Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On a historical note and inquiry on the L-3805

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Bichier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: On a historical note and inquiry on the L-3805 Reply with quote

Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm glad every one made it safely home, I must admit it was hard to hold my tears seen those birds rolling out of the ramp, specially "triple two" (it reminds me so much my father's straight 560 YV-515P), thanks Jim for showing off what they can do! (even though we had lost sight of you we could hear that baby roaring the skies!)

I see that my intuition a few weeks ago that this group was genuine and fun was darn on right! It's a small world, and as we say: "the best perfumes come in small bottles."

I learned a ton and my Commander knowledge has grown exponentially!

Continuing on that note, on my way back from our wonderful meeting, I was reading and catching up on all those great materials given to us. Thanks all, specially Jim, sue, Barry, the speakers, the attendees and all those doing the hard work behind this great group.

I was surprised to see that on the handout to employees -May 1951 at the end of the Chicago Tribune column they mentioned "... the right motor -a 260 hp Lycoming..."

Did the prototype already had the O-435 in 1951? could it really get that much power without the geared engines? Or did she actually fly with the 190HP? (unlikely) how much hp could you get out of a O-435 in 1948?

According to our FGNews July'08 it's only in 1955 that the O-435-A were signed off as installed on June 3rd. You would thing the journalist would get it right since he was there!... may be he confused his notes and was just talking about future plans...

Anyway I am thrilled to have seen this great prototype and just trying to make sense of this remarkable feat and clarify the story.

On that note, Dennis Carter and Kenny Payton from Francis Tuttle Technology Center were really impressed by the enthusiasm of the group, I had a "couple" of beers with them after the fund raiser and they were ecstatic; they shared their frustration and general lack of interest by others in trying to get the ball rolling on remodeling the Blue Goose.

It seems that we are giving them a great encouragement; let's hope that the next time we see L-3805 she'll be in another shape! (personally though, I will agree with TR: I prefer the metallic color), but we can discuss that LATER!

what great four days!

thank you all again.

take care, and hopefully see you next year! in ... Portland?

p.

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List

moe-rosspistons(at)hotmai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: On a historical note and inquiry on the L-3805 Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

While at the Fly In, I spoke to Jack Chappal's daughter, however, I failed
to get her contact information. Could someone please help me?

Regards,

Moe Mills
N680RR
680Fp

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:57 AM
To: <commander-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: On a historical note and inquiry on the L-3805

Quote:

<pbichie(at)UTNet.UToledo.Edu>

Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm glad every one made it safely home, I must admit it was hard to hold
my tears seen those birds rolling out of the ramp, specially "triple two"
(it reminds me so much my father's straight 560 YV-515P), thanks Jim for
showing off what they can do! (even though we had lost sight of you we
could hear that baby roaring the skies!)

I see that my intuition a few weeks ago that this group was genuine and
fun was darn on right! It's a small world, and as we say: "the best
perfumes come in small bottles."

I learned a ton and my Commander knowledge has grown exponentially!

Continuing on that note, on my way back from our wonderful meeting, I was
reading and catching up on all those great materials given to us. Thanks
all, specially Jim, sue, Barry, the speakers, the attendees and all those
doing the hard work behind this great group.

I was surprised to see that on the handout to employees -May 1951 at the
end of the Chicago Tribune column they mentioned "... the right motor -a
260 hp Lycoming..."

Did the prototype already had the O-435 in 1951? could it really get that
much power without the geared engines? Or did she actually fly with the
190HP? (unlikely) how much hp could you get out of a O-435 in 1948?

According to our FGNews July'08 it's only in 1955 that the O-435-A were
signed off as installed on June 3rd. You would thing the journalist would
get it right since he was there!... may be he confused his notes and was
just talking about future plans...

Anyway I am thrilled to have seen this great prototype and just trying to
make sense of this remarkable feat and clarify the story.

On that note, Dennis Carter and Kenny Payton from Francis Tuttle
Technology Center were really impressed by the enthusiasm of the group, I
had a "couple" of beers with them after the fund raiser and they were
ecstatic; they shared their frustration and general lack of interest by
others in trying to get the ball rolling on remodeling the Blue Goose.

It seems that we are giving them a great encouragement; let's hope that
the next time we see L-3805 she'll be in another shape! (personally
though, I will agree with TR: I prefer the metallic color), but we can
discuss that LATER!

what great four days!

thank you all again.

take care, and hopefully see you next year! in ... Portland?

p.

--------
Peter 560 Dreamer

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 5721#205721

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Peter Bichier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: On a historical note and inquiry on the L-3805 Reply with quote

Now that Sir Barry is back I'll throw this question again:

I was surprised to see that on the handout to employees -May 1951 at the end of the Chicago Tribune column they mentioned "... the right motor -a 260 hp Lycoming..."

Did the prototype already had the O-435 in 1951? could it really get that much power on a single engine without the geared engines? Or did she actually fly with the 190HP?

According to our FGNews July'08 it's only in 1955 that the O-435-A were signed off as installed on June 3rd. You would thing the journalist would get it right since he was there!... may be he confused his notes and was just talking about future plans...

Anyway I am thrilled to have seen this great prototype and just trying to make sense of this remarkable feat and clarify the story.

barry.collman(at)air-brit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: On a historical note and inquiry on the L-3805 Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

There is a problem in ascertaining the early history of the L-3805 prototype, in that the FAA file has no Certificate of Airworthiness papers until one dated September 9th 1955, by which time it had accrued 938 hours of flying.
This showed that the previous CofA was issued on May 19th 1955 in the Experimental - R&D category.

However, it is understood to have had Lycoming GO-435-C2 engines installed "early in 1951".
Indeed, there is photographic evidence of what appears to be a suitably-modified nacelle to house the reduction gearing that is known to have been taken at Wright-Patterson AFB.
The L-3805 is known to have been there sometime prior to May 1951.

A Form 337 dated June 3rd 1955 detailed some changes to the L-3805, including installation of Lycoming O-435-A engines with Hartzell HC-12X20-9C/8433-6 propellers.
Whether the GO-435 engines were removed at that time isn't known, due to the afore-mentioned lack of paperwork.

Best Regards,
Barry

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: