Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back on the list after 9 years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbonewitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'd like to re-introduce myself to the list. I'm a Series V owner who purchased his kit from SkyStar back in 1996. Four years later I had my first flight in my Lycoming O-235 powered Fox. Almost nine years later, I'm still having a ball, though fuel prices have kept the hours low the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I've kind of lost touch with the "list" since finishing the plane, and have mostly been lurking.

This year, I've resolved to fly more (outside my commercial pilot job) and plan some longer trips away from base. I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area and over the past years have flown a handful of long cross-country trips. I've made two pilgrimages to OSH, two to Telluride Colorado, and one to the Grand Canyon, though it's been awhile since I've made any long trips like this. Hopefully, this will change this year.

I'd be interested to hear from any builders who have installed the O-235. I'm powering a Warpdrive 3 blade and the combination has been a joy - smooth and remarkably reliable, though I do miss the short takeoff roll you Rotax guys enjoy. Poor elevator authority in the flare has been the only real complaint I've had. It keeps flap use to one notch, and I always wheel land. I'd like to experiment with a combination of elevator gap seals and VG's to combat this. So any of you flying w/ the O235, please contact me on or off the list. I'd be interested in talking to you. Also, anyone who has used the "Land Shorter" VG's under the horizontal stab, I'd like to hear your opinion. I'm sure a search of the archives will produces some good info as well. I'm glad to be back. Hopefully I can contribute more in the future.

Best Regards,

John Bonewitz
Kitfox Series V

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
rjdaugh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

Welcome back John!

I remember your name from when I first started on the list about 9 years ago!

Randy
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>flying for 4+ years Series 5/7 912S Warpdrive taper tip

Do not archive.

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Bonewitz
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:46 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Back on the list after 9 years!

Hello everyone. I'd like to re-introduce myself to the list. I'm a Series V owner who purchased his kit from SkyStar back in 1996. Four years later I had my first flight in my Lycoming O-235 powered Fox. Almost nine years later, I'm still having a ball, though fuel prices have kept the hours low the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I've kind of lost touch with the "list" since finishing the plane, and have mostly been lurking.

This year, I've resolved to fly more (outside my commercial pilot job) and plan some longer trips away from base. I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area and over the past years have flown a handful of long cross-country trips. I've made two pilgrimages to OSH, two to Telluride Colorado, and one to the Grand Canyon, though it's been awhile since I've made any long trips like this. Hopefully, this will change this year.

I'd be interested to hear from any builders who have installed the O-235. I'm powering a Warpdrive 3 blade and the combination has been a joy - smooth and remarkably reliable, though I do miss the short takeoff roll you Rotax guys enjoy. Poor elevator authority in the flare has been the only real complaint I've had. It keeps flap use to one notch, and I always wheel land. I'd like to experiment with a combination of elevator gap seals and VG's to combat this. So any of you flying w/ the O235, please contact me on or off the list. I'd be interested in talking to you. Also, anyone who has used the "Land Shorter" VG's under the horizontal stab, I'd like to hear your opinion. I'm sure a search of the archives will produces some good info as well. I'm glad to be back. Hopefully I can contribute more in the future.

Best Regards,

John Bonewitz
Kitfox Series V
Quote:
  - The Kitfox-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

larry huntley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

Hi John,
I have a Soob( probably about the same weight as the O-235) on a 4-1200 and I found that elevator gap seals help. I can't /won't land w/ flaps as I just don't have enough elevator authority. I always 3point and find that just a few RPM added right at touchdown helps keep the tail on the ground.Not a problem,just have gotten used to it in 500 hrs.
Three pt and slow helps the tires. I am mostly on grass,but I am still using the original little fat tires that came with the Mod 4.
Flew a friend's 582 a few weeks ago. Just plunk it down and it stays there. What a difference.
[quote] ---

ruebd(at)skymail.csus.edu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

John:

Welcome back. Sounds like you could benefit from the “Help Me Joe” kit that is available from John and Debra McBean. I have installed it in my model 5 with excellent results. This kit is easy to install and couples the elevator to flap function and works on the model 5 or later control mixer, and is a great solution. My airplane has a Continental IO 240 for power, so we have similar nose heavy situations, and this will cure the major part of your problem. You might also take a look at your trim screw jack and measure it and ask John if a new one might be slightly shorter, giving you a little more up trim. If so that would be also a good mod and will contribute to solving the problem.

Have good flights, Duane Rueb N24ZM

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Randy Daughenbaugh
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:06 PM
Subject: RE: Back on the list after 9 years!

Welcome back John!

I remember your name from when I first started on the list about 9 years ago!

Randy
<![if !supportLists]>-  <![endif]>flying for 4+ years Series 5/7 912S Warpdrive taper tip

Do not archive.

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Bonewitz
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:46 PM

I'd be interested to hear from any builders who have installed the O-235. I'm powering a Warpdrive 3 blade and the combination has been a joy - smooth and remarkably reliable, though I do miss the short takeoff roll you Rotax guys enjoy. Poor elevator authority in the flare has been the only real complaint I've had. It keeps flap use to one notch, and I always wheel land. I'd like to experiment with a combination of elevator gap seals and VG's to combat this. So any of you flying w/ the O235, please contact me on or off the list. I'd be interested in talking to you. Also, anyone who has used the "Land Shorter" VG's under the horizontal stab, I'd like to hear your opinion

jbonewitz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good suggestions, both on and off the list. Regarding the elevator authority issue, I always thought it was a result of a generally forward CG. However, a friend of mine has a Series 5 w/ the much lighter 912, and he has the same problem. So it makes me wonder if control throw and/or trim jack screw length may be a contributor. I'm going to order the trim assist mod, and add gap seals while I'm at it. Still wondering about adding VG's to the elevator. Their money back guarantee is hard to beat.

While my CG is in the envelope, my configuration is a bit non-standard. I placed my battery behind the pilot's seat rather than above the tail wheel and balanced it with a ballistic parachute in the aft cargo. On paper, it works, but I think I would benefit from a little more weight in the tail. The ballistic chute is out of date, both rocket and re-pack, so I'm not sure it's doing me any good anyway - (This is an addition I probably wouldn't install if I had it to do over again), Maybe some day I'll take it out and relocate the battery.Anyway, I've got some good, inexpensive suggestions to go on - Thanks.

Like someone said, this airplane loves to wheel land, which I'm more than happy to do, but for really short field landings, or in an emergency, it would be nice to have a practiced slow 3-point technique in the bag.

What prop are you big motor guys using? My 3-blade Warp drive is smooth, but I've always had the feeling I'm leaving some horsepower on the ground. I usually flight plan for about 115-118 MPH. Anyone seeing much more than that?

John
[quote][b]

rdmac(at)swbell.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

Hello John,
We need to get together some time. I’m up here in Duncan, OK. Where do you keep your plane?

Roger McConnell, Duncan, OK
Model 7 Trigear, Rotax 912uls
Flying sense Jan. 06

Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:46 PM

Best Regards,

John Bonewitz
Kitfox Series V
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

jbonewitz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

I'm based at Grand Prairie Municipal (GPM), just south of DFW. Do you ever get down this way?

John

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Roger McConnell <rdmac(at)swbell.net (rdmac(at)swbell.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Hello John,
  We need to get together some time. I'm up here in Duncan, OK. Where do you keep your plane?

Roger McConnell, Duncan, OK
Model 7 Trigear, Rotax 912uls
Flying sense Jan. 06
[b]

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

John,
Welcome to the list!!
I have a Fox 4 that also likes to wheel land and is somewhat of a chore to 3 point. The cg is in range and I also have a BRS chute in a canister behind the pax seat.(thats almost 30 lbs) I too have the gap seals on the elevator and VG's under the rear stab. It seems to make very little difference (although the gap seals did help a little)
By the way,I just had my BRS repacked. It cost me $695 and that is the half price special which BRS offers in the winter. If interested call Derrick at BRS. The chute pack is good for 6 years and the rocket 12 years.
I have a friend at my field who told me that he and a buddy fired off a BRS chute and it was almost 17 years old. He said it worked fine. They did it on the ground. I don't know if this is true or not as he tends to exaggerate and in any case I would not want to wait that long!
        Dick Maddux
        Kitfox 4-1200
        Pensacola,Fl
From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the [url=http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023 ]latest news[/url].
[quote][b]

jbonewitz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Back on the list after 9 years! Reply with quote

Dick, Thanks for the info on your Mod. IV. the gap seal is a no brainer, and I need to go ahead and do it. Several years ago, I did put together a makeshift gap seal out of duct tape just to try it. I made a few touch and go's and could detect a slight difference, but nothing major. Guess that's why I never made it permanent. My main reason for looking into this again is because of the safety considerations of not being able to easily 3 point. If I ever had to shoe-horn it in somewhere, a wheel landing just isn't going to cut it!

Today I ordered the flap/trim interconnect kit from Kitfox, LLC. I'm hoping that's going to help.

Regarding the BRS, I should probably call them. Mine is the big 1500 sf canopy with this mongo rocket. I suspect the replacement is pretty expensive. I too have heard of BRS deployments well out of date that went just fine. I suppose the fact that mine is sealed and hangared gives me hope that all is okay. Maybe wishful thinking.

John

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:47 AM, <Catz631(at)aol.com (Catz631(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] John,
Welcome to the list!!
I have a Fox 4 that also likes to wheel land and is somewhat of a chore to 3 point. The cg is in range and I also have a BRS chute in a canister behind the pax seat.(thats almost 30 lbs) I too have the gap seals on the elevator and VG's under the rear stab. It seems to make very little difference (although the gap seals did help a little)
By the way,I just had my BRS repacked. It cost me $695 and that is the half price special which BRS offers in the winter. If interested call Derrick at BRS. The chute pack is good for 6 years and the rocket 12 years.
I have a friend at my field who told me that he and a buddy fired off a BRS chute and it was almost 17 years old. He said it worked fine. They did it on the ground. I don't know if this is true or not as he tends to exaggerate and in any case I would not want to wait that long!
        Dick Maddux
        Kitfox 4-1200
        Pensacola,Fl

>From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.

Quote:

arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: