Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fired up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: fired up Reply with quote

Hi,
I managed to get every thing squared away today and fired up the HKS. I pumped up the oil pressure yesterday by removing sparkplugs and cranking it until the pressure came up. Then I tried to start it and found that my battery would not turn it over. I brought up the quad and used jumper cables and that wasn't enough either. I spent the evening trying to figure what was up. This morning I called Jerry Olenik to see what he could tell me.

I put the prop on it and brought up the truck and hooked it to that, and it fired, but was running crappy and backfiring. Called Jerry again and we went through the electrical hook up. I went back and ran a ground wire from the battery to the starter housing to make sure that it had a good ground. (apparently extremely important) I had run a ground wire from the starter housing to the ground block. Then he assured me that not being able to turn the prop over by hand was normal. (takes two and the power required is extreme) After that I got it running, actually starts pretty easy if you have the proper power to turn it over. Then it was backfiring. Another call to Jerry, found that I had hooked up the spark plug wires wrong. The wires in each module goes to different cylinders. DUH! (the only problem with the way the way I had it hooked up is that when you turn off one mag the other cylinder didn't have any power to it) Then I found that I wasn't showing oil pressure. Another call to Jerry, he suggested things to look at. I asked how tight the plastic fittings on the oil hoses could be tightened. Turns out they are painted alum and I didn't have them tight enough. Another DUH! That solved my pressure problem, but it was still running rough and backfiring. Jerry suggested that it might be denotation due to me using 89 octane. Off Karen and I went to Jordan Valley to buy premium, over icy roads. She is getting to be one of those old ladies like on the commercial "You are driving like a bat out of Hell"! Smile When we got back I fired it up again, no back firing, runs pretty smooth. The best is that it is half the noise of a 503. I plan to submit to Jerry a HKS for dummies type book, since I am quite sure that I made every possible mistake (misteak) that was possible.

Larry C

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: fired up Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
keep us informed of the HKS ....it should be a excellent engine for the firestar.....jim swan

do not archive
jim swan FS ll 503
michigan

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite lcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010">Try it now.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: