Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to buy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Greetings: I am in the market for a Kolb Mk III extra. My needs are specific and the perfect ship is essential, the Mk III extra will be used for Sport Pilot Flight Instruction and tail wheel endorsements. I am looking for a Rotax powered 912ULS as optimum, the 912UL will also be considered. Please provide all information via my private E-mail as listed with all pertinent information.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI
Very Happy

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

John,

And WHERE do you plan on giving flight instruction in the "XTRA" (not extra)??

I'll be your first customer.

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

Quote:
Greetings: I am in the market for a Kolb Mk III extra.> Thank you.
Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Mike Welch: Thanks, for the xtra, however, I am looking for that extra xtra, something special, a true labor of Love that someone is in need of letting go.
I am located in the Charleston and Trenton, SC.
Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

An aircraft w/ ELSA airworthiness certificate and a training exemption
can be used for instruction until it expires in Jan 2010. After that
this aircraft cannot be used legally in training except when the(an)
owner is being trained.

So, you might find such an animal but it is highly unlikely,
especially since there are precious few MkII Xtras for sale.

Thom in Buffalo

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Thom Riddle: Good morning, as a fellow New Yorker I would have expected you to have your facts straight. Please, I truly encourage you and all who post on forums such as this, to check your accuracy of the intended message. Thom, your overall statement is false and misleading, not to mention discouraging to owners of ELSA aircraft. Any properly equipped ELSA aircraft can be used for instruction and the Flight Instructor can be compensated for his/her time. And, I further encourage you to become more familiar with the CFRs they are the rules we must adhere to. Now, as a point of interest, I used the term “properly equipped ELSA aircraft” for a reason, No instructor is permitted to give flight instruction to a student in a “Single-center stick A/C” again please ref the CFRs.
Thom, congratulations on your Sport Pilot Instructors certificate, now correct me if I am wrong, that was less than 90 days ago, right!
Thank you.
Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI
Idea

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Herr Schmidt:

I know the FARS regarding the use of ELSA and SLSA for training. I had to know them for my CFI-SP practical test and was quizzed on this particular issue on July 19, 2008. Since you are disputing my summary of the facts, I suggest YOU look up the FARS (I know they are no longer called that by the FAA) and quote chapter and verse where it says that an ELSA can be used for training (other than for owners as students) after the expiration date which I am pretty sure is Jan 30, 2010 and that it does not have to have an exemption for this which is actually a very specific type of airworthiness certificate. At the end of this exemption period, if the owner does not change it to a regular ELSA airworthiness certificate, it becomes an aircraft that is illegal to fly, not just illegal to instruct in.

I have a friend who owns just such an ELSA certificated Sky Ranger that he built (he is the WNY Sky Ranger Dealer), in Chafee, NY. His partner in the airplane is urging him to get the A/W changed before it becomes a lawn ornament in January of 2010.

I wish you luck finding the Xtra of your dreams and wish you were correct about the ELSA's being eligible as training platforms after 2010, but you are mis-informed.

- Anonymous
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

John Schmidt,

The following is NOT a direct quote from the 14 CFR but is a quotation from the EAA publication entitled CFI's Guide to Sport Pilot and Light Sport Aircraft.

Experimental Light-Sport Aircraft
....Two-seat E-LSA are eligible to be used for hire for flight training through January 31, 2010....

Please let us all know if you can find a CFR that disputes this. It would make all our lives much easier and there would be no shortage of airplanes eligible for use as SP trainers.

- Anonymous
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

What the heck, John, I decided to look it up myself. It is in 91.319, which see:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/91.319

If the previous line is broken, try this http://tinyurl.com/43yhmm

Note in particular 91.319(e)(2).

This references 21.191, which see:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/21.191

If this line is broken, try this http://tinyurl.com/5x2mgo

Note that this applies to ALL aircraft issued an experimental airworthiness certificate, not just ELSA.

Apologies accepted Smile.

- Anonymous
John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Thom Riddle: Good afternoon, you have been a Sport Pilot instructor a total of 86 days. 86 days ago you we issued a rating to learn, understand and hopefully understand the complete subject matter. Like I said, “Please, I truly encourage you and all who post on forums such as this, to check your accuracy of the intended message” Now if you had read and understood the section, the complete section you would of realized my aforementioned statements were and are correct. Thom, its now time to go back to ground school and learn a real lesson of life, you are not the 86 day wonder that you think you are. Please also note the following Sec. 91.319 (h) as listed. The Letter of Deviation Authority
“LODA” The “LODA” is the path to my previous statement of “Any properly equipped ELSA aircraft can be used for instruction and the Flight Instructor can be compensated for his/her time”.

(h) The FAA may issue deviation authority providing relief from the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section for the purpose of conducting flight training. The FAA will issue this deviation authority as a letter of deviation authority.
(1) The FAA may cancel or amend a letter of deviation authority at any time.
(2) An applicant must submit a request for deviation authority to the FAA at least 60 days before the date of intended operations. A request for deviation authority must contain a complete description of the proposed operation and justification that establishes a level of safety equivalent to that provided under the regulations for the deviation requested.

Now, Thom, ground school is out for today, class is dismissed; your homework assignment is “Seek and Ye Shall Find” Section 61 Subpart H as titled Flight Instructors Other Than Flight Instructors with a Sport Pilot Rating and then move onto Section 61 Subpart K Flight Instructors with a Sport Pilot Rating.

Next ground school class will address correct and proper endorsements, the correct endorsement for a Certified Flight Instructor under section 61 subpart “H” is CFI ref Certified Flight Instructor, that is if you are certified under Section 61 Subpart “H”.

Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

Surprised

rowedenny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Quote:
So, you might find such an animal but it is highly unlikely,
especially since there are precious few MkII Xtras for sale.

Thom in Buffalo

Jetpilot has a nice looking 912s powered xtra in Florida, he is trying to
sell it last I heard.
Check it out.

Denny Rowe, Mk-3, PA

Dana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

At 08:10 PM 10/12/2008, Denny Rowe wrote:

Quote:
>So, you might find such an animal but it is highly unlikely,
>especially since there are precious few MkII Xtras for sale.

I know of two MKIII's for sale in my area (one in CT, one in RI), but I
think both have 582's, not 912's.

One of them, the owner also has a Thorp T-18; the other one's owner just
finished building a Kitfox.

-Dana
--
Lottery: a tax on the mathematically challenged.

rowedenny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Quote:

Now, Thom, ground school is out for today, class is dismissed; your
homework assignment is ?oSeek and Ye Shall Find? Section 61 Subpart H
as titled Flight Instructors Other Than Flight Instructors with a Sport
Pilot Rating and then move onto Section 61 Subpart K Flight Instructors
with a Sport Pilot Rating.

Next ground school class will address correct and proper endorsements, the
correct endorsement for a Certified Flight Instructor under section 61
subpart ?oH? is CFI ref Certified Flight Instructor, that is if you are
certified under Section 61 Subpart ?oH?.

Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

Yeah, Mike Bigelow (spelling?), also goes by Jetpilot, lives in Florida
which should be close for you. Has a real fine 912S powered Xtra with VGs,
and spades. Looks to be well equiped and super clean, plenty of pics in the
archives and video links of the plane in flight.
You can't miss, this is the bird you want!

Denny Rowe, N616DR, registered experimental.

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

You must be a lovely fellow to take lessons from. Smile
I had no idea that FAA ratings had TIG like military rank.

Most folks would not be interested in pursuing such "deviations" or
special letters.
Just as most would not want to go through the hassle of getting an
STC even though you could get almost
anything changed on a standard type certificated airplane with one.
Maybe a helicopter rotor on your C-150?

The request for a special deviation could be denied too.
BB
MkIII, suzuki
43250 jet engine mech USAF 1962-66
A&P
commercial rotorcraft pilot
PP privileges
long time

On 12, Oct 2008, at 9:54 AM, John T. Schmidt wrote:

Quote:

<adlerflug1(at)yahoo.com>

Thom Riddle: Good morning, as a fellow New Yorker I would have
expected you to have your facts straight. Please, I truly encourage
you and all who post on forums such as this, to check your accuracy
of the intended message. Thom, your overall statement is false and
misleading, not to mention discouraging to owners of ELSA aircraft.
Any properly equipped ELSA aircraft can be used for instruction and
the Flight Instructor can be compensated for his/her time. And, I
further encourage you to become more familiar with the CFRs they
are the rules we must adhere to. Now, as a point of interest, I
used the term properly equipped ELSA aircraft for a reason, No
instructor is permitted to give flight instruction to a student in
a Single-center stick A/C again please ref the CFRs.
Thom, congratulations on your Sport Pilot Instructors certificate,
now correct me if I am wrong, that was less than 90 days ago, right!
Thank you.
Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI
[Idea]

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 8361#208361

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

John,
Oh, yes, the DEVIATION paragraph.

Yes, I read that four years ago when it was first published. I also called the FAA about that particular paragraph. The guy's initial response was a chuckle, which is an unusual event with most FAA employees. Paraphrasing what he said, the bottom line is that this was intended primarily for gyroplanes because there is no such thing as an SLSA gyroplane. To my knowledge, there are no 2 seat type certificated gyroplanes that meet the weight limits for LSA. So, they had to write a provision by which someone willing to go through the process of applying for a deviation could get permission to use and experimental aircraft as a trainer after Jan 31, 2010.

I also asked about getting such a deviation for an airplane. Another chuckle followed by not likely because there are lots of SLSA airplanes to choose from as trainers. Since this phone conversation a couple years ago, more and less expensive SLSA trainers have come on the market, as have more expensive ones. There are also thousands of older type certificated airplanes that can and are being used to train AIRPLANE sport pilots.

Now that I know that the DEVIATION route was your intended path, I must ask why you didn't politely say something to the effect of

"Yes, Thom, I know about the expiration date of Jan 31, 2010. My intention is to get a DEVIATION after that date."

Instead, you chose to assume erroneously that I have not done my research. As a matter of fact, I read the FARS regularly, like some read the newspaper, and have been doing so since 1966 when I earned my private pilot certificate.

The tone of your unfounded, unwarranted, unnecessary, unkind, and unappreciated remarks was condescending and arrogant.

Since this is my last post on this subject, you may have the pleasure of the last word, if you choose... you pompous ass.

- Anonymous
John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Thom Riddle: Good afternoon, thank you for your permission and the opportunity for the last word. Once again, “Please”, I truly encourage you, Thom and all who post on forums such as this, to check your accuracy of the intended message.

So, it appears you are ducking out on your ground school homework assignment. The subject matter “correct and proper endorsements” along with proper communications are vitally important. The Flight Instructor Sport rating is very restrictive in nature and completely limited to the arena of Sport Pilots and the aircraft they may be certified to operate. The simple facts are I can give you ground school, however, your limited rating of Flight Instructor Sport prevents you from giving ground instruction to a Recreational Pilot and above, exercising the privileges of their certificates.

Your assessment of The Letter of Deviation Authority “LODA” is completely speculative as stated. The “LODA” for your edification is the answer to the many individual Letters of Deviation that were assigned to the many aviation organizations, such as the EAA, the PRA and the numinous Ultra-light groups and organizations that had certified BFIs and AFIs as part of their exemptions to conduct flight training. The FAA in the latter part of 2007 canceled all Letters of Exemption and all BFIs and AFIs no longer existed after January 31, 2008.

Thom, again your evaluation of the “LODA” strictly for Rotorcraft Gyroplanes is uninformed and erroneous; also it would be gratifying if Mr. Chuckles from the FAA was identified. If you so choose to discuss the world of Rotorcraft Gyroplanes, as a rated “Certified Flight Instructor Rotorcraft Gyroplane” I will be more than happy to bring you up to speed, however, your personal assessment of the process of the ”LODA” is completely off the mark of authenticity.

Thom, obviously you have no understanding of the path to achieving the “LODA”.
The path is simple, somewhat time consuming, however, extremely rewarding with the achievement of your very own personal FAA Letter of Deviation Authority. It opens the door for flight Instruction for compensation to the CFI that is willing to procure “The Letter of Deviation Authority”.

Thom I would have more respect for you, if you had the ability to simply admit the “Truth” that you were incorrect from the start and continued to be in error from your very first post until the last. And, yes, you can feed your ego with stories of Mr. Chuckles the FAA guy with no name and basically attempted to spin the subject to save face.

All of my posts were direct; they also included “Good morning” as well as “Good afternoon and concluded with thank you and sincerely.

You, however, choose, “Herr Schmidt”, “but you are mis-informed”, “Apologies accepted”, not to mention, “The tone of your unfounded, unwarranted, unnecessary, unkind, and unappreciated remarks was condescending and arrogant”, and of course your eloquent last words “you pompous ass”

Yes, Thom, I truly understand your persona, when the “Truth” fails you attack every thing other than the subject. Good Luck and thanks for your exercise in futility.
Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

Michael Sharp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Oh Great!

Another List DH!

Do Not Archive

"John T. Schmidt" <adlerflug1(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John T. Schmidt"

Thom Riddle: Good afternoon, thank you for your permission and the opportunity for the last word. Once again, “Please”, I truly encourage you, Thom and all who post on forums such as this, to check your accuracy of the intended message.

So, it appears you are ducking out on your ground school homework assignment. The subject matter “correct and proper endorsements” along with proper communications are vitally important. The Flight Instructor Sport rating is very restrictive in nature and completely limited to the arena of Sport Pilots and the aircraft they may be certified to operate. The simple facts are I can give you ground school, however, your limited rating of Flight Instructor Sport prevents you from giving ground instruction to a Recreational Pilot and above, exercising the privileges of their certificates.

Your assessment of The Letter of Deviation Authority “LODA” is completely speculative as stated. The “LODA” for your edification is the answer to the many individual Letters of Deviation that were assigned to the many aviation organizations, such as the EAA, the PRA and the numinous Ultra-light groups and organizations that had certified BFIs and AFIs as part of their exemptions to conduct flight training. The FAA in the latter part of 2007 canceled all Letters of Exemption and all BFIs and AFIs no longer existed after January 31, 2008.

Thom, again your evaluation of the “LODA” strictly for Rotorcraft Gyroplanes is uninformed and erroneous; also it would be gratifying if Mr. Chuckles from the FAA was identified. If you so choose to discuss the world of Rotorcraft Gyroplanes, as a rated “Certified Flight Instructor Rotorcraft Gyroplane” I will be more than happy to bring you up to speed, however, your personal assessment of the process of the ”LODA” is completely off the mark of authenticity.

Thom, obviously you have no understanding of the path to achieving the “LODA”.
The path is simple, somewhat time consuming, however, extremely rewarding with the achievement of your very own personal FAA Letter of Deviation Authority. It opens the door for flight Instruction for compensation to the CFI that is willing to procure “The Letter of Deviation Authority”.

Thom I would have more respect for you, if you had the ability to simply admit the “Truth” that you were incorrect from the start and continued to be in error from your very first post until the last. And, yes, you can feed your ego with stories of Mr. Chuckles the FAA guy with no [quote][b]

Roughing it' 1886

Mike
John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Gentlemen: Getting back to the topic, I have received a number of positive leads in my quest for that “extra” Xtra. I have contacted all leads. And, a very big thanks for all the information that was sent my way and please keep them coming.

Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Possums

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

At 04:59 PM 10/13/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Oh Great!

Another List DH!

Do Not Archive

Quote:
Please”, gentlemenm, as a matter “correct
and proper endorsements” along
The Letter of Deviation Authority “LODA”
is completely speculative as stated.
The “LODA” for your as a rated
“Certified the ”LODA” is
completely “LODA”.Deviation Authority”.
That's just my opinion though.

jwdfly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Reply with quote

Must be one of those voice generated thingey's

---

jb92563

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: FAA stuff Reply with quote

Is it the impression of the E-LSA 2 seater folks that after 2010 you can no longer give instruction or even fly them anymore?

Is the Letter of deviation a way of keeping your 2 seater E-LSA from becomming illegal? Or just the instructing for money part?

Sorry to rehash this but I am looking for some clarification and if I read the the regs it will only lead to more confusion.

I suppose you can reregister it as an Amatuer Built Experimental as well and still fly it but not instruct for money either?

I find it all rather confusing and open to too much interpretation.
Ray

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: