Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drilling hole in Precision Carburetor Throttle arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Drilling hole in Precision Carburetor Throttle arm Reply with quote

Hello C

The Van's throttle and mixture cables do not have enough throw for my precision carburetor (Part of Aerosport package). The only option I have left is to drill another hole in the throttle and mixture arms at the carburetor to increase the effectiveness of the throw I do have.

I understand some metal parts are cast and drilling is a no-no. Has anyone been down this road? Your solution?

Thanks C
Vince H.
rv8 N8432
RV8 "wrapping things up for inspection"
Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out. [quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
John Myers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Drilling hole in Precision Carburetor Throttle arm Reply with quote

Vince, I had the same problem with the mixture cable. Even got a new cable from Van's. I think I remember that it had about an 1/8" greater travel but not much. Same problem with it after a major pain to replace it. Throttle cable was okay for my throttle linkage on the the MA4-5 that I have.
I ended up adjusting the mixture cable linkage so that it would go to full idle cutoff. Turns out that my MA4-5 (10-3878) is so rich that it was not a problem at full rich position. My flow meter indicates it is putting almost 18 gph through it at (my) full rich/full power. I talked with Precision and they said no shorter mixture arm available.
I suppose you could special order a cable with more travel and then possibly drill another hole in your throttle quadrant arm to give you more travel if it is needed, but it wasn't necessary for me.
No help with your problem but one data point.

John RV-8 N851JM
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

AMARGHERITIS(at)lawa.org

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Drilling hole in Precision Carburetor Throttle arm Reply with quote

Vince,

I too had this problem. I drilled new holes just above the existing
holes on the mixture and throttle levers at the quadrant. This gave me
the throw I needed.

Alex

RV-8 N214MK 240hrs

[mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Myers
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:44 AM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Drilling hole in Precision Carburetor Throttle
arm

Vince, I had the same problem with the mixture cable. Even got a new
cable from Van's. I think I remember that it had about an 1/8" greater
travel but not much. Same problem with it after a major pain to replace
it. Throttle cable was okay for my throttle linkage on the the MA4-5
that I have.

I ended up adjusting the mixture cable linkage so that it would go to
full idle cutoff. Turns out that my MA4-5 (10-3878) is so rich that it
was not a problem at full rich position. My flow meter indicates it is
putting almost 18 gph through it at (my) full rich/full power. I talked
with Precision and they said no shorter mixture arm available.

I suppose you could special order a cable with more travel and then
possibly drill another hole in your throttle quadrant arm to give you
more travel if it is needed, but it wasn't necessary for me.

No help with your problem but one data point.

John RV-8 N851JM

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: