Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Normal build fuselage question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv(at)thelefflers.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Normal build fuselage question Reply with quote

Ok, I have a dumb question to ask and it’s three hours before I can call Van’s. I was hoping to get a response off the list a little quicker.

On page 25-5 of the fuselage plans, you mount two hat stiffners to the F-1004B center section bulkhead. Per the plans, you remove the hatched area to allow access to buck the rivets on the lower flange of the F-1004B center section bulkhead. No problem so far.

However, the bottom #12 hole underneath the hat section on the right side is riveted already and the left side isn’t. These are one of the massive rivets that were pre-riveted from the factory. I’ve spent the last hour looking ahead in the plans to see what might go into this hole, but can’t find anything. I’ve looked at a dozen sites looking for build pictures, but this area is obscured in all the photos by the hat stiffner.

So my questions are:

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]> Is the center section bulkhead correct? Is only one side supposed to be riveted already or both? Again, I’m referring to the large #12 hole at the bottom and underneath the hat stiffner.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>Step 3 refers to riveting something later, so what page in the plans highlights that step? I can’t find it.
<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>What goes into the left hole? Am I missing one of the large rivets?

Thanks,

Bob

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Normal build fuselage question Reply with quote

I'll give this a shot. Step 3 says that you need to cut the hat stiffener to be able to buck the rivets in the flange, so these are the rivets that will rivet to the bottom skin of the airplane. It is not referring to the spar/center-section itself. If the #12 hole you are referring to would be covered by the hat stiffener if you didn't cut it, then I think they probably missed a rivet, especially if the hole is open on one side of the plane and closed on the other. It is possible they just missed a rivet. I think putting a #3 bolt in that hole should take care of it, but I don't have those parts here to compare. Maybe someone else who is closer to this section can help better.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

On Mar 3, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Bob Leffler wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I have a dumb question to ask and it’s three hours before I can call Van’s. I was hoping to get a response off the list a little quicker.

On page 25-5 of the fuselage plans, you mount two hat stiffners to the F-1004B center section bulkhead. Per the plans, you remove the hatched area to allow access to buck the rivets on the lower flange of the F-1004B center section bulkhead. No problem so far.

However, the bottom #12 hole underneath the hat section on the right side is riveted already and the left side isn’t. These are one of the massive rivets that were pre-riveted from the factory. I’ve spent the last hour looking ahead in the plans to see what might go into this hole, but can’t find anything. I’ve looked at a dozen sites looking for build pictures, but this area is obscured in all the photos by the hat stiffner.

So my questions are:

1. Is the center section bulkhead correct? Is only one side supposed to be riveted already or both? Again, I’m referring to the large #12 hole at the bottom and underneath the hat stiffner.
2. Step 3 refers to riveting something later, so what page in the plans highlights that step? I can’t find it.
3. What goes into the left hole? Am I missing one of the large rivets?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote:
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rwhunter(at)integra.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Normal build fuselage question Reply with quote

Bob,
Underneath my hat stiffeners I have Van's installed rivets on both sides. I don't see anything in step 3 of page 25-5 that says you rivet something later.

Rob Hunter
Fuselage
[quote]
--

rv(at)thelefflers.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Normal build fuselage question Reply with quote

Thanks to all the replied!

Just got off the phone with Van’s. I am indeed missing one of the large rivets on the center section bulkhead. They offered two fixes. The first was to send me a rivet and attempt to set it with a really large hammer. I opted for the second choice, which was an AN3 bolt of the appropriate length.

Bob

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rob Hunter
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 5:34 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Normal build fuselage question

Bob,

Underneath my hat stiffeners I have Van's installed rivets on both sides. I don't see anything in step 3 of page 25-5 that says you rivet something later.

Rob Hunter

Fuselage

[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: