Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Figure Z-10/8 compared to Z-11 + Aux Battery and Diode Bri

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N509RV(at)eckenroth.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Figure Z-10/8 compared to Z-11 + Aux Battery and Diode Bri Reply with quote

Floyd

My aux battery is used through the E Buss. The idea being that it would add to the endurance in addition to keeping the EFIS alive during engine start. This was based on diodes keeping the two batteries segregated. I could go directly to the EFIS but would then have to add a switch.

Paul

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Floyd <fwilkes(at)gvtc.com (fwilkes(at)gvtc.com)> wrote:
[quote] Paul,

Do you have the aux battery connected to the connected to the "external backup power" on pin 15 or just to the keep alive on pin 2. When I only had one battery, I would get the brown out you mention. When I added the aux battery connected to pin 15, my problems went away.

Floyd Wilkes
601XL
[quote] ---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
floyd wilkes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Figure Z-10/8 compared to Z-11 + Aux Battery and Diode Bri Reply with quote

Paul,

The diodes cause at least a .5 volt drop not the best idea if you are trying to use the last bit of battery.

With the pin 15 connected to the aux battery directly via a fuse, the dynon will automatically switch to the aux if voltage drops on the primary. It will then display a message that it will shut down in 30 seconds if you do not press a button to cancel the shut down. Thus no switch is required as it automatically turns off 30 seconds after you lose power from the primary unless you cancel the shutdown.

That is how I have mine wired. So on every shutdown I get the message the dynon will shutdown in 30 seconds. I let it timeout and that is that.

Floyd Wilkes
601XL

Do not archive
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N509RV(at)eckenroth.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Figure Z-10/8 compared to Z-11 + Aux Battery and Diode Bri Reply with quote

Bob and all who responded

The diodes were tested using the multimeter and also using the 12V battery. Everything functions as it should.  No voltage is detected on the terminals that should be blocked. Also when using the E switch to llight the E Buss the Main Buss stays dark. I have removed leads and started and flown with the aux battery only powering the E Buss without issues. Unless someone has any other ideas I believe I will rewire so that the aux battery directly powers the E buss during start eliminating a diode at that point.

I am very curious as to the assertion of my EE friend that two diodes powering the same buss from two different power sources (batteries) can reverse direction (backfeed) if the anode voltage is less than the cathode which would possiblly explain my problem. Can anyone specifically address this.

Also, when I adjust my wiring I intend to feed both batteries through the bridge diode and through the E Buss switch. I am assuming that both batteries and the diode voltage drop is better than the main battery only without the diode voltage drop for endurance. I would be interested in other opinions.

Thanks for all the comments.

Paul

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

At 11:21 AM 2/18/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
Paul,
I have tested diodes at work that check out fine with a voltmeter but fail under load. I think the reason is that the voltmeter is testing the diode with 1.5 volts, whereas the actual circuit operates at a much higher voltage. So using a voltmeter is not a good test. Here is a test you can try: Disconnect the main battery to eliminate any possibility that it is affecting your tests. Connect one lead of a 12 volt test light to the aux battery negative or ground. With the other lead, touch each terminal of the diode. The light should illuminate on the battery side of the diode but not on the other side. The fact that you are using two diodes should not cause the symptoms that you describe.
Joe Gores

I'd be pleased to put my hands on any diode
that exhibits any failure mode. I'll pay $5 plus
postage for any carcass you can send me.

Bob . . .

----------------------------------------)
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . .   )
(   )
(   -Thomas Paine 1776- )
----------------------------------------

===========
-
ric-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
MS -
k">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
e -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: