Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK grounding to be lifted soon ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerobat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

From the Zenair Europe site it seems the UK grounding could be lifted after some modifications agreed between the LAA and Zenair.

Here is the Zenair Site link and text below

http://www.zenairulm.com/News/index_files/Page849.htm
Information gathered at the meeting of January 23, 2009 between Zenair and the UK LAA: Like most other experimental kit aircraft available prior to 2005, the Zodiac CH 601 XL was designed to meet its stated specifications, performances and design parameters without specifically relying on JAR, VLA, LSA, or NTSB standards. After 2005 (and the introduction of the US “Light Sport Aircraft” definition), the CH 601 XL design was slightly modified so as to meet the ASTM standards for light sport aircraft (LSA). After 2005, all US-made CH 601 XL built to Zenair specifications meet the ASTM rules; in 2009, the CH 601 XL will mostly be replaced with the newer and sleeker CH 650 model, which also meets the ASTM definition for LSA.

In Europe, some countries (like the UK) simply do not recognize the national US Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) regulations. Instead, regulators (like the LAA in the UK) ask that imported aircraft meet some of the more stringent ICAO (international) VLA requirements. Structural tests conducted by CZAW in the past were designed to meet Czech ultralight and German LTF-UL requirements, but also to demonstrate that the CH 601 XL design meets specific elements of the VLA rule - to satisfy UK requirements.

Recently, after a thorough review of the way some of the tests were conducted, the LAA has raised questions about whether or not the pre-2005 CH 601 XL actually meets some the more stringent VLA standards that it requires. In order to eliminate such doubts, Zenair has now reviewed a number of LAA-proposed modifications which, if installed, would ensure all versions of the CH 601 XL/CH 650 design far exceed specified VLA minimum requirements. This would allow the UK to lift the grounding order it currently has in effect without the need for additional load testing.

These UK-applicable changes (for MTOW of 560 Kg.) include modifications to the control system (installation of a “spring-booster” for the elevator, and of balanced counter-weights for the ailerons); modifications to the center spar (addition of stiffeners allowing for theoretical operation of the aircraft with “loose spar-bolts”); and modifications to the POH (addition of a statement about “Max Zero Fuel Weight”)… The reason for the required aileron counter-weights is because the LAA does not accept “maintaining cable tensions within specifications” as adequate protection against a potential risk of flutter.

While UK CH 601 XL owners will need to install these LAA mandated “upgrades” to their 560 Kg gross-weight aircraft, it is not yet known how much weight, cost and complexity these changes will add up to; basic aircraft performances should not be affected in any way. After these discussions between Chris Heintz and LAA engineers, LAA officials are now finalizing their list of special requirements for UK-registered CH 601 XL. A “retrofit kit” will be made available for UK CH 601 XL owners once LAA requirements have been finalized.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

Aeorbat,

Thank you for this very interesting post.

I hope Chris will be issuing a general
distribution letter with his opinion on the LAA
changes and that someone (Chris, or ZAC?) will
distribute detailed drawings for the changes
Chris feels are appropriate for all the different versions of the XL

I am particularly interested in learning whether
the counterbalance proposal applies equally to
ailerons with piano hinges and the hingeless (original) aileron design.

Paul
XL getting close

Quote:
Recently, after a thorough review of the way
some of the tests were conducted, the LAA has
raised questions about whether or not the
pre-2005 CH 601 XL actually meets some the more
stringent VLA standards that it requires. In
order to eliminate such doubts, Zenair has now
reviewed a number of LAA-proposed modifications
which, if installed, would ensure all versions
of the CH 601 XL/CH 650 design far exceed
specified VLA minimum requirements. This would
allow the UK to lift the grounding order it
currently has in effect without the need for additional load testing.

These UK-applicable changes (for MTOW of 560
Kg.) include modifications to the control system
(installation of a “spring-booster” for the
elevator, and of balanced counter-weights for
the ailerons); modifications to the center spar
(addition of stiffeners allowing for theoretical
operation of the aircraft with “loose
spar-bolts”); and modifications to the POH
(addition of a statement about “Max Zero Fuel
Weight”)… The reason for the required
aileron counter-weights is because the LAA does
not accept “maintaining cable tensions within
specifications” as adequate protection against a potential risk of flutter.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

johnd(at)data-tech.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

Hi Sabrina,

Which accident are you referring to when you say:

Did the LAA review the US accident where it was clear that 6+ threads were showing on the main spar bolts?

I've been keeping up with the NTSB reports and dont see any references
to main spar bolts.

Thanks,
John Davis
601XL - N601JD
3.5 Hrs and counting

Sabrina wrote:
Quote:

Now that the findings are out, all those LAA insiders that have been writing to us and the list should answer these questions:

Did CZAW ever redesign the center spar webs to shift it those two extra degrees?

Did Zenith ever supply center spar webs to CZAW that were bent to the proper shape for the CZAW modification?

Is the current 650 center spar just the old 601XL center spar?

Does the LAA think that the twisting of the center spar webs, re-bending of the center spar webs or re-set of the center spar webs contributed to the accidents they reviewed?

Did the LAA review the US accident where it was clear that 6+ threads were showing on the main spar bolts?

Are the "loose spar bolts" they are talking about: not torqued properly or torqued against their own shaft rather than the spar?

Could the spar bolts that were found not to be torqued properly in that state because the bolt tip was cut off to save weight and the cutting off heated and damaged the nylo nut?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 27123#227123

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason for the required aileron counter-weights is because the LAA does not accept “maintaining cable tensions within specifications” as adequate protection against a potential risk of flutter.

I have a problem with this. I have yet to see a single bit of evidence that flutter caused an accident.

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

Hi Gig,

I agree with your comment -- to a certain
degree. I don't think flutter is behind the XL
accidents, so I don't think aileron balancing is
called for. Indeed I don't think there is an XL
aileron flutter issue in the real world - just in
the minds of some people trying to guess what might be happening.

It seems to me the LAA is a government authority
in Great Britain with responsibility for aviation
safety. Since the UK is a "Nanny State" when it
comes to aircraft certification compared to the
FAA it is reasonable for them to demand changes
which might not help but certainly wouldn't hurt
(as long as you don't mind the additional expense
and weight). Their edict should not directly
impact anyone outside their jurisdiction.

I would like to see a letter from Chris or some
sort of release from ZAC, Zenair, etc. with a
more complete discussion of the issues addressed
by the LAA. In Particular, I would like to
understand the scope of the design changes which
addresses which of the many different XL
configurations need help and which ones don't.
The LAA edict applies to LAA certified planes
which, I believe, have relatively standard CZAW configuration.

My XL has hingeless ailerons, so I am comfortable
that the design is sound in that area. As to the
wing attach bolts being loose, I think some sort
of inspection schedule is appropriate for
checking them. Perhaps annual inspection is
appropriate once the first few flights have been
accomplished. Perhaps the risk is higher than I
might guess so I would like to hear someone more
knowledgeable take a position on this.

As to the aileron cables and their tension, I
think this should be a preflight inspection issue
- at least for new planes and ones that haven't
been regularly flown and inspected. I don't
think we need an actual tension measurement, but
a look and "Pluck" inspection behind the pilot's
seat would be easy to do and should identify
cables that have become overly loose.

I hope we can all be comfortable with the notion
that we are not responsible for the LAA's actions
- only for making sense of the technical
information presented and taking action WE deem appropriate for our own planes.

Paul
XL getting close
At 02:00 PM 1/27/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
> The reason for the required aileron
counter-weights is because the LAA does not
accept “maintaining cable tensions within
specifications” as adequate protection against a potential risk of flutter.
I have a problem with this. I have yet to see a
single bit of evidence that flutter caused an accident.

leinad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

Gig,
I'd like to see the data that they made these judgements from too, but from what we all know I think they're reasonable.
1. You've got something statistically significant happening with XL crashes.
2. Even the EAA recommends control surface balancing because unbalanced control surfaces are PRONE to flutter.
3. Reports have been made by members of this list of experiencing flutter. I'd call that evidence.
4. There is is also some evidence (not everyone is convinced) that some of these incedences happened in straight and level flight.
5. Zenith proactively put out warnings about maintaining control cable tension. (I think they said to prevent flutter, not sure on this point)
None of this is proof that any of the failures were due to flutter, but some might conclude it's enough evidence so that some precautions should be made against that as a possible culprit.
I hope Zenith has some recommendations out soon,as I'm about to begin assembling wings.
Dan
Gig Giacona wrote:
Quote:
The reason for the required aileron counter-weights is because the LAA does not accept “maintaining cable tensions within specifications” as adequate protection against a potential risk of flutter.

I have a problem with this. I have yet to see a single bit of evidence that flutter caused an accident.

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: UK grounding to be lifted soon ? Reply with quote

Dan,

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. BUT, the single government report that has had any actual data specifically ruled out flutter as the cause for the accident.

If there is a problem with the 601XL finding the cause is being hampered by organizations harping on the one thing that has been shown NOT to be the cause in the one accident that has been at least somewhat investigated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: