Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912 enrichers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tc1917(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: 912 enrichers Reply with quote

I may be misunderstanding what John H was saying but my 912 ul 80 hp does
not have enrichers in the carbs. They have full butterly chokes in them. I
know for sure because I looked in there. Butterfly type is way better than
the rubber based enricher valve. I used my enricher valve to save my butt
once. I had icing (I believe it was) and pulled the enricher lever and it
coffed and stumbled and lit it back up. It actually blew the ice off the
jet and away I went. Really sounded bad from the ground according to my
friend down there but I told him it sounded worse when a plane hits the
ground. I have had a recent chance to find out if the plunger style gas
unit works the same in an emergency on a challenger -- it does not keep the
engine running!!!!! Did a really great two point landing. Had to take the
nose wheel out to stop in time but thanks to the fragil nose wheel of a
challenger, it folded just as I thought it would and I stopped in plenty of
time. Limited damage. My Kolb would have stopped in plenty of time. Ted

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: 912 enrichers Reply with quote

> I may be misunderstanding what John H was saying but my 912 ul 80 hp does
Quote:
not have enrichers in the carbs. They have full butterly chokes in them. I
know for sure because I looked in there. Butterfly type is way better than
the rubber based enricher valve.

Ted

Ted:

Check to see if your choke butterfly vavles are connected to your throttle cables.

The Bings on the 912 series engines use a rotary valve system for enrichener, rather than the plunger valve used by the two stroke Rotax. There are a couple o ring seals in them that need to be checked periodically. They could possibly leak if they go bad.

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: 912 enrichers Reply with quote

Ted, I'm going to assume you have the stock Bing 64's on your 912 and you haven't hung a Holley double pumper on it.That butterfly you saw when you looked in the carb throat is NOT a choke, it's the throttle. In the 64 this sets the vacuum level in the carb which pulls the piston up and sets the mixture. Unlike the two stroke Bings, the throttle cable is NOT connected to the piston. In the 64 the piston is suspended from a diaphragm inside that big cover on top of the carb.
What may be confusing you is that the linkage on the throttle cable should be set up so that the throttle butterfly goes full open should the cable fail. The throttle cable pulls the butterfly closed, not open.
NOTE: this could be changed as the 64's on my HKS do not have this linkage setup. On the HKS the throttle is closed by the spring, just like it would be on a BMW motorcycle, but a 912 should have the aviation linkage that fails open.

Rick

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:34 AM, <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>

> I may be misunderstanding what John H was saying but my 912 ul 80 hp does
> not have enrichers in the carbs. They have full butterly chokes in them. I
> know for sure because I looked in there. Butterfly type is way better than
> the rubber based enricher valve.

Ted

Ted:

Check to see if your choke butterfly vavles are connected to your throttle cables.

The Bings on the 912 series engines use a rotary valve system for enrichener, rather than the plunger valve used by the two stroke Rotax. There are a couple o ring seals in them that need to be checked periodically. They could possibly leak if they go bad.

john h
mkIII

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: