Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fabric rubbing on cage tubes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Have any of you ever seen anything similar to what I have attached here in the photos?
I am getting some fretting corrosion where the fabric is tight against the aluminum tubes on the cockpit cage.
I've received two suggestions...one to put some thin adhesive-backed weatherstripping between the tubes and fabric...another to use some clear duct tape on the tube to keep the fabric from rubbing it.
Keep in mind the fabric is really tight and I don't think I'll be able to easily get much of anything between the tubes and the fabric.

When you build these planes is there any instruction to put anything between the tubes and fabric?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

2008-12-20 cage tubing next to fabric.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.49 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

2008-12-20 cage tubing next to fabric.JPG

2008-12-20 cage tubing next to fabric2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.81 KB
 Viewed:  463 Time(s)

2008-12-20 cage tubing next to fabric2.JPG

2008-12-20 black oily substance leaking through fabric.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  628.25 KB
 Viewed:  536 Time(s)

2008-12-20 black oily substance leaking through fabric.JPG

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Hi Cristal,

It could be that the tubes themselves are moving and have come loose at their attach points. A careful inspection will need to done to find out if this is the case.

You might be able to re-glue the fabric to the tubes once you know what finishing system was used to cover the plane. You may have to partially remove the finish in a band along the tubes, re-glue the fabric to the tubes, add reinforcing tape and rib stitch the fabric to the tubes where the fabric is rubbing. Then reapply the needed coatings and repaint the color back on in the repair areas.

Otherwise you may have to recover the whole fuselage and rib stitch the fabric to the tubes to keep it from chaffing/rubbing.

No easy answers here unfortunately.

Best Regards

Carlos G.
AKA
BaronVonEvil

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

the fact that you know what fretting corrosion is impresses me. Are
you sure it is only a
metallic substance and not oil? I would go with the packing tape
suggestion if you can
get it in there, otherwise maybe one of those skinny venetian blind
slats?
BB

On 15, Jan 2009, at 10:50 PM, cristalclear13 wrote:

Quote:

<cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com>

Have any of you ever seen anything similar to what I have attached
here in the photos?
I am getting some fretting corrosion where the fabric is tight
against the aluminum tubes on the cockpit cage.
I've received two suggestions...one to put some thin adhesive-
backed weatherstripping between the tubes and fabric...another to
use some clear duct tape on the tube to keep the fabric from
rubbing it.
Keep in mind the fabric is really tight and I don't think I'll be
able to easily get much of anything between the tubes and the fabric.

When you build these planes is there any instruction to put
anything between the tubes and fabric?

--------
Cristal Waters
Kolb Mark II Twinstar
Rotax 503 DCSI

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 25022#225022

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/
2008_12_20_cage_tubing_next_to_fabric_581.jpg
2008_12_20_cage_tubing_next_to_fabric2_840.jpg
2008_12_20_black_oily_substance_leaking_through_fabric_923.jpg

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

I agree with Bob, Looks like oil...

One way to get the tape in place... Do like Bob said... Get a piece of
venetion blind... put the tape on it slightly ...use it to get between the tube and fabric and pull the tape in place...

Usually chaffing tapes are put on places before fabric is attached...

But where your showing....Wouldn't get chaffing tape...

Gotta Fly...

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Where in the cockpit cage does Kolb use aluminum?

--

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Quote:
Have any of you ever seen anything similar to what I have attached
here in the photos?
I am getting some fretting corrosion where the fabric is tight
against the aluminum tubes on the cockpit cage.

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Has the rubbing of the fabric rubbed off the primer paint on the tube?

Boyd Young
MkIIIC

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Boyd, It doesn't appear that any paint (or primer) was applied to these tubes...I didn't build this plane...bought it used.

Mike (planecrazzzy), If the chafing tape doesn't go here, where would it go?

Mike and Bob, If the fabric is rubbing with the tube it can cause bits of aluminum to come loose and oxidize and cause more abrasion. When the aluminum oxide mixes with EITHER water or oil it makes an oily-looking substance. I mix my gas and oil so it's not like I have an oil leak and especially not there. The condensation inside the cage or perhaps even from the inside of the steel tubing coming out where it runs into the aluminum tubing could add water to the mix.
Bob, don't be impressed...I just listened closely in Mike Huffman's repairman class.

Carlos, I will check for looseness. Is that what most people do...glue the fabric to the tubes? I will check tomorrow (if I can brave the cold South Georgia weather). Mine may have been glued originally and maybe the glue has deteriorated.

zeprep251(at)aol.com (name?), 12.584% of my cage is AL. (see attachment)
Wink Wink

12.584%.bmp
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.82 KB
 Viewed:  463 Time(s)

12.584%.bmp

The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Hi Cristal,

The way the fabric is attached to the fuselage depends upon the designer/ manufacturer of the aircraft and the fabric makers finishing system.

For Polyfiber the fabric is usually glued to the primary edges of the fuselage and shrunk down to a final tension. Then comes the sealer(Polybrush) that penetrates the fabric and will stick to tubes that the fabric is bearing against. If the fabric is in the propblast, depending upon the designer/manufacturer, the fabric maybe reinforced with a ribbon type tape, then stitches are used to mechanically attach the fabric to the tubes, and a extra layer of fabric tape is placed over the stitches and more Polybrush is applied to seal everything up. This is just a brief explanation and the fabric supplier's books, the A/C manufacturer manuals should be followed to assure a correct installation any covering. Also Advisory Circular 43-13 ( actually a book) is a good reference for fabric installation and many types of aircraft structural repairs too.

If the aluminum tubes are secure, then I would suspect that the fabric installation wasn't done properly. I would suggest that you ask someone at your airport who has done fabric work or an A & P Mechanic to inspect the fabric of your plane to see what your specific problems are.

If you were nearby, I would be more that happy to help you out but Georgia is a wee-bit far from Washington state.

Doing a fabric job isn't hard and can be somewhat fun. I use the PolyFiber process myself. It just takes a little patience and careful work to do a good covering job.

I am always looking at fabric covered aircraft to see how it has been done. I like to study how little problem areas (around windows, edges, fittings sticking out, etc.) are executed to learn from others possible solutions and mistakes too.

Let us know what you find.

Best Regards
Carlos G.

P.S. It's about 20 degrees here...

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

The way the fabric is attached to the fuselage depends upon the designer/
manufacturer of the aircraft and the fabric makers finishing system.>>

Hi,
there is talk here in the UK of precoloured fabric/plastic aircraft
covering.

That would be pretty neat. Shrink it on in the usual way with no spray
problems etc. to follow.

Cheers

Pat

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

cristal it would be a good idea for you to buy a Stits Poly fiber manual it would save you a bunch of questions about Fabric, Finishing Tapes, anti Chafe tapes, Paint,Poly Brush,poly Spray and How to use all of this and You would learn how to keep your Kolb in super shape with first hand knowledge

Ellery in Maine
do not archive

In a message dated 1/16/2009 10:26:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "cristalclear13" <cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com>

Boyd, It doesn't appear that any paint (or primer) was applied to these tubes...I didn't build this plane...bought it used.

Mike (planecrazzzy), If the chafing tape doesn't go here, where would it go?

Mike and Bob, If the fabric is rubbing with the tube it can cause bits of aluminum to come loose and oxidize and cause more abrasion. When the aluminum oxide mixes with EITHER water or oil it makes an oily-looking substance. I mix my gas and oil so it's not like I have an oil leak and especially not there. The condensation inside the cage or perhaps even from the inside of the steel tubing coming out where it runs into the aluminum tubing could add water to the mix.
Bob, don't be impressed...I just listened closely in Mike Huffman's repairman class.

Carlos, I will check for looseness. Is that what most people do...glue the fabric to the tubes? I will check tomorrow (if I can brave the cold South Georgia weather). Mine may have been glued originally and maybe the glue has deteriorated.

zeprep251(at)aol.com (name?), 12.584% of my cage is AL. (see attachment)
[Wink] [Wink]

--------
Cristal Waters
Kolb Mark II Twinstar
Rotax 503 DCSI

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=225219#225219

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/12584percent_119.bmp

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

At 06:51 AM 1/17/2009, pj.ladd wrote:

Quote:
there is talk here in the UK of precoloured fabric/plastic aircraft covering.

That would be pretty neat. Shrink it on in the usual way with no spray problems etc. to follow.

I saw something like that not long ago, but I can't find the link.

R/C'ers, of course, have had that for years in "Coverite", a precolored dacron fabric with heat sensitive adhesive on one side... you simply iron it on; the heat activates the adhesive and shrinks the fabric in one easy step. There's also "Monokote" (or the UK equivalent "Solarfilm"), a similar product except it's mylar film (to easy to rip for a man carrying aircraft!). Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw something like this for full sized aircraft, but where I don't know.

-Dana
--
The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and
delicious. And why shouldn't it be? -- it is the same the angels
breathe.

- Mark Twain [quote][b]

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

If you can manage to clean off the discoloration with a brush and
detergent then you should be able
to prevent further fretting with a strip of hardware store GOOP
cement in the problem area.
BB

On 17, Jan 2009, at 6:51 AM, pj.ladd wrote:

Quote:

The way the fabric is attached to the fuselage depends upon the
designer/ manufacturer of the aircraft and the fabric makers
finishing system.>>

Hi,
covering.

That would be pretty neat. Shrink it on in the usual way with no
spray problems etc. to follow.

Cheers

Pat

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Years ago there was a couple of guys who flew to the Arctic circle
Their planes had the plastic film like Monokote.... They had to do some repairs up there.... needed to get into the Hanger... Very TALL doors on the hanger... it said just to open the doors cost them $750 bucks...
I wonder if it cost that much to let them back out...?
You'd think they'll have a small hanger door on the side... Sheeees

Gotta Fly...

Quote:

there is talk here in the UK of precoloured fabric/plastic aircraft covering.

That would be pretty neat. Shrink it on in the usual way with no spray problems etc. to follow.
I saw something like that not long ago, but I can't find the link.

R/C'ers, of course, have had that for years in "Coverite", a precolored dacron fabric with heat sensitive adhesive on one side... you simply iron it on; the heat activates the adhesive and shrinks the fabric in one easy step. There's also "Monokote" (or the UK equivalent "Solarfilm"), a similar product except it's mylar film (to easy to rip for a man carrying aircraft!). Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw something like this for full sized aircraft, but where I don't know.

-Dana
--
The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and
delicious. And why shouldn't it be? -- it is the same the angels
breathe.

- Mark Twain

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Hey Bob... I'd bet Bathroom silocone would do the job...
Gotta Fly...
slyck(at)frontiernet.net wrote:
If you can manage to clean off the discoloration with a brush and
detergent then you should be able
to prevent further fretting with a strip of hardware store GOOP
cement in the problem area.
BB

On 17, Jan 2009, at 6:51 AM, pj.ladd wrote:

Quote:

The way the fabric is attached to the fuselage depends upon the
designer/ manufacturer of the aircraft and the fabric makers
finishing system.>>

Hi,
covering.

That would be pretty neat. Shrink it on in the usual way with no
spray problems etc. to follow.

Cheers

Pat

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Cristal,

May be I missed it. It seems that if fabric tension was high enough, it
could/would not fret. Can you push the fabric away from the tube? If so, I
would try heating the fabric and try to shrink and increase fabric tension.
It is easy to see if it is working by thunking the fabric and listening for
a higher pitched response. It may be worth a try.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Hi Cristal,

Just a little follow up. Were you able to determine the cause of your fabric rubbing problem?

Did you find a solution to the problem and what was it ?

Us busy-bodies would like to know Smile

Best Regards,

Carlos G.

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

The BaronVonEvil wrote:
Hi Cristal,

Just a little follow up. Were you able to determine the cause of your fabric rubbing problem?

Did you find a solution to the problem and what was it ?

Us busy-bodies would like to know Smile

Best Regards,

Carlos G.

Hi Carlos, Thanks for caring. I don't think any tubes are loose. I think perhaps the fabric was glued to the tube so I probably won't be able to get anything between the fabric and tube to keep it from rubbing. Maybe I should add more glue...or maybe I should tear the old off and recover it (ugh). I'm kind of lost on this one. I thought about attending the fabric covering workshop SportAir is hosting in Florida next month.
Lately it's been too cold to get out there and work on it. (I've really become quite the cold wimp since I've lived down in warm south Georgia for several years now.)

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Crystal,

I would try to reattach the fabric to the tube using Polytak, that is the glue that the polyfiber system specifies to hold fabric to a tube. No need to take the fabric off the tube to do this, just brush it in there. According to the manual, you can also add reinforcing tape to the outside of the fabric where it goes over the tube, that way you would have double fabric there where it started to rub through. If you plane was painted with polytone it will be a very easy job to add the reinforcing tape to the outside of your fuselage. If your plane was painted with Aerothane over the polyfiber coatings ( If its real shiny and hard like a car its aerothane, polytone is not brittle, and not a real glossy finish, you can almost see the fabric weave through it ), it will be much harder as you would have to chip the aerothane off before adding the reinforcing tape.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm kind of lost on this one.>> Cristal Waters
Kolb Mark II Twinstar
Rotax 503 DCSI

Ms Cristal,

Why not do a couple of easy fixes, if you are concerned about the tube abrading the fabric.

1) I ran a 3" wide reinforcement tape on the inside of the fuselage, encompassing the tube. First, secure one edge of the tape, along the top of the tube's entire length. Then, secure the tape on the opposite side, getting it a little bit snug. Once the Poly Tak has dried thoroughly, use your iron to tighten the centerline portion of the tape. It draws up against the tube very tightly. Then, a coat of Poly Brush.

Or, for a more secure reinforcement:

2) Another method would be to run a length of rib reinforcement tape on the outside of the tube, adhering it with Poly Tak. Wrap some rib stitch tape along the tube. Cover the outside rib rein. tape with a 2" wide piece of Poly Fiber. Paint the outside 2" Poly Fiber tape.

Seems to me either method keeps the fabric from moving again, although, the rib stitching method
is likely the most secure, plus the 2" wide Poly Fiber would strengthen the existing fabric that's touching the tube now.

Best regards,
Mike Welch

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: fabric rubbing on cage tubes Reply with quote

>>I'm kind of lost on this one.>> Cristal Waters
Quote:
> Kolb Mark II Twinstar
> Rotax 503 DCSI

Cristal:

Very difficult to diagnosis your problem and come up with a good solution
from hauck's holler. However, if there is movement between the fabric and
the aluminum fairing tube, you are going to have a black residue. Only way
to kill that is stop the movement between the tube and the fabric.

If I had that problem on my airplane, here's what I would do, whether it is
finished in Polytone or Aerothane.

Get some Polyfiber Paint Cleaning Solvent and clean the area over the tube,
about an 1.5" on each side.

Every 5 or 6" (or whatever you think will take care of securing the fabric),
drill an 1/8" hole on the apex of the tube for large flange aluminum fabric
rivets.

Stick a piece of reinforcing tape, 1/2" self adhesive over the length of the
tube.

Pop the fabric rivets.

You could probably get away with 2" finishing tape, or whatever width is
required to do the job. Brush on a 2.5 to 3" band of Polybrush, depending
on what width tape used, the length of the reinforcing tape plus about 5 or
6" beyond each end. Use at least two coats.

Get some 2" pinked edge trim tape and apply with polybrush. You might want
to make the ends of the trim tape tapered to a point, cut at an angle all
the way across with one cut, or you may want to round them. Whatever looks
best.

After the tape and polybrush dries real good, mask off about 2 or 3" on each
side of the fabric tube, again depending on what width of tape you decide to
go with. Get the gun and spray it. Would not worry about Polyspray (UV
protection) on this job.

If your airplane is finished in Polytone, you are in business, good to go
without a lot of prep.

If your airplane is finished in Aerothane, like my old MKIII, then you
probably should scuff up the area that will be repaired and painted, with a
little bit of sand paper or a scotch brite pad. From photos of your
airplane, it is probably finished in Polytone, if they used the Stitts or
Polyfiber system. Could be finished with Randolph Dope or some other
covering and finishing process.

I don't recommend rib stitching to round tubes, although my fuselage fabric
on the rear half is rib stitched and has held up quite well. The reason I
did not use fabric rivets for that job was all my fabric tubes are 4130
chromoly steel. I did not want to drill a bunch of holes in these tubes.
Would have been much easier had I used fabric rivets.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: