Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced Landing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingCJ6(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

A story passed along with a good outcome; also just one more example of what an asset the Selbys are to our CJ/Yak community as well as simply great people.

Dave

###########

A SUNSET FLIGHT TO REMEMBER

May 5th cinco de miyo
  It was a Thursday night after a hard days work.  It was our Friday because we only work four ten hour days and have a three day weekend every week.  It had been raining off and on throughout the day.  After work I asked my wife Christie if she wanted to go for a ride in the Nanchang and watch the sunset.

The Nanchang is a low wing, retractable gear, airplane.  It’s a warbird, military trainer strait from China.  It was copied after the Russian Yak.   It has a  9 cylinder Quzhou Huosai-6A HS6A radial piston engine, a Maximum Speed of  230 mph, a Ceiling of 17000 ft. and a Range of about 450 miles.

The sky was beautiful with tall, puffy, popcorn looking clouds and they were sharp and clean.  Christie said she was tired and told me to take someone else.  I wanted to get out before the sun went down so I ran to the airport and pulled the plane out.  I took off by myself and flew to Marina to top off with fuel.

Once topped off, I took off over the ocean under a clouded ceiling.  The water was fairly calm with a 10 to 12 knot wind coming from the northwest.  I flew up the coast a bit and then just before Moss landing I turned inland towards the north.  I then headed north east over to crazy horse canyon about 10 miles inland from the ocean.  The sky was broken in that area and the sun was shining through the clouds leaving long rays of light stretching across the horizon and valley floor.

I was flying low over the treetops and hills, then I climbed around through the broken clouds to about 3500 feet witch put me on top.  I was soaring through the large canyons and valleys between the clouds.  I headed west towards the ocean looking into the sun.  It was spectacular as it was turning all the clouds orange and above the clouds it was crystal clear with a blue that you can only appreciate on the west coast.  I was in heaven.  It was smooth and peaceful.

I pushed the nose foreword to gain some airspeed to about 160 knots then pulled the nose up to a 45 degree angle and did a slow barrel roll around the sunset watching the horizon circle around me and my plane in slow motion.  I couldn’t stop there I had to unwind myself so I did another roll only in the opposite direction.  As I looked down through the holes in the clouds I saw a familiar sight.  I was over my ranch out in Prunedale.  I was approximately 4000 feet in elevation and I was having a moment.  I thought to myself, how come I didn’t make my lover come fly with me.  She didn’t know what fun she was missing.

I rolled to the right and then to the left, lazy eights, wing overs and then pushed the nose forward to gain speed so I could do a large slow loop.  As I entered the loop the sun was at my back.  I pulled the stick back slowly and was almost into the vertical position when the plane did a slight stutter or hesitation.  This really caught my attention because this plane (my baby) has never done that before.  The engine just started to shake. I had my hand on the throttle and before I could even pull it back the engine made this loud grinding crashing sound that I will never forget.  It was like that noise you here when you tee off with your driver and it hits a car in the parking lot.  CRACK, OH NO, CRASH!

The engine had locked up and stopped.  I was just climbing through the vertical position of my loop and not quite into the inverted position when this happened.  How many times can you say OH SHIT!!!?  Of all the positions to be in when the engine quit.  I pulled the stick back to my chest so hard and fast that the plane started buffeting.  I was inverted at this point with the sun directly in my eyes.  I had to relax on the stick so I could keep the plane flying and didn’t pull the wings off or induce an accelerated stall.  I couldn’t get the plane upright fast enough.  I didn’t want to loose any altitude and I surely didn’t want to stall the plane.  Not to mention I didn’t like being upside down without an engine.

As I rolled out of the top of my loop, I was starring at my propeller.  It had stopped at the 11:00 position.  What a bad feeling.  There was no noise from the engine.  My baby had let me down.  All I could here was the sound of the wind going by.  There was no vibration, no nothing what even resembled the normal purr and growl of my Nanchang.  I was flying a glider.  It was a feeling that you often have night mares about but this time it was for real.  I often wondered what I would do in a situation like this.  Usually it’s when you’re over the sierras or over a large body of water with no place to land when you think of these things. Now all I could think of was I was going down and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.  Why Me?

All the hanger flying and knowledge you receive over the years trying to prepare yourself for a situation like this and here it is.  A little unexpected but here it is and I new I couldn’t panic, just fly the plane.  There were so many things going through my head all at once.  I remember people saying, don’t panic. Sit on your hands. Evaluate the situation. Don’t do anything stupid.  Easy for them to say they weren’t up here with me.

Now I had to come up with a plan.  The first thing I thought was to get away from the hills and head for smoother ground.  I had lost my position from where I was earlier due to all the fun and excitement.  This time there were no holes in the clouds.  Go figure.

I turned the plane and headed west looking at the moss landing smoke stacks.  The sky was broken around that area and I could see the sun shining on the ocean.  I pushed the stick forward to maintain 80 knots.  I just kept telling myself to fly the airplane.  After I got the plane headed in what I was hoping to be the right direction, I finally got a chance to look at the gauges and try to make sense of what had just happened.  Of coarse there was no oil pressure or fuel flow or manifold pressure or rpm but the temperatures all seamed to be in order and in the Nanchang just like the Russian Yaks, the gear, flaps and breaks are all air operated.  I had about 50 atmospheres of air pressure in my main air supply and 55 atmospheres in my emergency air supply.  I didn’t see any reason why they shouldn’t work.  Now if I could just get the opportunity to use them.

I was getting closer and closer to the clouds and then started aiming for the low valleys in the clouds hoping to find a hole or something.  It was not a good feeling being up above the clouds so I kept telling myself it was a good thing to have some altitude.  It’s amazing how much altitude you loose when you’re gliding.

I left the master switch and radios on along with my artificial horizon thinking I might have to drop though the clouds.  Luckily they ran electrically.   I then spotted a hole under my right wing and could see the ground pretty clearly.  The problem was I didn’t have time to think about what to do, I just reacted and rolled the plane over and shot through the hole. The trade off for loosing all my altitude was a lot better than having to be forced to fly through the clouds.

When I came out under the clouds I was indicating just under redline, and I was about 850 feet above the hillside.  I could see the Elkhorn Slough right in front of me.
  My dad always said, first save your ass, second save the plane, third crash next to a road or civilization.  Did I say how amazing it was and how so many different things can go through your mind in such a short time.  I saw fields with rolling hills on the other side of the slough.  At least now I new I wasn’t going to die, not yet anyway.  I looked for civilization.  There was a gravel looking road leading to some farm houses and I said to myself that’s it!  I was on a mission.  I had a wonderful plan, I was going to land on that road and not hurt the plane and have good access to recover the plane and if all goes wrong I would be close to the farm houses and civilization so someone could find me and then everything would be just fine.

Next all that airspeed that I had gained from zooming through the clouds was scrubbing off fast and now I was over the slough thinking, am I going to make it across this mote or am I going to go swimming?  It was hard pushing that stick forward going down lower and lower.  Now this is just about the time when I thought to myself, boy, am I sure glad Christie didn’t come flying with me.  She would have already killed me by now.

By this time I was just crossing over the slough’s bank lined with trees and brush and could see that I was going to make it to the road.  I didn’t want to cycle the gear until I was positive I was going to reach my target.  When I finally reached that point, I cycled the gear.  Everything cycled fine.  I had three lights indicating my gear was down and three external mechanical pins indicating the same.  Next it was how long before I drop the flaps.  I made sure to get myself close enough to the road so I wouldn’t come up short. 

I dropped the flaps.  I then realized I waited a little too long and I was too high so I started doing S turns and set myself up for my landing.  Once lined up for the road, I felt some what relieved knowing I had made it to the road and was almost down.  Everything was working out just fine.

Next out of nowhere comes this little red car.  It pulled out of the field and turned right in front of me heading down the road driving about 2 miles an hour and now I begin to panic.spanstyle='mso-spacerun:yes'>  I can’t honk my horn, I’m in stealth mode and this guy is out for a Sunday cruise.  I look to the left of me and see fields with rolling hills but it was full of cattle.  I knew with my luck I would wind up hitting one of those things turning my plane and I into hamburger.  I looked to the right of the road and it was full of row crops.  My last option was the field just to the left of the road covered with tall weeds about two to four, foot tall.  I didn’t know what could be under the tall grass and weeds.  My options were thinning so I figured that weeded field was where I was going to take my chances plus it was close to the road and heading towards civilization.

I turned and had to give way to some telephone lines and some large power poles while skirting around a windmill.  The sun was setting over the ocean right in my eyes as I approached my new target.  As I was lining up for my landing I’m thinking should I keep my sunglasses on?  Should I have the canopy open or closed?  Should I turn off the master switch and radios?  I had switched to the Salinas tower frequency earlier just in case I needed to call to my buddy Rich in the tower.  I didn’t feel the need to alarm him so I just kept waiting to see what was in store for me. 

As I got closer to the ground I turned off the radios and the master switch, braced myself and held the plane off as long as I could to make sure I did a full stalled landing.  All of the events that have conspired to this point have taken about one minute.

The plane was getting close to touching down, I could feel the ground effect and I started to here the tall weeds hitting the gear.  I just kept pulling back on the stick holding the plane up as long as possible.  When the wheels first touched down my heart was beating so fast it almost sounded like the motor had started up again.  The plane glided along like it was on pillows or in tall cotton until one point when I crossed a ravine and could feel the nose wheel bottom out but still the plane took it just like it was supposed to.  The Nanchang has some really rugged landing gear, Thank goodness.

I stopped in about 400 feet.  I unbuckled myself, opened the canopy, stood up on the seat and looked around to thank the gods for putting this beautiful field here for me to land on then what do I see?,  That little red car passing by me with two guys looking straight ahead oblivious to me and my airplane.  If they only new.

I was only about fifty yards from the side of the road.  I started looking around me and wondered where, am I?  I grabbed my phone from under my seat and called Christie.  When she answered, I told her that everything is O.K. but I had just crash landed the Nanchang in a field.  She started screaming.  Maybe I shouldn’t have said the part about the crash landing.  She was hysterical.  It took me some time to calm her down.

Now after letting my wife proof read my story she told me I was over exaggerating the part about her being hysterical.  She said if anybody was hysterical it was me.  When I told her I was lost and didn’t know what to do, she new I must of hit my head or something. You know how us, men never get lost and always know what to do.  That was when she started to worry.
   While we were talking and telling each other how much we loved one another and how I never wanted to ever fly again, I jumped off the wing of the plane and started walking to the road where the slow little red car was heading.  It came to a locked gate.  I stood on top of the gate and could see the highway just over the hill.  I told Christie where to go and how to find me then hung up to call my next victim.

I called my good friend Scott and asked if he could come out and help me figure out what the heck I was going to do now.  Once telling him where I was he said he’d be right there.  Next I called my good buddy’s the Jims.

The Jims are two of the nicest people you could ever meet.  Jim JR. and Jim SR.  I called Jim Sr. and told him I was standing in the middle of a field because my engine on the Nanchang had just quit.  He laughed and said “What’s going on?”  I again told him I was standing in a field.  He didn’t believe me.  I started telling him the events that had just taken place starting from being at the top of a loop watching the sunset and the engine locked up.  He then said, “Is this for real?”  I assured him that it was and asked him for his advice on what the heck I should do?  He asked where I was and said he’d be right over.  Before I new it, I could see Scott pulling up the hill.  The gate was locked so I had adjusted it slightly so that I could get it open.

Once Scott and I pulled up to the edge of the field where the plane was sitting, we sat and looked at my Baby out there in those tall weeds, I started to feel pretty lucky.  Scott was just working on getting his pilots license and once his wife finds out that I had a forced landing she’ll probably never let him fly again, or not with me anyway.  We walked over to the plane sitting alone in the tall weeds.  It was camouflaged with its O.D. green military paint job.  We walked around the plane and could find nothing wrong with it.  The landing gear all seamed to be straight and in order, the engine didn’t have any huge amounts of oil spewing from it, then we looked at the propeller.  It appeared to be fine as well only until I tried to pull it through.  It was locked up tighter than a drum.  It wouldn’t budge either way.  We then climbed up on the wing looking for anything abnormal. 

When I looked back at my path through the weeds I could see three tracks where my wheels laid down the grass.  We decided to walk back and see how far it went and to take a look at what I missed.

As we started walking through the tall grass and weeds we came across that ravine that made my nose strut bottomed out.  It wasn’t very deep but at 60 to 80 knots I guess it can still bottom out your suspension.  Next as we kept walking we could see dirt kicked up where my main gear first touched down.  The two main gear had folded the weeds down and made two tracks.  It was like walking in a furrow.  As we got closer we could see that just beyond the spot where the wheels first touched down, there was this big round reservoir, about thirty feet in diameter and the water level was about 2 feet below the top surface.  My wheels had missed the bank by about a foot.  The reservoir didn’t have built up sides, it was just a big hole cut into the ground just adjacent from that wind mill.  I looked up at Scott and his eyes probably looked about like mine did.  We both said about the same thing too, OH SHIT!  We both starred at the pond for a moment and could not believe how lucky I was not to hit that thing.  I couldn’t have been more centered with it or closer to it without going in it.  I think I was more scared of what I had just seen than when the engine quit.

Missing that reservoir was so unbelievable, I never saw it.  Thinking back I remember holding the plane up for as long as I could, looking into the sun, and at the angle I was at you can’t see over the nose of that big round radial engine.  I do remember the plane floating in ground effect for a bit longer than it should have, with the sounds of the brush hitting the gear and the weeds possibly keeping the plane air born floating on top of the brush just long enough to get me across that pond.  Looking on the other side of the reservoir the weeds were laid down as well.  My gear just happened to touch down at the right spot.  Scott suggested I should go and bye a lottery ticket.  It’s hard to think you could be so unlucky and lucky at the same time.

As we walked back to the plane, my heart was beating more now than ever before.  As we got closer to the plane we could see my Lover pulling up in her car.  She was driving like Mario Andretti.  As she got out of her car she had tears in her eyes and what a beautiful sight it was to see her.  I gave her a big hug and kiss and then she started getting me all choked up.  I didn’t cry though.  I stood there like a man.  Well maybe I had just one or two tears.   She started hammering me with question after question.  I couldn’t get a word in edge wise.  Next we saw the Jims driving up.  Thank God.  They had the whole family with them.  It was like a reunion.  The only thing that was missing was I needed a beer.

We all walked out to the plane and by now the sun had set and the sky was starting to darken while the last bits of orange sky lowered over the horizon.  Jim suggested we tape a note to the plane with my name on it and leave it out in the field.  “If the people can’t see you landing it, how will they see it out here in the dark?” He replied.  It did seem to blend in quite nicely so that’s what we did.  The note had my name and telephone number on it.  I didn’t know what else to say.  For Sale, Please don’t take my plane, or, we’re just staying the night.

I called one of my good friends Steve who owns a trucking company and explained to him what had happened. He said he would be happy to help retrieve the plane.  He also asked “Is this the same plane you took me for a ride in over the ocean and down the coast?”  This is when I started wondering if any of my friends would ever fly with me again.

Jim started taking notes on what we were going to need in the morning to get this bird out of here.  We all gathered our things and left.  I closed the gate and said good bye to my Baby.  The next morning was to be a busy one.

I had called Eric a young friend of mine who would do anything for me.  He met me at our shop around 6:00 that next morning and we loaded up everything we could think of that might be useful.  I hooked up to our 18 foot flat bed trailer and Eric drove our 8 ton boom truck just in case.

When we drove up the hill to where the gate was, the lock had already been opened and I could see a couple of vehicles on the side of the gravel road across from the plane.  The field was green and along the side of the road about every hundred feet were these little signs that said stay off the grass.

The Jims were there talking to an older gentleman when I pulled up.  I got out of my truck, walked over to the crowd to say good morning.  That was when Jim told the gentleman,
 â€śThis is the man you want to talk to” as he is pointing at me.  Then the man said
 â€śCan’t you read the signs? 
My eyes opened wide as I looked the signs over one more time to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
  “You’re not supposed to park on the grass.”  He replied as he was pointing out to the plane sitting in the middle of his field.  I told him I was sorry and didn’t do it on purpose.  I told him I had a forced landing last night and wasn’t able to see the signs.  He asked “Why did you have to land in my field?”  I told him that it was the best place I could find at the time.  He asked what we intended to do.  We told him we were going to take the wings off and tow it out of here.  He asked if we needed any help. We told him no, and that we thought we had it covered.  The man then said O.K. walked over to his truck and he drove off.  I looked at the Jims and we all started laughing.  I couldn’t believe what had just happened.  I still think the Jims probably set me up or something.  That was too bizarre.

We walked out to the plane looking at how hard the surface was wondering if we could drive my four wheeled truck out without getting stuck.  We wanted to tow the plane to the edge of the road.  I backed the truck up to the plane, hooked my tow bar up and pulled the plane just like we new what we were doing.

I started draining the fuel out of the wings.  This took longer to do than it did to take the wings off.  Before I new it, the Jims had the wings off and the plane almost ready to go.  The only thing was we didn’t have the truck and trailer there yet to put it on.  Next we see this motorcycle cop heading towards us on the gravel road.  How did he find out we were here?  And what kind of trouble were we going to be in I wondered?  He pulls up and skids to a stop making a good cloud of dust.  The gravel must have been slippery.  It’s my friend Scott.  He had to come, check on us and see how we were doing.  All we needed now was Steve with his big truck and trailer.

Soon Steve pulls up.  He evaluates the situation then goes down to turn his rig around.  We took that time to take a walk down to show the Jims the reservoir that I almost landed in.  They were impressed.  Of all places to pick, I picked a place next to a wind mill and right over a reservoir.
  Once Steve got turned around and in position, we set up some ramps and pushed the plane by hand up onto the trailer.  Steve had these fold out supports for wide loads and it worked perfectly.  Next it was time to tie it down.  How the heck do you tie down a Nanchang onto a lowboy trailer?  Well Steve did it.  We had put the wings on the flat bed trailer.  I had gone down to the airport the night before and ran through every body’s hangers steeling cushions off all there couches for padding.  We laid the wings on top of the cushions and strapped them down.  We were set and ready to roll.

Scott took off down the hill ahead of us and when he did he must have hit that same slippery spot in the gravel because he slid sideways and kicked up a bunch more dust.  Steve jumped in his truck with me following him, the Jims were behind me and Eric brought up the rear.

When we started down the gravel road I could see a couple of cops down at the intersection below.  It was Scott.  He had called another officer and held the traffic back so we could get our convoy across the busy HWY 1.  Our boom truck is a slow hard to drive truck and poor Eric was a ways behind our convoy and didn’t get down to the bottom of the hill before Scott and the other officer had taken off.  Poor Eric.

Next with all the running around non stop and worrying about how I was going to get my plane out of there, I was finally in a relaxed mode knowing we had the plane picked up and on its way home.  I called my Lover and told her the good news and then it hit me.  Here I am following the Nanchang, our Baby, the wings are off, it’s on a trailer heading down the road and I’m following it.  Christie is talking and trying to comfort me and I start to cry.  I can’t believe all that has happened in the last 14 hours.  Christie is telling me how lucky I am and how she’s happy I’m still alive and so on.  It was all settling in now.  What an experience. 

As we pull into the airport, I was getting a really bad feeling about what everybody else might be thinking.  The last time they saw me I was zooming off into the sunset and now we’re coming home limping like we had just lost the war.  The good thing was is that it was just about noon and we already had the plane back home safely.  She didn’t even get one scratch on her.  Boy was I lucky.  I also had an awesome crew helping me bring her back.  I took every body to lunch and you should have seen all the people coming into the restaurant asking questions.

It’s been about six months now since my forced landing in that field.  I thought I should write down my experience before I forgot it.  Yeh like I’m going to forget that. Well it’s all the details I wanted to remember.  Everything worked out just right.  I don’t fly very high on local flights that often.  That night I just happened to be around 4000 feet.  I also was in an area were I was familiar.  The part about being above the clouds was a really bad feeling.  Seeing that road made me so happy, I really wanted to land on it.  The little red car was actually a blessing.  If I were to try and land on that road I probably would have hit a fence post or a telephone pole and I would have had to stop short to avoid the lines going to that wind mill.  The road wasn’t that wide.  I didn’t realize how tall the fence posts were until I was on the ground.  It’s just a feeling that you have inside, you think you’re supposed to land on a road.  The field had a lot more room for mistakes and when you don’t have a running engine your options are somewhat limited.  The road wouldn’t have been a good place to land.

It’s not a good thing to be a part of an elite group of people who have had a forced landing, but it is good to be in a group that walked away unhurt and without any damage to your plane.

Well the word is out and every body knows about my incident.  I soon found out that Sean Tucker and I have something in common besides our good looks. He landed in the same field as I did.  The difference was I landed inside my plane and he landed outside of his, but that’s a whole different story.

Once we removed the cowling and started pulling plugs we could see that there was something wrong with the number 4 cylinder.  We tried to pull that cylinder off but with no luck.  We then pulled the number 7 cylinder off and could see through to the 4 cylinder and saw that the master rod had broken close to the journal.  When this happened the rods had flared all the sleeves and made it almost impossible to get the engine apart.  So much for trying to save it.  It’s now a large paper weight.

Now we have a new engine and the plane is really running great.  Did I tell you my wife made me buy a brand new set of parachutes?                                                                              

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

Do you remember what your instructor told you when he simulated an engine out and pulled the power back?  First fly the airplane, second look for a suitable landing site, and third asses the EP trying for a restart. Avoid highways at all cost unless that is the only option. Landing on roads carry a high risk of finding wing grabbers there waiting to bring you to an abrupt stop. Power lines, telephone poles, fence post, bridges and cars to add to your pucker factor.
Should you open your canopy when you have a forced off field landing? I will and the checklist says to do so also.
Will I lower the gear to land off field? Again the checklist says not to or if already extended, retract them. At least the YAK check list says to. Again  that nose wheel is just waiting for a  pothole, rut, ditch,fence line hidden in the high weeds  or a terrace to catch it. If you are still moving fast enough, it could flip you on your back. 
So the next question is, do you step over the side or ride it in?
Would seem the good Lord sent a distraction in the form of a slow moving little red car to make this mishap pilot re-asses his choice in landing sites forcing him to do the right thing. Except retacting his gear (or never lowering them to begin with).
They still are making airplanes.  We still are not making new ones of you. The last time I checked my medical literature, we have not perfected rapid incubation to shorten developement time for that cloned stem cell.
Doc
Roger "Doc" Kemp
viperdoc(at)mindspring.com (viperdoc(at)mindspring.com)
Aint no sound like a Radial

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

Roger Kemp wrote:
Quote:
Will I lower the gear to land off field? Again the checklist says not to
or if already extended, retract them. At least the YAK check list says
to. Again that nose wheel is just waiting for a pothole, rut,
ditch,fence line hidden in the high weeds or a terrace to catch it. If
you are still moving fast enough, it could flip you on your back.
So the next question is, do you step over the side or ride it in?
Would seem the good Lord sent a distraction in the form of a slow moving
little red car to make this mishap pilot re-asses his choice in landing
sites forcing him to do the right thing. Except retacting his gear (or
never lowering them to begin with).
They still are making airplanes. We still are not making new ones of
you. The last time I checked my medical literature, we have not
perfected rapid incubation to shorten developement time for that cloned
stem cell.

We can Monday-morning quarterback until we are blue in the face but I
would have to say that the end result says that the decisions made were
correct.
You know, it takes cojones to lay your whole decision making process out
there for others to pick at.
The story is a keeper and probably will end up in front of all of my
students. Nothing like a real-life scenario to impart some education.
--
Brian Lloyd 2243 Cattle Dr.
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

Quote:
[Original Message]
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 1/7/2006 12:34:44 AM
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Forced Landing

Quote:
We can Monday-morning quarterback until we are blue in the face but I
would have to say that the end result says that the decisions made were
correct.
Tell that to him if he had ripped his mains off in the watering hole he

missed by a couple of feet. Or If that rut had been 2 feet deeper that his
nose gear bounced through. Tell him that while he is being crushed to death
by the wt of that CJ after it flipped on its back.
People smarter than me write checklist for a reason. This person was lucky
... that is all.
Quote:
You know, it takes cojones to lay your whole decision making process out
there for others to pick at.
We do it all the time in the AF, Navy, and Army aviation. We call it Flying

Safety meetings.
Quote:

The story is a keeper and probably will end up in front of all of my
students. Nothing like a real-life scenario to impart some education.

Will you tell them that as long as it ends ok, it was the correct thing to
do dispite the DASH-1 or and the check-list saying the exact opposite.
Since we seldom try to off field land an AF jet, guess it is a moot point
for us AF types.
I will still chose to follow the checklist and land gear up if I have a
suitable field to put down in. Otherwise, I will jetison my YAK for the
silk let down.
Doc

brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

Roger Kemp wrote:
Quote:
>We can Monday-morning quarterback until we are blue in the face but I
>would have to say that the end result says that the decisions made were
>correct.

yak52driver(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

KingCJ6

I'm sorry to hear about your forced off field. I'm glad it all came out OK for you. On a positive note, that is one hell of a story! One of the best I've read in a long time and I mean that sincerely. You ought to submit it for publication! We can all learn something from it.

My best regards to you and yours.
Frank (Houndog) Haertlein
N9110M
YAK-52

Quote:
###########

KingCJ6(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Forced Landing Reply with quote

Fortunately it wasn't my story, it was just passed on to me by fellow pilot.

Dave

In a message dated 1/8/2006 4:22:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, yak52driver(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:
KingCJ6

I'm sorry to hear about your forced off field. I'm glad it all came out OK for you. On a positive note, that is one hell of a story! One of the best I've read in a long time and I mean that sincerely. You ought to submit it for publication! We can all learn something from it.

My best regards to you and yours.
Frank (Houndog) Haertlein
N9110M
YAK-52

Quote:
###########

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: