Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slipping with Flaps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris(at)southernskies.ne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Hello Listers,

I have a simple question:

Is it permissible to do a (hefty) forward slip with full flaps on a model 5 ?

Why do I ask? Short field, coming in over some tall trees, trying to get down quick. I have good roll control with flaps, just wondering about potential negative effects.

And another question:

Due to the nose pitching down so much with flaps I have to bump the electric stabilizer trim a good bit, otherwise lots of backpressure. Now if I had to go around it would be a bit busy to adjust flaps and trim quickly while adding power, taking carb heat off and looking at trim position indicator all at the same time. Leave the flaps alone until at a reasonable altitude, then trim?

Thanks for the input, its always helpful.

Chris Bowles
KF 5

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Michel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do I ask? Short field, coming in over some tall trees, trying to get down quick.

I am certainly not an expert, Chris but ... why do you use the flaps at all? On my model 3, they only add a bit of lift but no drag as it is necessary to prevent picking up speed as you put the nose down after the tall trees.

One of the funniest thing I have done with my plane is the time we had a navigation contest somewhere in the mountains. To win, one had to find five objects at five locations but also land at the time we thought we would.

Since the grass airfield was at the bottom of a deep valley, as I fly toward it, I realized that I was a bit after schedule and I had to make it as soon as possible to final. Because it is legal to cross the runway centerline before turning downwind, I went right for it. But then, I had to descent perhaps a couple of thousand feet from the top of the mountain to the deep valley. So, I did it by side slipping, one way, then the other, only a hundred feet over the tree tops on the slope. It was exactly the feeling of Alpin skiing! Shuuuuus! Shuuuuuus! Shuuuuuuus! ...

Anyway, I think that you can control pretty well any speed by only sideslipping. As you say, the pitch-down effect of flaps is ... unpleasant, to say the least.

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200 ... flying as PAX

<pre><b><font size color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

.Chris,
With about 80-90' trees on each end of my runway, I face a similar problem.
I used to head for the tops of the trees with a shallower glide slope and
then at the tree tops slip down to the runway, straighten out and land.

I now do it quite differently, and feel it is better way to go.
Essentially, I get on the steeper glide slope immediately on final with a
medium slip. I hold this all the way to the runway, straighten out and
land. I can steepen the glide slope by going to a more extreme slip or
flatten out the glide slope by reducing the slip.

I feel that this is safer since I can easily avoid the tree tops if I get
hit by an increase in head wind by just reducing my slip.

Oh, back to title, slipping works great with mid position flaps. I do slip
with full flaps, but the fox just doesn't seem as happy in that
configuration.

Randy
Kitfox 5/7, 912S 776 lbs
Warp Drive taper tip
--

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

But remember Michel, he's got a Model 5..isn't that a quite different
animal than your 3?....different wing, adjustable horizontal stab, etc?

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 596+ hrs
Sensenich 62x46
flying again after rebuild, and new Electroair direct-fire ignition
system;
also building a new pair of snow skis
do not archive

On Dec 16, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Michel Verheughe wrote:

Quote:
> From: Southern Skies [chris(at)southernskies.net]
> Why do I ask? Short field, coming in over some tall trees, trying
> to get down quick.

I am certainly not an expert, Chris but ... why do you use the
flaps at all? On my model 3, they only add a bit of lift but no
drag as it is necessary to prevent picking up speed as you put the
nose down after the tall trees.

Quote:
Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway

www.matronics.com/contribution</a>
List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List</a>
forums.matronics.com</a>
</b></font></pre>

Michel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Quote:
But remember Michel, he's got a Model 5..isn't that a quite different
animal than your 3?....different wing, adjustable horizontal stab, etc?

.. what? Different wings? I thought that we, angels, all had the same type of wings! By the way, do you think that when a bird dies, he gets ... wings? Or perhaps ... hands? Sorry, it's Chrstimas soon ... too much eggnog. You see, since I lost my driving license, there are no more reasons for me to stay sober! ... Cheers!

Michel Verheughe
Norway
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200 ... flying as PAX, even when sober

Do not archive

Tom Beirne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Michel wrote:
You see, since I lost my driving license, there are no more reasons for me to stay sober! ... Cheers!
<pre>

I'm glad to see that your glass is always half full (so to speak) these days Very Happy

LarryM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

I'm an extreme slipper with full flaperons deployed, door open (both) or closed - no problems.

larry

wingnut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Michel,
I've heard this line of reasoning before but I'm always a little confused by it. If your flaps add lift then doesn't that reduce your stall speed and therefore your minimum safe approach speed? If you minimum safe approach speed is lower then your angle of descent is higher for the same sink rate right? Am I missing something?

[quote] am certainly not an expert, Chris but ... why do you use the flaps at all? On my model 3, they only add a bit of lift but no drag as it is necessary to prevent picking up speed as you put the nose down after the tall trees.[quote]

Flying Weekly
Laurens, SC (34A)
Michel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Quote:
If you minimum safe approach speed is lower then your angle of descent is higher
for the same sink rate right?

I don't know, Luis. Does it? ... any expert in the audience? Smile

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Certainly not me, Michel, but my flaps slow me down, and I use them
for landing, but only halfway if the wind is a strong x-wind. Then I
want more aileron control.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 596+ hrs
Sensenich 62x46
flying again after rebuild, and new Electroair direct-fire ignition
system;
also building a new pair of snow skis

On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:24 AM, Michel Verheughe wrote:

Quote:
> From: wingnut [wingnut(at)spamarrest.com]
> If you minimum safe approach speed is lower then your angle of
> descent is higher
> for the same sink rate right?

I don't know, Luis. Does it? ... any expert in the audience? Smile

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway

www.matronics.com/contribution</a>
List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List</a>
forums.matronics.com</a>
</b></font></pre>

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Larry,
What are you flying?

Randy - Series 5/7
--

LarryM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Randy,
i have a MK1V Avid Stol wing with a 582.
larry

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Thanks Larry,
I just suspect that the Series 5/6/7 wing behaves differently than the
higher lift wing.

At full flaps on my 5, it takes a lot of forces to push the stick over to
slip and there is a lot of buffeting. This isn't there at the half flaps
point. I did put anther detent in at the 1/4 flap point when I built my
plane. I do use that often. It adds some lift but very little drag.

Slips are fun and very useful.

Randy
--

wingsdown(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Not sure where I heard or who told me or maybe I just read it, side
slips with flaps was not a good idea. I just never did them with flaps
for that reason. Maybe someone can refresh me on the why.
Rick

--

crazyivan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

There might be aircraft out there where the flaps blank the airflow over the tail and you lose control. Just a theory. But, I have never had a problem slipping my Speedster, with or without flaps.

Full flaps on my Speedster really throw the breaks out, but I lose a lot of aileron authority and get a lot of adverse yaw. Slipping with full flaps is possible, but the rudder/aileron/elevator coordination demands a lot more attention and it's not comfortable. Anything less than full flaps is no problem.

Forget the opinions and hearsay. Only one way to find out. Go up to 2500' agl, slow down to approach speeds with power off and full flaps, and kick in the most slip you or your airplane can do. I kick a lot of rudder with the opposite wing waaaayyyy down starting at 60 mph. I then pull the nose up a little to slow down to 50 to assure myself that I won't do a cross-control stall at my approach speeds.

I am now comfortable cutting a moderately aggressive slip on final close to the ground.

For the academic portion of the chat, flaps increase lift, and increased lift always increases drag. Additionally, flaps provide a nose-down pitching moment which causes you to pull more up-elevator, which increases drag as well. Since the Kitfox is so light then a 10% increase in drag just doesn't feel like much.

MichaelGibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Rick sez:

Quote:
Not sure where I heard or who told me or maybe I just read it, side
slips with flaps was not a good idea.

Cessna prohibits slips with flaps extended on the 172 and similar
models, but this is specific to those airplanes. Piper Cherokees can
be slipped with full flaps with no difficulty and I had no problem
slipping my Model IV Kitfox with flaps extended.

Quote:
I just never did them with flaps for that reason. Maybe someone can
refresh me on the why.

Light Cessnas exhibit some undesirable aerodynamics in that situation
because the flaps disturb the airflow over the tail surfaces.

Mike G.
N728KF, Kitfox IV-1200 Speedster
Phoenix, AZ

LarryM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

The Cessena prohibition is only on particular models with 40 degrees of flap travel. The models with 30 degrees are not prohibited.

I don't think that the wing airfoil influence the ability to slip, but merely the airflow over the stab. I would think therefore that all models of the Kitfox is ok to slip.

larry

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

Two words... Spam Cans!
Cessna advises in their POH not to do slips with full flaps as air coming off the wings is unsettled passing over the tail of the plane.
Noel
--

wingsdown(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

That must have been it. I was flying both the fox and a 172 and it must have been the CFI that slapped my hand in the Cessna. Thanks

Rick
[quote]
--

Beemer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Slipping with Flaps Reply with quote

The C-172 POH for the older planes has this limitation for 40 degrees only. There is no such limitation for the newer 172 models limited to 30 degree flaps.

Bradley

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 11:26 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Re: Slipping with Flaps

That must have been it. I was flying both the fox and a 172 and it must have been the CFI that slapped my hand in the Cessna. Thanks

Rick
[quote]
--

Middle Georgia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: