Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

primer! yeah, I know...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sreynard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: primer! yeah, I know... Reply with quote

"anecdotes are fun reading, but" . . . .

"something a little more rigorous seems in order..."

OK Nate, here's what you can do.  Build 100 airplanes and place 10 each strategically all around the world.  Do a complete disassembly and  inspection by a team of qualified mechanics, engineers, and metallurgists in at least three different certified laboratories, every year for 100 years.  When done, they can write a rigorous report for you.  Some people will disagree that there is a lot of opportunity to make it more rigorous, but it should get you started. . . .

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself. . . .  Sad

If you just want another anecdote, find a A&P IA whoes opinion you can trust and see what they have to say. 

Or you could write to Boeing and see if they have any reports?  Maybe you could see if they have a corrosion expert you can talk to?

With all the thousands of posts going back and forth on the issue all over the internet, that you have already discarded, its not clear why you are asking for more?!?

I'll ask you a question in return, just for you to think about.  Will you be able to sleep at night if you build an airplane with less effort, labor, and skill than you can reasonably accomplish and ride in it with a loved one? 

My opinion?  Do the best you can do and move on.
Steve
Santa Rosa
RV-7 Empennage, left elevator

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
timb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: primer! yeah, I know... Reply with quote

Or you can do what I did. Write down the different primers that others have used then determine what you will use based on which one you can easily find in your town, one that offers ease of use for you, then use that one on your airplane. The end result will be, “Yes you primed all the parts internally” and quite honestly it won’t matter much beyond that. I ended up even changing three times to different primers because of different reasons. One became no longer available nearby and another kept plugging up the nozzles and wasting half of every can. My plane parts are all primed and I couldn’t tell you which brand is in which part. I have no worries about longevity or any other issue.

Good luck and happy building.

Tim Bryan
RV-6 Flying
N616TB over 120 hours now

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Steven Reynard
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:02 AM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: primer! yeah, I know...

OK Nate, here's what you can do. Build 100 airplanes and place 10 each strategically all around the world. Do a complete disassembly and inspection by a team of qualified mechanics, engineers, and metallurgists in at least three different certified laboratories, every year for 100 years. When done, they can write a rigorous report for you. Some people will disagree that there is a lot of opportunity to make it more rigorous, but it should get you started. . . .

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself. . . . Sad

If you just want another anecdote, find a A&P IA whoes opinion you can trust and see what they have to say.

Or you could write to Boeing and see if they have any reports? Maybe you could see if they have a corrosion expert you can talk to?

With all the thousands of posts going back and forth on the issue all over the internet, that you have already discarded, its not clear why you are asking for more?!?

I'll ask you a question in return, just for you to think about. Will you be able to sleep at night if you build an airplane with less effort, labor, and skill than you can reasonably accomplish and ride in it with a loved one?

My opinion? Do the best you can do and move on.

Steve
Santa Rosa
RV-7 Empennage, left elevator
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jsflyrv(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: primer! yeah, I know... Reply with quote

Quote:

Use what you want and move on, there is no war, pick a primer or not,

and build.
Part of the intereior of my RV-6 is primed and part is not, the unprimed
area looks as good
as it did when I built my airplane 20 years ago.

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: