Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EI SC-5 clock doc error question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabowenjr(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: EI SC-5 clock doc error question Reply with quote

Hi Ron. I was finishing the install on the SC-5 tonight. I ran the brown wire in parallel with the oil low pressure light through the NC side of the pressure switch. Just to clarify C what did you end up doing with the orange wire since you said it was superfluous to the engine timer? Just leave it unconnected and tie it off? I appreciate your input C thanks in advance.

Jim B
[quote]

Date: Tue C 30 Dec 2008 13:28:13 -0800
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: EI SC-5 clock doc error

The previous post inspired me to share this recent discovery.

The EI SC-5 clock includes a non-resettable total engine time counter C essentially a Hobbes function. The manual says that in a 12V system C the ORANGE wire should be connected via an N.O. oil pressure switch to provide +12V on closure C when oil pressure develops C which will start the engine timer. This is a little tricky with the B&P oil presure switch C where the N.O. contact is normally grounded -- I even set up a little relay to power the wire that way -- but don't bother. Contrary to the manual C any time the RED +12V main supply wire is hot C the engine timer runs C regardless of what's is or isn't happening on the ORANGE wire. For example C if you're running the panel on ground power C perhaps for training or maintenance C or just entering a flight plan into the GPS before engine start C the engine timer will be ticking up C even though the engine isn't running. (The clock is supposed to be wired to a main bus or e-bus C so it's going to be ON when most anything on the panel is on.) Incidentally C the manual also says that in a 12V system C the BROWN wire should _not_ be connected to anything.

After considerable consultation with EI C it was confirmed that the ORANGE wire is at best superfluous to the engine timer function (or any function as far as I could determine) and the BROWN wire is what must be used to control the engine timer. The BROWN wire should be grounded when the engine is OFF C i.e. C wired through a N.C. contact on a B&C pressure switch C in parallel with the oil pressure warning light. When the BROWN wire's connection to ground is broken C on engine start C the engine timer begins.

So C what the manual says to do doesn't work C and what the manual says not to do is what you have to do to make it work. I suggested to EI that they should at least fix the manual C but they did not indicate any eagerness to do so. Hopefully C this work around will be useful others.

Otherwise C it's a nice clock.

Ron

Quote:

ww.matronics.com/contribution
-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ronics.com
[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: