Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Platypus Hop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicsv(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

To the rest of u it would be a crow hop (or negative Kolb Drop) but I think my Xtra looks more like a platypus.
Since all I have is 2.2 hrs. legal instruction all I can do is taxi practice for now.
I've taxied at 3600rpm and maybe 30 mph while keeping the tail hard to the ground.
This time I was down wind at maybe 2600rpm and no more than 25 mph.
I released back pressure on the stick but still with full back trim. This is actually neutral
elevator cause the prop just pushes it down. I just did this to keep the tail wind from pushing me
all over the place.
Bada Bing my first solo flight. I couldn't believe it did a 3 point lift off going that slow.
To my amazement I did'nt panic just held the stick where it was and slight easing back of power.
Landed like a feather.

Now I know to experienced pilots thats a non event but to a 60 yr old newbie that 3.5 second 6ft
altitude flight was monumental.
I was so tickled with myself I had to tell someone and then take a nap.

Vic
Xtra 912ul
N740VP
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Vic:

Careful.

You are not taxiing at 30 mph.

Three point position is perfect for takeoffs.

Check with Bill Sullivan on handling down drafts.

john h
mkIII
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
clrprop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Congrats Vic,
That's 6ft higher than I've been yet !

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Congratulations on your solo. You know you can never repeat that experiance. Always be prepaired to leave tera firma when taxiing . I have never flown a extra but the MK111 will lift off in that attitude no problem. It just wants to be off the ground .
Regards
Downunder
Tony
MK111

[quote] From: VICTOR PETERS (vicsv(at)verizon.net)
To: Kolb list (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:18 AM
Subject: Platypus Hop

To the rest of u it would be a crow hop (or negative Kolb Drop) but I think my Xtra looks more like a platypus.
Since all I have is 2.2 hrs. legal instruction all I can do is taxi practice for now.
I've taxied at 3600rpm and maybe 30 mph while keeping the tail hard to the ground.
This time I was down wind at maybe 2600rpm and no more than 25 mph.
I released back pressure on the stick but still with full back trim. This is actually neutral
elevator cause the prop just pushes it down. I just did this to keep the tail wind from pushing me
all over the place.
Bada Bing my first solo flight. I couldn't believe it did a 3 point lift off going that slow.
To my amazement I did'nt panic just held the stick where it was and slight easing back of power.
Landed like a feather.

Now I know to experienced pilots thats a non event but to a 60 yr old newbie that 3.5 second 6ft
altitude flight was monumental.

Vic
Xtra 912ul
N740VP
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

David Lucas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Quote:

Priceless Vic ! Absolutely priceless !

David.

Do Not Achieve

vicsv(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Wow All
Too much input for me to handle.
I told my feet which pedal to push but they would'nt listen, even at 5mph while
riding the brakes. After I instilled a little fear in them and 6 to 8 hrs later they got it right.
I can now taxi down the runway at 35 mph, tail up and on one wheel. ( just foolin)
I gave myself the practice I new I needed and it worked. I never go out in any substantial winds.
Jeremy said it right. Kolbs do lift off at lower than stall speeds especially with
that "Xtra" nose lift from a minor xwind. Seems to me you are flying as long as you stay in ground effect. You may not learn to fly on from this list but you shure can learn a lot about Kolb (peculiarities) No disrespect meant John but after 2 or 3 thousand hrs. nothing would seem peculiar.
Maybe my logic is a little off but it seems to me a ground loop at 25 or 30 mph is safer
than one at 60 while landing. Can I take off if I hopped a little to high and had no runway left. You bet. Can I land. Don't know yet. Haven't tried it solo.
I know everyone means well but at my age being told to be carefull sounds kinda funny.
If I were any more carefull I'd live to be 160 and nobody wants that.
I like Arty's (I think it's hers) quote " I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"

So Bill S. where exactly would you put that instructor in your Kolb? I'm assuming your doing better glad to hear it. Get right back on the horse (with instruction ofcourse) and if that doesn't work shoot him in the head. The horse I mean.

By the way my instructor is 200 mi. away roofing and won't be back till spring. Soooo I think I'll put the Full Lotus on for some fast snow taxi. No lets call it very low and very slow flight.

Vic
Platypus driver
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Vic:

Correct me if I am wrong, please. However, I have never seen an airplane fly below stall speed, in or out of ground effect ( or is it affect???). I try to understand stall speed will be a little less in ground effect than it is out of ground effect. I don't want to have any thoughts in my mind that I can ever fly less than stall speed. In an emergency, I might believe that it can. ;-(

Based on the little bit of Xtra flying I have done, I wouldn't depend on "nose lift" to much from the Xtra.

What little I know about aerodynamics, you can't ground loop a Kolb at 60. You'd have a hard time ground looping one at 30. It is hard to hold a Kolb straight down the runway in a 15 mph direct cross wind. There is an awful lot of resistance, in that big vertical stabilizer and rudder, to push it against the airstream.

"Hopping" to me, is flying. I consider flying being airborne. When the wheels are off the ground, you are airborne.

I believe one can legally log flight time from the time of engine start. I'd have to go dig in the regs to confirm.  I can not remember, for sure.............

Why flirt with disaster. If I had any idea I was going to get airborne, and did not know if I could safely land, I think I would wait on my instructor to teach me how. Then, when he turned me loose for solo, probably would not bust my butt.

I don't know about you. I'm pushing 70 and have to be more careful now than I did 10 or 20 years ago. I heal a lot slower now than I did then.

Kolb peculiarities may be the wrong word.  Maybe Kolb characteristics would be a better discription of differences between different aircraft.

Getting loaded up to head out to Larry and Karen Cottrell's for a few weeks. From there I plan to wonder around out West for a couple months, until I get tired of the Gypsie lifestyle, or run out of money and diesel fuel. Got the ATV and dirt bike loaded up and ready to go. I plan to be more careful out there this year. Last year I busted my butt at Nellis Dunes, my first attempt at riding dunes on a dirt bike. I did not have "solo" sign off. Wink After 11 months, I'm still recuperating from that one. No one told me sand dunes had nice gentle slopes up one side and drop offs on the other. Wink I know now.

john h
Kolb Pilot/Builder

Quote:

Jeremy said it right. Kolbs do lift off at lower than stall speeds especially with
that "Xtra" nose lift from a minor xwind. Seems to me you are flying as long as you stay in ground effect. You may not learn to fly on from this list but you shure can learn a lot about Kolb (peculiarities) No disrespect meant John but after 2 or 3 thousand hrs. nothing would seem peculiar.

Maybe my logic is a little off but it seems to me a ground loop at 25 or 30 mph is safer
than one at 60 while landing.

Can I take off if I hopped a little to high and had no runway left. You bet. Can I land. Don't know yet.

I know everyone means well but at my age being told to be carefull sounds kinda funny.

Vic

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
1planeguy(at)kilocharlie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeremy said it right. Kolbs do lift off at lower than stall speeds
especially with
that "Xtra" nose lift from a minor xwind.
*<snip>

Correction, said "planes"(Nothing particular there about Kolbs) can
liftoff lower than "stall" speed...i.e. "Bottom of the Green arc" (as
mentioned later in the post) or in FAA speak "V s" (Big letter V, little
letter s). Try to climb out of Ground effect at lower than Vs and you
will mush right back down..sometimes real hard. By the way, Ground
effect is generally considered approx. 1/2 of wingspan (30' wingspan,
15' off the ground). Now point of the post is don't get anywhere near
stall speed on the ground unless you are trained and capable of taking
off, flying and landing safely...

Jeremy

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Hi John/All,

Technically correct. If the aircraft is stalled, it can't fly. That's not to say the bird can't fly with the ASI at '0', though. Your plane can't read the ASI, so it will fly when it's ready. Have done it many times. Flew a Cessna 206 with half flaps, half fuel and solo. Took off, flew around with a ridiculous angle-of-attack. Flight well behind the power curve. Stall warning vane didn't go off, cause there wasn't enough airflow. The ASI is a trend instrument anyway, shows you where you've been. Keep in mind, stall speed will vary with weight, stall angle-of-attack does not.

This all varies with VG's, of course. ;^)

Ed in JXN
MkII/503
[quote] ---

David Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Quote:
Stall warning vane didn't go off, cause there wasn't enough airflow.

Don't buy that one Ed. It may not have worked because it was incorrectly set or it was jammed or the buzzer wasn't working or something similar, but not because there wasn't enough airflow. If it was flyable then there was enough airflow to move a serviceable vane and thus activate the stall warning horn, also assuming you were close to that critical angle.

Glad you returned safely to mother Earth though.

David.

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

David,

Sorry you feel that way, but anyone who's been around the vane-type
devices awhile can attest to their limitations. They go off routinely in
turbulence, for example. This was a factory-new aircraft used for
photography, everything working normally. In this case, lotsa power + well
below gross weight + high AOA = flight with no indicated airspeed or stall
warning. An AOA indicator would've been a more effective stall warning
device, but very costly.

Fly with a missionary or bush pilot sometime, they do the
unbelievable as a routine.

Ed in JXN
Do not archive.
---

David Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way,

Don't worry Ed. Good debate is what this is all about. Got about 1000 hrs in Cessna and similar types and understand the limitations of the Vane type stall warning systems. The stall warning can certainly go off in turbulence, but that's when the airflow change due to that turbulence is in the same direction , for an instant, as that of an approaching stall situation. So the system is working 'as advertised' ! Also got several hundred C206 hours' at all weights and configurations and have seen low indicated airspeed such as in the short field T/Off of Landing scenario, but with one exception, have never had 'no indicated airspeed' unless I was taxying or stopped ! I fully agree that the A of A indicators are the way to go, but something must be wrong to be able to fly with no indicated airspeed. Blocked Pitot tube for example. That was the 'exception', I had it taking off on a one way downhill strip and found out later that a wasp had decided to build his mud nest in the pitot tube = Flight with no indicated airspeed. Flew out just on familiar attitude and power settings, feel etc, but that was the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Fly with a missionary or bush pilot sometime

Got some time there. 3,500 + hours jungle flying in Papua New Guinea. Always had some airspeed indication whilst airborne.

Ed, something is wrong if you have 'no airspeed' indication if flight. Even the old 206 workhorse would show airspeed from about 20 knots. Can't relate to the Kolb yet, perhaps some others can educate me there.

Take care and Fly safe !

David.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

Vic,

I have to give you the same advice John H is giving you on this. If you are taxiing fast enough for the plane to fly, you are asking for disaster. The little hops can get much higher and out of control very quickly... There is a very good chance you will find yourself not in a hop any more and actually flying much to high to simply chop the power and let it come down like a feather. It all changes once you get higher !!! Pull the power and keep that pitch attitude higher off the ground, and you will stall and come down like a ton of bricks. BTW, the Kolb MK III Xtra actually pitches UP if you chop the power, which makes it that much harder if you have gotten higher than a couple feet. I am not trying to rain on your parade, it feels great and easy to hop a couple of feet in ground effect, but this is a setup for disaster if you are not ready to fly. If you have decided to teach yourself to fly this way, then I hope you have the skill to learn to fly without damaging yourself or totaling your airplane. If you are under the illusion that you will just continue to do crow hops and that they wont turn into anything more, you are probably in for a big surprise.

There are plenty of guys around that can teach you to fly your MK III Xtra. If you have previous flight time, it wont take you long to learn to fly a your MK III Xtra, it will be easy. Even just a couple hours in the air in a MK III Xtra will make all the difference in the world in your ability to solo in your plane. It will be well worth whatever trouble you have to go to to get instruction and do this the right way. You will make very little progress in your flying if you are rebuilding your airplane for the next year.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Platypus Hop Reply with quote

The ASI is a pressure differential gauge. No positive indication means
it is not sensing different pressures at the two sources.

Possible causes include:
Blocked pitot,
Static inlet in same airstream as pitot,
Gage is screwed up internally,
Pitot inlet tube disconnected at the gage.

Thom in Buffalo

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: