Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreasySideUp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

I have been thinking of writing an article to the RPA magazine about spin training and was wondering the percentage of owners/operators of Yaks and Cj's that have had a formal/ informal spin/upset attitude course, how many have never done a spin and who spins their bird regularly. I am also interested if you know of other owners that have never done spins or are a little scared of them - Please no names. I had found much misinformation regarding the spin characteristics of my 50 when I was a new owner, mainly on the negative/caution/scary side that I have simply found untrue. This led me to an overcautious approach to finding the envelope on my plane and leads me to believe there are many others who could use a good spin training course. All planes spin a little differently but I have found the 50 to be extremely predictable in both upright, inverted and accelerated spins and able to recover within a few degrees of where I want to. With hundreds of spins, it has done exactly what I wanted it to every single time which was contrary to much that I had heard as a new owner. The conclusion I've come to is that there is a handed down fear from people not necessarily qualified to teach spins that has negative repercussions to both old and new owners who could really use the training.

I'll add that many CFI's who are legally "qualified" to teach spins have no idea what is happening in a spin aerodynamically and are a little scared of them themselves. There is no formal couse for teaching CFI's spins. This is unfortunate as bad habits and misinformation are passed along and perpetuated from one CFI to the next and if there is any trepidation at all in that instructor it will be passed immediately to the student.

Please give me your thoughts, as I absolutely do not condone teaching yourself from books, I am under the impression that a spin/upset attitude course by qualified instructors may be a welcome benefit as a sidebar to some of our formation clinics.

If you are doing any aerobatics or "Extended trail" inverted maneuvers including simple loops and rolls and are not completely confident and comfortable doing spins I would encourage you to stop immediately and find a qualified spin instructor for a few lessons. With a 1000 hours teaching aerobatics I have seen more than 1 loop wind up in an unintentional inverted spin. No big deal at all if you have seen it before. The lessons will be extremely enjoyable and you will have a new mastery and confidence in your flying abilities and your aircraft, once you learn to spin a stall is a no brainer.

The questions are this

1.Have you done a formal Spin/upset attitude course in an aerobatic aircraft (Including Yaks/Cj's)?
2. Have you done a Spin in your plane?
3. Have you done an inverted spin in your plane?
4. Have you practiced a Falling leaf stall in your plane?
5. Are you timid to do a spin because of something you have heard?
6. Are you timid to do a spin because of something that has happened in your plane?
7. Have you done basic upset attitude recovery in your plane( simulating inverted wake turbulence and stall recovery at low altitudes)
8. Do you know an owner who is afraid of stalls, spins or inverted flight in their plane?
9. Are you completely confident and spin your plane regularly?

Thoughts?

-Josh

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: