Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HKS Kolb Twinstar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcannon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

I flew my Twinstar this week for the first time . I spent last winter installing an hks engine, building a new fuel tank, wiring etc.
The twinstar / hks combo seems good so far. I have spent alot of time to get cht/egt/prop pitch all where they should be, and I am almost done. Looks like I will end up with around 1000'/min. climb, and gobs of cruise power(solo) In level flight when I add full power it very quickly will exceed vne. It is the 3:47 gearbox , 66" four blade "F" model powerfin set at 12.5 degrees at the tip.
cheers, Rob

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

Here's an attaboy for the positive report. Let us know where you are
located.
BB
do not archive

On 2, Oct 2008, at 8:46 PM, robcannon wrote:

Quote:

I flew my Twinstar this week for the first time . I spent last
winter installing an hks engine, building a new fuel tank, wiring etc.
The twinstar / hks combo seems good so far. I have spent alot
of time to get cht/egt/prop pitch all where they should be, and I
am almost done. Looks like I will end up with around 1000'/min.
climb, and gobs of cruise power(solo) In level flight when I add
full power it very quickly will exceed vne. It is the 3:47
gearbox , 66" four blade "F" model powerfin set at 12.5 degrees at
the tip.
cheers, Rob

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 7200#207200

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ropermike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

Rob, I have a Twinstar MkII. What was the HKS weight? What was on your plane before the HKS and how does the HKS compare? Did you need to modify your airframe much? I have a 503 and have often dreamed of having a 4-stroke. Thanks in advance!.........Mike

Dave Bigelow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

Rob,

Congratulations on the completion of your HKS project. I'm coming up on a year's flying with my HKS powered Firestar II, and have had zero problems. It just works - smooth reliable power on demand, plus low fuel consumption.

How about some pictures?

robcannon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

Rats ! I just wrote a long response(very slow typer) and added a couple pics. I went to preview it, and when I pressed the back arrow it was gone. grrrrrrr. I fly in coastal British Coumbia ( read BIG TREES everywhere), so I feel I need a four stroke. I like the 503, and if I flew somewhere more forgiving I would be happy with it. There are really no airframe mods to be done, you just make an aluminum adapter plate.
There are alot of decisions to be made along the way( you dont just bolt it on) (C of G, thrust line, gearbox, electical location, etc.) If you're a mechanically inclined (as opposed to "mechanically declined") idividual it is not that hard.
The finished package (fairing, instruments, brs, custom 12 gal tank, alum leading edge wrap wing, etc.) weighs 465 lbs. The gross is 750. Twinstars in the past have been flown waayyy over gross. A guy named Rick Trader flew a twinstar to Alaska and back loaded between 1000 and 1110 lbs !!! I will fly my plane for a year or so, before I even consider taking a passenger. At that point I will load it up heavy, and go high, with a couple chutes, and beat it up a bit. If it survives that I MIGHT take a light passenger on a still air evening. Wink cheers, Rob

aug 08 011.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  472 Time(s)

aug 08 011.jpg

aug 08 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  452 Time(s)

aug 08 002.jpg

ropermike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, please keep us posted!.......My Twinstar ll weighs in at 420 lbs with a 503. I was wondering what the weight difference would be for an even swap with the hks. My 503 will fly my brother and I (both at 200 lbs) with 5 gal fuel at 2700' msl fairley good but i would not go with 6 gal fuel!

Mnflyer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: HKS Kolb Twinstar Reply with quote

Hi Rob, congrats on getting your plane flying with the HKS, your going to like the engine, I converted my Kitfox about 2.5 yrs ago and now have 295 hrs and am very pleased with all aspects of the engine. It runs smooth need only oil & filter changes, spark plugs at 200+ hrs but do comply with the Service Bulletin on checking the carb flanges.

PS when converting from the 582 to the HKS the weight difference was 5 lbs more for the HKS, I now fly with 6 less gals of gas as I never need the wing tank any more so I feel I gain 25 lbs of useful load.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: