Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max X-windMax X-windMax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyre1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Max X-windMax X-windMax Reply with quote

"HAH!"  Thanks Gus. It's probably very similar in a CJ and a component of landing speeds and rudder/ vert. stabilizer surface. Just guessing. - Val

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Max X-windMax X-windMax Reply with quote

Val the real test is find a real windy day and go play, When I first got the SP, my first tail wheel, I specifically went out with my coach and we found the most hideous crosswind runways we could find. Really popular were those surrounded by hills to make it even more fun with turbulence. When I was flying the Yak 52 I always used the crab until the last minute then kick straight. Obviously timing is key but I think the 52 flies better like this. Obviously the sp flies better wing up. With the 52, because of the high wing loading (compared to a Cessna or piper) it takes a second or so to decide to change the direction of travel. Even then it just continues to sink on through to the runway. It does really like full into wind aileron on touchdown but that is just normal. The one thing I always remember about the 52 is that on high turbulence days my buddy in his PA140 was getting bounced around and banging his head while in the 52 tranquility reigned. When we landed I would have to ask if it was rough. I am sure it must be the same in the CJ (same weight and wing profile).

The limitation of the crab on the 52 is the rudder but if you put in full rudder when flying along you can basically travel 35-40 deg from the thrust line. In a REALLY strong wind a bit of wing dipping will help on a REALLY REALLY windy day you may need the casters on the wing tips Smile)))

Get windy and I don't mean beans.

Gus

Quote:
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Valkyre1
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:01 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Max X-windMax X-windMax

"HAH!"  Thanks Gus. It's probably very similar in a CJ and a component of landing speeds and rudder/ vert. stabilizer surface. Just guessing. - Val

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Max X-windMax X-windMax Reply with quote

Well Gus!
As you spoke, finished my tailwheel endorsement this past week with 15 gusting 20 kts(at) 45 to 50 deg X winds. Started out in a L-3, Champ (I now know what follow on airplane I DO NOT WANT), and then back seat landings in the 52. Seems my wimpy 52 TW brothern would not come out to play. All of this in prep to go pickup my 50.
Did pavement and grass. Threw in a barrier of trees with a cutover area about 1/3 down the grass runway just to get that 20 kt increase from the venturi effect. Saw my first PIO due to wind gusts and thinking I finally had the little  under powered kit at full stall for a stall landing. Endured the 85hp spit, sputter and cough in an attempt to spoil up so I could break the roller coaster ride! By the time this POS decided to spoil up, I had slowed it down to a walk ( more like bounced it down!). At that time I got to experience a ground loop! Thanks to the venturi thru the 10-15 ft cutover!
Needless to say, it was crappy weather to learn tail dragging in, but it paid off when coming into Greenwood, Miss. (KGWO) with my new toy. There the winds had the uncanny ability to be 45 deg to all three runways as I attempted to land! Got down with a crab, arrested a wind driven intial PIO (from my buffooned landing attempt) as the tail stalled and caught the beginings of ground loop because my tailwheel had come unlocked as I pushed the stick forward to try to stick the nose to arrest the PIO! And just think if it had not been for that (at)#$%(at)7$#!!! Champ, I would not have had the experience to react to all that at once! OBTW, the winds at GWO were called for 300 (at) 15 gusting 25 on AWOS. The weather geeksearlier in the day had called for 5 KTS for the entire day. Yep, Rich the "Weather Bitch" failed again!
Yes, I now know what that stupid ass moto I see on T-shirts and aviation coffee cups means now!  "The second greatest thing man does is FLYING." The first is LANDING!" That dude was a TAIL DRAGGER!
Well could have be a TAIL HOOKER too! But, I refuse to give the NAVY credit for any consideration that what they call a landing is anything other than a CONTROLLED CRASH that they get to use the airplane again after!
Doc

[quote] ---

gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Max X-windMax X-windMax Reply with quote

A friend told me before I started tail wheel "It's like riding a kids tricycle down a highway at 100 mph in reverse"

Smile))

Gus

[quote] From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 1:22 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Max X-windMax X-windMax

Well Gus!
As you spoke, finished my tailwheel endorsement this past week with 15 gusting 20 kts(at) 45 to 50 deg X winds. Started out in a L-3, Champ (I now know what follow on airplane I DO NOT WANT), and then back seat landings in the 52. Seems my wimpy 52 TW brothern would not come out to play. All of this in prep to go pickup my 50.
Did pavement and grass. Threw in a barrier of trees with a cutover area about 1/3 down the grass runway just to get that 20 kt increase from the venturi effect. Saw my first PIO due to wind gusts and thinking I finally had the little  under powered kit at full stall for a stall landing. Endured the 85hp spit, sputter and cough in an attempt to spoil up so I could break the roller coaster ride! By the time this POS decided to spoil up, I had slowed it down to a walk ( more like bounced it down!). At that time I got to experience a ground loop! Thanks to the venturi thru the 10-15 ft cutover!
Needless to say, it was crappy weather to learn tail dragging in, but it paid off when coming into Greenwood, Miss. (KGWO) with my new toy. There the winds had the uncanny ability to be 45 deg to all three runways as I attempted to land! Got down with a crab, arrested a wind driven intial PIO (from my buffooned landing attempt) as the tail stalled and caught the beginings of ground loop because my tailwheel had come unlocked as I pushed the stick forward to try to stick the nose to arrest the PIO! And just think if it had not been for that (at)#$%(at)7$#!!! Champ, I would not have had the experience to react to all that at once! OBTW, the winds at GWO were called for 300 (at) 15 gusting 25 on AWOS. The weather geeksearlier in the day had called for 5 KTS for the entire day. Yep, Rich the "Weather Bitch" failed again!
Yes, I now know what that stupid ass moto I see on T-shirts and aviation coffee cups means now!  "The second greatest thing man does is FLYING." The first is LANDING!" That dude was a TAIL DRAGGER!
Well could have be a TAIL HOOKER too! But, I refuse to give the NAVY credit for any consideration that what they call a landing is anything other than a CONTROLLED CRASH that they get to use the airplane again after!
Doc

[quote] ---

brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Max X-windMax X-windMax Reply with quote

Roger Kemp wrote:

Quote:
Yes, I now know what that stupid ass moto I see on T-shirts and aviation
coffee cups means now! "The second greatest thing man does is FLYING."
The first is LANDING!" That dude was a TAIL DRAGGER!

Congratulations and welcome to the club. The only time a student has had
me in fear is when I have been teaching tail-wheel transition.

Now you know why they turn the boat into the wind too. Wink

Brian

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Max X-windMax X-windMax Reply with quote

Brian,
Thanks. After skating on my nose for all my career, I made the jump to
dragging my tail.
A new set of muscle memories to develope and a new challenge. One thing for
sure, when you sit that far aft, you sure can feel the direction change
before you see nose begin to drift!
Doc
Quote:
[Original Message]
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 3/30/2006 4:45:56 PM
Subject: Re: Max X-windMax X-windMax

Roger Kemp wrote:

> Yes, I now know what that stupid ass moto I see on T-shirts and aviation
> coffee cups means now! "The second greatest thing man does is FLYING."
> The first is LANDING!" That dude was a TAIL DRAGGER!

Congratulations and welcome to the club. The only time a student has had
me in fear is when I have been teaching tail-wheel transition.

Now you know why they turn the boat into the wind too. Wink

Brian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: