Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

Kolb guys,

I have a question regarding the pop rivets on the fabric on the wings.
Is there a proper way to drill the holes? What I mean is, should I drill all the holes in the ribs FIRST, and then melt the holes through the finished faric, with a soldering iron? Or, would it be better to do all the fabric, reinforcing tapes, etc, and then drill through a final layers?

It would seem to me the better way would be to drill all the holes in the ribs first. The reason I think this is because I can make a nice 90* drilling jig, to insure the holes are centered on the top of the rib. I'm afraid if I try to drill the holes after the fabric and tape is on, I run the risk of off-centered holes...making a lop-sided rivet.

Anybody? Anybody?

Thanks,
Mike Welch
MkIII finally (!!!) putting fabric on flaps. So far, Poly Fiber on ALL tailfeathers, fuselage, both ailerons, & one flap. One more flap, and then the wings!! It's about time!!

I just received an email from my step-father, a WW II retired Lt Commander.

He forwarded to me an email of some of the most awesome military photographs I've ever seen.
(mostly flying photos)

If you want to see them, I absolutely guarantee you'll be amazed, send me an email, and I'll forward them on to you. They WILL be worth your time, unless you're a tree hugging hippie!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

> It would seem to me the better way would be to drill all the holes in
the ribs first. >
Quote:
Thanks,
Mike Welch

That's the way I do it.

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

Mike
Those are MY kinda pictures! -- pls send
Thanx
Russ

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Mike Welch wrote:

Quote:

Kolb guys,

I have a question regarding the pop rivets on the fabric on the
wings.
Is there a proper way to drill the holes? What I mean is, should I
drill all the holes in the ribs FIRST, and then melt the holes
through the finished faric, with a soldering iron? Or, would it be
better to do all the fabric, reinforcing tapes, etc, and then drill
through a final layers?

It would seem to me the better way would be to drill all the
holes in the ribs first. The reason I think this is because I can
make a nice 90* drilling jig, to insure the holes are centered on
the top of the rib. I'm afraid if I try to drill the holes after
the fabric and tape is on, I run the risk of off-centered
holes...making a lop-sided rivet.

Anybody? Anybody?

Thanks,
Mike Welch
MkIII finally (!!!) putting fabric on flaps. So far, Poly Fiber
on ALL tailfeathers, fuselage, both ailerons, & one flap. One more
flap, and then the wings!! It's about time!!

I just received an email from my step-father, a WW II retired Lt
Commander.

He forwarded to me an email of some of the most awesome military
photographs I've ever seen.
(mostly flying photos)

If you want to see them, I absolutely guarantee you'll be amazed,
send me an email, and I'll forward them on to you. They WILL be
worth your time, unless you're a tree hugging hippie!

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

You need to be able to get ALL the drillings out of the rib tubes by blowing, beating on the the structure lightly to vibrate it or turning it over and over while doing the above.One little sharp chip will find it's way to a pressure point in the fabric and cut a hole in it.You can find the holes with a straight pin or do it like John does.The drill can stick in the fabric and wad it up in a knot.Just my 2 cents worth.
      G.Aman FS2 MK-3

--

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

I assume everybody knows about greasing the drill bit to capture chips --
On Feb 11, 2009, at 5:31 PM, zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] You need to be able to get ALL the drillings out of the rib tubes by blowing, beating on the the structure lightly to vibrate it or turning it over and over while doing the above.One little sharp chip will find it's way to a pressure point in the fabric and  cut a hole in it.You can find the holes with a straight pin or do it like John does.The drill can stick in the fabric and wad it up in a knot.Just my 2 cents worth.
                                                          G.Aman FS2  MK-3

[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

Russ:

Yes, that works good in other situations. 

When working with fabric, the last thing you want around it is grease. Might have a hard time getting the grease cleaned up prior to fabric application.

john h
mkIII

Quote:

I assume everybody knows about greasing the drill bit to capture chips --
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

Mike, drill your holes 1st!!Use a string going across the tops & mark them ,
from root to tip, so they are all in a "Pretty-Pretty" line. Then drill them
all with your 90 degree jig you mentioned. After drilling, blow out all the
rib tubing with a compressor. Then stuff a tiny piece of fabric in each tube
that you drilled, so that when you pull a rivet, if that little ball of the
rivet falls off in the tube, it won`t find its way into the interior of the
wing. If any shavings or rivet tips get into the wing, they will find
somewhere comfortable to rest, & each time you fly, tiny vibrations will
cause them to wear through the fabric from the inside out.
Jim Kmet
MK-3C
Soon to be flying with a 912.
Cookeville, TN
---

Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military Reply with quote

I am attaching two pictures of how Brian, at Kolb factory, handles the loose pieces that may remain in the tubes. He probably blows the tubes out first then he seals all the ends as show in the pictures. Silicone rubber would probably be good to use here.

Rick Lewis

KOLBS YELLOW PLANES CONSTURCTION 079.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  4712 Time(s)

KOLBS YELLOW PLANES CONSTURCTION 079.jpg

KOLBS YELLOW PLANES CONSTURCTION 078.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  4714 Time(s)

KOLBS YELLOW PLANES CONSTURCTION 078.jpg

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

<Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

< I have a question regarding the pop rivets on the fabric on the wings…
Anybody? Anybody? Thanks, Mike Welch >>

Mike –

At the recommendation of a few fellow Kolbers, I rib stitched my wing fabric, and am very pleased with the outcome. The bump from a stitch of twine is much smaller beneath the finishing tape than the bump from a rivet. Plus, I like to think replacing the fabric will be easier, if I ever have to do it.

Have you considered rib stitching?

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, “Magic Bike”
Cedar Crest, NM

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Poly Fiber & pop rivet holes, plus some US Military photos Reply with quote

If it was me, I'd go with the Polyfiber Installation Manual for covering, attachment, and finishing.

I believe rib stitching was to be used with wooden ribs with flat rib caps, not round aluminum tubing.

I have seen several Kolbs that were rib stitched that did have stitching break or pull loose on top, rear, inboard section of wings. When this happens, fabric ballons up creating some serious vibration problems.

Unfortunately, I have had to recover several of my wings, and helped remove fabric from other Kolb wings. Removing the soft aluminum fabric rivets was not a problem.

john h
mkIII

[quote]

At the recommendation of a few fellow Kolbers, I rib stitched my wing fabric, and am very pleased with the outcome. The bump from a stitch of twine is much smaller beneath the finishing tape than the bump from a rivet. Plus, I like to think replacing the fabric will be easier, if I ever have to do it.

Have you considered rib stitching?

Dennis Kirby

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: