Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HKS 700 E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

Guys, and Cristal,
I have completed the installation of a HKS 700 E to my Firestar II. Well actually I still have to hook up the tach and install two switches for the mags and add oil before I can fire it up. I am also waiting on a quick connect oil drain valve to put on the bottom of the oil tank. It should be here in a few days.

[img]cid:F08CF2F947A64692824ACDBC515F7378(at)larryPC[/img] [img]cid:5A99F2133B9E4A6998E7E1D7CF0B0F1E(at)larryPC[/img]

[img]cid:D2432AB1426C440398D6F640E2F8C8F3(at)larryPC[/img]  

As you can see there are a pile of wires and stuff all over the top of the engine, but at least every thing is contained on top of the engine. I made these pictures small for the band width challenged. If any one would like more detailed ( larger size let me know and I will send them back channel)

I purchased the engine from Jerry Olenik of Green Sky Adventures in Hawthorne Fl. I cannot stress enough how well he has treated me. I am not by nature and inclination to be mechanically inclined. In fact if I get grease on my hands I count the whole day as a failure. He took the time to answer any and all of my questions to guide me through a very traumatic experience. Smile Jerry has all the parts and modifications needed to mount one of these engines on a Kolb as well as worked out all the quirks and little things that you need for the installation. If any of you decide to go four stroke, you could not do better than Green Sky. I do think that there should be a "HKS for Dummies" manual since both Jerry and HKS only hit the high spots and leave some of the other stuff unexplained. However Jerry never complained when I called for an explanation of where this or that goes.

The great flying weather has of course departed for regions a lot further south. ( Yes Beauford, my heart bleeds for you, imagine having to endure 65 degree weather, how terrible) Perhaps it will get warm enough to get a few tests in to see the difference between this one and a 503. I of course will have to do a weight and balance first, but I hope to have it in the air soon.

Larry C

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

hks_installed.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.13 KB
 Viewed:  379 Time(s)

hks_installed.JPG

hks_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.22 KB
 Viewed:  336 Time(s)

hks_1.JPG

hks_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.61 KB
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

hks_2.JPG

grantr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

Larry,

Did you trade in a used engine for the HKS engine or is this a new plane?

It looks nice!

I would like a 4 cycle at some point.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

Yes, I traded in a 447 that originally came with the plane when I bought it in 1997. Without a muffler he gave me 800.00 for the engine. This is my third engine on the Firestar, and I have 447 hours on the plane. I sold the 503 to another pilot in Wash.

Another point of interest regarding the change is that I had an EIS model 2000 which is a two stroke model. I sent it in to Grand Rapids Tech and they changed it to a four stroke model and supplied the CHT,EGT, Oil temps as well as the oil PSI for a very reasonable price.

I really liked the 503 and didn't really make the change because I was afraid that it would fail. It was the fuel consumption that got me. Four gallons an hour at 64 mph is just not enough to go anywhere, and where I live every where is a long way off. I made the trip to Texas by putting an extra 10 gallons of gas in the back seat, but had no room for much else. If you pencil it out, you will save enough money with the fuel savings and the rebuild (300 hours if you follow Rotax recommendations) to more than pay for the HKS. Rebuild on the HKS is 1000 hours. I should be too feeble to either pass my BFR or get into the plane even with a "Geezer lift", before it needs the rebuild.

Larry C
[quote] ---

icrashrc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

Larry,

If you want to send me the high res pictures I'll be happy to make them available to all on my site. Just forward them to icrashrc(at)aol.com and i'll post a link for all.

www.ill-EagleAviation.com

do not archive
aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

Larry, I have an HKS on my trike and I love it, especially the fuel consumption. Another is the noise level, or rather the lack or it.I strongly suggest you review section 5 of the Installation Manual with respect to mounting the oil tank and the caution about the oil cooler mounting.

Rick

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell(at)fmtcblue.com (lcottrell(at)fmtcblue.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Guys, and Cristal,
I have completed the installation of a HKS 700 E to my Firestar II. Well actually I still have to hook up the tach and install two switches for the mags and add oil before I can fire it up. I am also waiting on a quick connect oil drain valve to put on the bottom of the oil tank. It should be here in a few days.

[img]cid:F08CF2F947A64692824ACDBC515F7378(at)larryPC[/img] [img]cid:5A99F2133B9E4A6998E7E1D7CF0B0F1E(at)larryPC[/img]

[img]cid:D2432AB1426C440398D6F640E2F8C8F3(at)larryPC[/img]

As you can see there are a pile of wires and stuff all over the top of the engine, but at least every thing is contained on top of the engine. I made these pictures small for the band width challenged. If any one would like more detailed ( larger size let me know and I will send them back channel)

I purchased the engine from Jerry Olenik of Green Sky Adventures in Hawthorne Fl. I cannot stress enough how well he has treated me. I am not by nature and inclination to be mechanically inclined. In fact if I get grease on my hands I count the whole day as a failure. He took the time to answer any and all of my questions to guide me through a very traumatic experience. Smile Jerry has all the parts and modifications needed to mount one of these engines on a Kolb as well as worked out all the quirks and little things that you need for the installation. If any of you decide to go four stroke, you could not do better than Green Sky. I do think that there should be a "HKS for Dummies" manual since both Jerry and HKS only hit the high spots and leave some of the other stuff unexplained. However Jerry never complained when I called for an explanation of where this or that goes.

The great flying weather has of course departed for regions a lot further south. ( Yes Beauford, my heart bleeds for you, imagine having to endure 65 degree weather, how terrible) Perhaps it will get warm enough to get a few tests in to see the difference between this one and a 503. I of course will have to do a weight and balance first, but I hope to have it in the air soon.

Larry C

hks_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.22 KB
 Viewed:  326 Time(s)

hks_1.JPG

hks_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.61 KB
 Viewed:  306 Time(s)

hks_2.JPG

hks_installed.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.13 KB
 Viewed:  309 Time(s)

hks_installed.JPG

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

[quote] ---

Mnflyer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

Hi Larry I think your going to like the HKS I know I really really like mine, have 300+ hrs on it in the Kitfox and per my calculations its paid for vs the 582 I replaced, the cost of operation is 1/2 the cost vs the 582.

HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: HKS 700 E Reply with quote

I am soooo jealous!!

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC do not archive
In a message dated 12/8/2008 9:14:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lcottrell(at)fmtcblue.com writes:
Quote:
I have completed the installation of a HKS 700 E to my Firestar II

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010">Try it now.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: