Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oiling and Starting New AeroSport Engine w/ 2 PMags

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riffeljl(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Oiling and Starting New AeroSport Engine w/ 2 PMags Reply with quote

I've been working on my RV7A project for 4 years now. I chose to install 2 PMags on my new IO-360 from AeroSport - and am Very Pleased to this point. With 2 PMags I've got to have a LOT of failures for the engine to stop: battery, alternator, and both PMags. They are easy to install (bolt them in any way you want) and time (put #1 cylinder on TDC and blow into the manifold pressure tube a couple times). After timing the Slick mags on my '65 Mooney, this is Amazingly Easy. I chose AutoPlugs so I they cost $2/plug vs $20/plug (that's under $20 in plugs for the engine vs $160!)

But now it was time to start my brand new engine for the 1st time, so the question was: How can I crank the engine to get the oil pressure up - without starting ... and without taking a bunch of wires off.

I made a quick call to Brad (at EMags), who's been EXTREEMLY helpful, and we came up with an approach which I thought I'd share.

Check oil level
Sparkplugs: OUT
chock the wheels & friend in the cockpit on the brakes
Key Switch: OFF (which grounds both P-Leads)
Master Switch: On (sending power to both PMags)
Visually verify that the LED on both PMags are illuminated Red (showing they're in setup mode ... and Will Not Fire)
Place a Jumper wire between the Master solenoid and the Starter Solenoid (S terminal) to crank the starter

After the oil pressure came up. We put the plugs in and cranked it again. It started in about 2 blades and ran flawlessly. When I did a mag drop test, I got NO RPM DROP - at all! And both internal alternators in the Pmags tested fine.

I'd like to thank both Bart & Sue at AeroSport Power as well as Brad & Tom at EMags for all their help to this point. Both businesses deliver a great product, which they stand behind and have been great to deal with. I have no reservations in recommending them to any builder.

BTW, I took my PMags back to have the service bulletin work done and to see their solution. Both Brad & Tom took me thru the shop and explained in detail how the mod was done. I'm comfortable with their answers to my questions and their solution.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
webmaster(at)flion.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Oiling and Starting New AeroSport Engine w/ 2 PMags Reply with quote

The only question I have is: are the PMags not on CBs? It may be an ignorant question because I have LightSpeeds, but my ECIs operate from the switch but also have CBs. So when I went to pressure up the system, I pulled the breakers and used the switch to crank.

Anyway, congrats on the engine start. I just did mine a short while ago and I know how exhilarating it is. Almost in the air, eh?

Patrick Kelley – RV-6A N156PK – preparing for the Airworthiness Inspection!

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J Riffel
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:45 AM
To: rv-list
Subject: Oiling and Starting New AeroSport Engine w/ 2 PMags

I've been working on my RV7A project for 4 years now. I chose to install 2 PMags on my new IO-360 from AeroSport - and am Very Pleased to this point. With 2 PMags I've got to have a LOT of failures for the engine to stop: battery, alternator, and both PMags. They are easy to install (bolt them in any way you want) and time (put #1 cylinder on TDC and blow into the manifold pressure tube a couple times). After timing the Slick mags on my '65 Mooney, this is Amazingly Easy. I chose AutoPlugs so I they cost $2/plug vs $20/plug (that's under $20 in plugs for the engine vs $160!)

But now it was time to start my brand new engine for the 1st time, so the question was: How can I crank the engine to get the oil pressure up - without starting ... and without taking a bunch of wires off.

I made a quick call to Brad (at EMags), who's been EXTREEMLY helpful, and we came up with an approach which I thought I'd share.

Check oil level

Sparkplugs: OUT

chock the wheels & friend in the cockpit on the brakes

Key Switch: OFF (which grounds both P-Leads)

Master Switch: On (sending power to both PMags)

Visually verify that the LED on both PMags are illuminated Red (showing they're in setup mode ... and Will Not Fire)

Place a Jumper wire between the Master solenoid and the Starter Solenoid (S terminal) to crank the starter

After the oil pressure came up. We put the plugs in and cranked it again. It started in about 2 blades and ran flawlessly. When I did a mag drop test, I got NO RPM DROP - at all! And both internal alternators in the Pmags tested fine.

I'd like to thank both Bart & Sue at AeroSport Power as well as Brad & Tom at EMags for all their help to this point. Both businesses deliver a great product, which they stand behind and have been great to deal with. I have no reservations in recommending them to any builder.

BTW, I took my PMags back to have the service bulletin work done and to see their solution. Both Brad & Tom took me thru the shop and explained in detail how the mod was done. I'm comfortable with their answers to my questions and their solution.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ronlee(at)pcisys.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Oiling and Starting New AeroSport Engine w/ 2 PMags Reply with quote

Maybe their problems with the blow tube method have been resolved. Personally
I would not rely upon that method if a failure causes it to revert back to some mechanical
setting that may be bad for the timing.

Get it in your mind that if the engine runs very badly...to switch between mags to isolate
possible Pmag problems. Obviously you should have other things to check but don't skip
that one.

Ron Lee
[quote]

I've been working on my RV7A project for 4 years now. I chose to install 2 PMags on my new IO-360 from AeroSport - and am Very Pleased to this point. With 2 PMags I've got to have a LOT of failures for the engine to stop: battery, alternator, and both PMags. They are easy to install (bolt them in any way you want) and time (put #1 cylinder on TDC and blow into the manifold pressure tube a couple times).

[b]

riffeljl(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Oiling and Starting New AeroSport Engine w/ 2 PMags Reply with quote

Patrick,
If by "CBs" you mean circuit breakers, then the answer is Yes (actually ATC fuses a la Nuckolls book). I also have disable switches for each PMag that turn that units power off

Like you, I initially thought just disabling the power would allow me to crank the engine to get oil pressure without firing.

BUT, that won't work for PMags because they've got an internal alternator that keeps them running if they loose ships power (which is one of the reasons I chose them - no dual batteries or aux alternator required). So if I crank the engine w/ both fuses pulled then the PMags would fire anyway because their own alternators would kick in. They only way they don't fire is if the P-lead is grounded. And when I turn the ignition switch to Start - both P-leads are ungrounded at that point.

BTW, in case you're wondering why I have disable switches, the switches will be used on run-up to test that the engine Doesn't Stop when power is lost (ie that the internal alternator is working). I'll have to use the ignition switch to ground the P-lead to one PMag and use the disable switch to turn power off to the other PMag. If the engine continues to run then the internal alternator for that PMag is working fine.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: