely visitior may have reached into the front opening in the cowl and unknowingly changed the air screw (fuel/air mix) on the front carb putting them out of balance. The vibration was such that a precautionary landing was considered and I think we may have had a temperature imbalance in the cylinders that you have noticed also. This is an indication that one cylinder is richer/leaner than the other.

Here is a useful guide to setting up Bing carbs http://www.ultralightnews.com/enginetroublshooting/techtips/techtips2.htm. I'm sure you are already aware that one should remove the prop when doing this Smile

Quote:
Paul
Richer mixtures provide substantial cooling.

and sufficient lubrication, given that this is 2-stroke the lubrication is in the fuel oil mix.

Tom Beirne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

Quote:
Cecil
The engine is now very smooth at or above 3200 rpm.
When I shut the engine off it vibrates considerably. Is there a preferred method of

We never let the engine idle with the throttle fully closed (except during landing rollout), even descents are made at 4000 rpm to prevent plug fouling. After starting the engine is immediately set to just over 3000 for warm up, anything less than that produces 4-stroking in the engine and a lot of vibration. Allow a few minutes at this idle to let the engine warm up as the tolerances are very tight and things need to expand a little.

When shutting down again let the engine idle at it's lowest happy setting for about a minute to stabilise the temps then kill the ignition first. This will leave a good coating of fuel/oil mix inside the crankcase and cylinders. The fuel will evaporate and leave a film of oil to help resist internal corrosion.

With regard to oil injection failure symptoms the first will probably be the temps, have a read of http://www.kitfox.eu/technical/two-stroke/2-stroke.pdf on page 2. The document opens sideways but if you right-click and pick "rotate sideways" 3 times you can get it the right way up. I don't know how long it would last but I don't think that you would have long.

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

At 09:05 PM 9/20/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
During this time I have noticed that the brakes do not hold at appx 5000 rpm.

Your brakes should hold at full throttle. See the recent thread on
weak brakes. It included some very good information on pedal geometry
and tubing.

Quote:
Tying to a tree is good advice. Ran at 5000 rpm (for 5 min after 10
min at 3200)
than quickly ran up to 6500 rpm which seemed to be max

You will probably want to be closer to 6200 rpm on static run-up.
You'll get a better launch with the higher rpm, but may loose a few
mph top end.

Quote:
When I shut the engine off it vibrates considerably. Is there a
preferred method of

I know the 912s crowd has a tough time shutting down smoothly. (Check
the Rotax list for more info.) If my feeble memory serves correctly
some of them were shutting off the ignition at a "smooth" rpm and
letting the engine run down. You might try that. If you aren't averse
to spending some more money and time I highly recommend the RK400
clutch available at
http://www.air-techinc.com/catlist.asp?categoryID=atclutch&typ=Exclusives.

Quote:

It will get very, very quiet, then very hot & humid, and you may
notice objectionable odors emanating from your drawers. Wink
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to fly Reply with quote

More than likely it's the idle jets. The stock ones are too rich at near sea level. Go to the next leaner set and I think you'll see a marked improvement.
Deke

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: