Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting Ailerons with Polytone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt_riney(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Painting Ailerons with Polytone Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to put the color coat on the flaps and ailerons, and wondering what to do with aluminum torque tubes. The PolyFiber manual says Polytone may or may not stick to aluminum. If I prime the aluminum tubes and then spray with polytone will that work? How have others handled this part of the painting? Thanks.

Mark Rinehart
Kolb MkIII in Indy

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Painting Ailerons with Polytone Reply with quote

Mark, I covered the tubes with fabric & Painted them too with the whole
process, & it made the fabric gap seals seem like it was all just a part of
the wing. Polytone will NOT stick to aluminum. I`m sure , though, that if
you primed the tubes with epoxy primer, then sprayed polytone on top of
tacky primer, you would also be happy with the results.
Jim Kmet
MK-3C
Cookeville, TN
I don`t know who will win the election, but I do know who the losers are.
Us!
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Painting Ailerons with Polytone Reply with quote

My Firestar has Polytone over zinc chromate and both are peeling like a bad sunburn. My Mk III has polytone over bare aluminum with Aerothane over that. Just learned the hard way yesterday that it isn't sticking either. I didn't build either one but I've had very good luck painting aluminum parts when they are acid etched and alodined first. Just don't leave the parts in the alodine solution too long or a powdery residue can give adhesion problems, too. For some great ideas on alodining large parts go to the EAA Chapter 1000 website.

Rick

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Jim <jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net (jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jim" <jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net (jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net)>

Mark, I covered the tubes with fabric & Painted them too with the whole process, & it made the fabric gap seals seem like it was all just a part of the wing. Polytone will NOT stick to aluminum. I`m sure , though, that if you primed the tubes with epoxy primer, then sprayed polytone on top of tacky primer, you would also be happy with the results.
Jim Kmet
MK-3C
Cookeville, TN
I don`t know who will win the election, but I do know who the losers are. Us!
---

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Painting Ailerons with Polytone Reply with quote

Degreasing is the most important step.  An industrial detergent, not dish soap.Second, a scuffing with either 400 paper or scotchbrite pad.
Third, a light coat with rustoleum automotive spray can primer will do.
Never let any primer sit and get hard for more than a few days or you will have to at least re-scuff it.
BB, MkIII, no peels, no flakes.
On 4, Nov 2008, at 8:42 PM, Richard Girard wrote:
[quote]My Firestar has Polytone over zinc chromate and both are peeling like a bad sunburn. My Mk III has polytone over bare aluminum with Aerothane over that. Just learned the hard way yesterday that it isn't sticking either. I didn't build either one but I've had very good luck painting aluminum parts when they are acid etched and alodined first. Just don't leave the parts in the alodine solution too long or a powdery residue can give adhesion problems, too. For some great ideas on alodining large parts go to the EAA Chapter 1000 website.

Rick

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Jim <jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net (jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:
[quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: