Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: slips Reply with quote

In  re slips & descents -- my 170 was placarded against slips with full flaps. But I never could get it to do more than a slight wobble, and that maybe once in  50 times or so. I slipped it a lot, with no trouble.We did have to berate the jump-plane pilots into doing slips, instead of a closed-throttle screaming spiral down  -- which shock-cooled the engine & tended to break rings. 
OK, that was lots more fun, but treat the engine kindly, fellas!
Russ K
do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lucien

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: slips Reply with quote

[quote="russ(at)rkiphoto.com"]In �re slips & descents -- my 170 was placarded against slips with full flaps. But I never could get it to do more than a slight wobble, and that maybe once in �50 times or so. I slipped it a lot, with no trouble.We did have to berate the jump-plane pilots into doing slips, instead of a closed-throttle screaming spiral down �-- which shock-cooled the engine & tended to break rings.�
Russ K
do not archive
Quote:
[b]

Uh oh. Not the shock-cooling thread again Wink. I'll only state my side and then quietly get out of the way.

FYI....

It's not the shock _cooling_ that's the problem, it's the shock _heating_ of hammering the cooled engine again to wide open once you're back on the ground.

You can take a red hot motor, pull it back to idle and go all the way down to the ground like that with no problems BUT.... be sure and do a warmup again once down before you put the coals to it again. For aircooled folks, if those CHT's get back down to 200F again apply the throttle sloooowly or do a full stop/taxi back.

I havn't seen my 912 CHT's drop precipitously in a descent and the oil temps tend to remain up too, but I still always apply power slowly when doing TnG's (I never hammer to wide open unless it's a priority situation).

Lets be careful out there with those throttle arms!

do not archive

LS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ralph B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: slips Reply with quote

I have slipped the Kolbra with full flaperons and taken off with full flaperons. I did this just yesterday with my heavy son onboard. I'm still debating whether full flaps makes for a shorter takeoff. There is a lot more drag and slows it down, although full flaperons on the Kolbra are like one notch on regular aircraft. I need to experiment more. I took my neighbor for a ride and he is a good 230 lbs. The Kolbra took awhile to get airborne, but it did climb ok on 80 hp.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: slips Reply with quote

Lucien
I was only parroting what our mech said. The landing & taxi-out was
basically at idle power, then the plane would sit a little while
before launching again. The mech said it was shock-cooling, sounded
logical, and I believed him. (Air-blast cooled the cylinders quickly,
but not the pistons & rings)
But your advice is good & I'll keep it in mind.
Russ, quietly out of the way
do not archive

On Apr 23, 2009, at 10:10 AM, lucien wrote:

Quote:

[quote="russ(at)rkiphoto.com"]In �re slips & descents -- my 170
was placarded against slips with full flaps. But I never could get
it to do more than a slight wobble, and that maybe once in �50
times or so. I slipped it a lot, with no trouble.We did have to
berate the jump-plane pilots into doing slips, instead of a closed-
throttle screaming spiral down �-- which shock-cooled the engine
& tended to break rings.�
Russ K
do not archive

> [b]
Uh oh. Not the shock-cooling thread again Wink. I'll only state my
side and then quietly get out of the way.

FYI....

It's not the shock _cooling_ that's the problem, it's the shock
_heating_ of hammering the cooled engine again to wide open once
you're back on the ground.

You can take a red hot motor, pull it back to idle and go all the
way down to the ground like that with no problems BUT.... be sure
and do a warmup again once down before you put the coals to it
again. For aircooled folks, if those CHT's get back down to 200F
again apply the throttle sloooowly or do a full stop/taxi back.

I havn't seen my 912 CHT's drop precipitously in a descent and the
oil temps tend to remain up too, but I still always apply power
slowly when doing TnG's (I never hammer to wide open unless it's a
priority situation).

Lets be careful out there with those throttle arms!

do not archive

LS

--------
LS
Titan II SS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 40901#240901

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: slips Reply with quote

Ralph B wrote:

I need to experiment more. I took my neighbor for a ride and he is a good 230 lbs. The Kolbra took awhile to get airborne, but it did climb ok on 80 hp.

Ralph

How much do you weigh Ralph ? Do you put the passenger in the back seat ? That is a very good load for 80 HP. My Kolb can lift heavy weights just fine, me and a heavy passenger. For me the biggest problem with a heavy passenger is the nose down trim I get from it, my limit is running out of up elevator long before the weight itself becomes an issue. I guess in your Kolb the passenger is closer to the CG, do you get much of a trim change ?

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: wing & power loading Reply with quote

Thread was SLIPS

Ralph's comment about carrying a heavy passenger prompts me to ask about the size (sq. ft) of the standard MKIII and Kolbra wings. The reason I ask is that I've flown our RANS S6-S (155.25 sq ft wing) at MTOW of 1200 lb with a 280 lb passenger and light fuel. I weight about 215, so there is a lot of human carcass aboard in this configuration. This comes to a wing loading of 7.73 lb/sqft wing loading and 15 lb/hp for my 80hp 912.

At our low elevation and generally cool climate the performance at MTOW is adequate. Not enough power for that weight in the Rockies. Most of the time I fly solo with more fuel at about 950 lbs TOW which comes to only 6.12 lb/sqft and 11.88 lb/hp. with great performance.

Just curious about MkIII and Kolbra wings for comparison.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Ralph B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: slips Reply with quote

JetPilot wrote:
Ralph B wrote:

I need to experiment more. I took my neighbor for a ride and he is a good 230 lbs. The Kolbra took awhile to get airborne, but it did climb ok on 80 hp.

Ralph

How much do you weigh Ralph ? Do you put the passenger in the back seat ? That is a very good load for 80 HP. My Kolb can lift heavy weights just fine, me and a heavy passenger. For me the biggest problem with a heavy passenger is the nose down trim I get from it, my limit is running out of up elevator long before the weight itself becomes an issue. I guess in your Kolb the passenger is closer to the CG, do you get much of a trim change ?

Mike

Mike, I weigh 200 lbs and the passenger is in the back seat. I have an manual adjustable trim on the elevator and a motorized adjustable bungee on the stick, but I didn't adjust the manual trim for this heavy passenger and held a little "back stick" as I ran out of trim adjustment on the bungee trim. I didn't have a problem on landing as there was plenty of "up elevator". It happened to be a turbulent day and the extra weight smoothed things out. I commented to the passenger that if I had been flying the Firestar, I would be all over the sky. The rear passenger space is limited, so anyone over 230 lbs may not be able to get back there.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: slips Reply with quote

> I havn't seen my 912 CHT's drop precipitously in a descent and the oil
temps tend to remain up too, but I still always apply power slowly when
doing TnG's (I never hammer to wide open unless it's a priority situation).
Quote:

> LS

Do you have to be careful for shock cooling with a 912?

Mine doesn't have a cast iron liner.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
lucien

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: slips Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

Do you have to be careful for shock cooling with a 912?

Mine doesn't have a cast iron liner.

john h
mkIII

I don't worry about it myself on any engine I have, I"ve never had any problems that I could trace to rapid cooling.

OTOH, I'm extremely careful about proper warmup before putting an engine to work. Especially my 2-strokes that all had steel liners, if I did a long descent say in a practice engine-out, I'd usually do a full-stop taxi back with a quick warmup. Even doing TnG's under the 912 I apply power on the go slooowly....

LS

Ralph B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: wing & power loading Reply with quote

Thom Riddle wrote:
Thread was SLIPS

Ralph's comment about carrying a heavy passenger prompts me to ask about the size (sq. ft) of the standard MKIII and Kolbra wings. The reason I ask is that I've flown our RANS S6-S (155.25 sq ft wing) at MTOW of 1200 lb with a 280 lb passenger and light fuel. I weight about 215, so there is a lot of human carcass aboard in this configuration. This comes to a wing loading of 7.73 lb/sqft wing loading and 15 lb/hp for my 80hp 912.

At our low elevation and generally cool climate the performance at MTOW is adequate. Not enough power for that weight in the Rockies. Most of the time I fly solo with more fuel at about 950 lbs TOW which comes to only 6.12 lb/sqft and 11.88 lb/hp. with great performance.

Just curious about MkIII and Kolbra wings for comparison.

Tom, I forgot to answer your questions about the wing loading on the Kolbra. I believe the Kolbra has the same wing at the Mark III with 153 sq ft. The maximum gross weight is 1150 lbs and can carry a passenger up to 250 lbs, but the question is whether someone of that size would fit in the rear seat. The 80 hp 912 is struggling with a heavy passenger, but the climb is probably better than most small GA aircraft with heavier passengers. I know some of them cannot carry a full load of fuel with a heavy passenger. The Kolbra has a 13 gallon tank which is 81 lbs full, but on the opposite side of the cg which helps balance things out.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: