Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike.l.west(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ? Reply with quote

Hello C Hello C

Wondering if anyone has tried using dual Schottky diodes to power fuel injectors and ignition coils from two batteries ?

I'm looking for a 2 battery system with fuel injectors and ignition coils fed directly from both batteries.

If one battery fails the other battery automatically powers injectors & coils (and is isolated from bad battery by Schottky).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks C
-Mike

PDF attached
Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Check it out.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

P51_PwrDist_Hmmm.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  P51_PwrDist_Hmmm.pdf
 Filesize:  351.21 KB
 Downloaded:  436 Time(s)

Peter Laurence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ? Reply with quote

Mike

Check with a company called SDS. http://www.sdsefi.com/ They sell an electronic fuel injection system. One has been their RV6A for a few years.

I know that it’s narrowing pretty tightly with using a Schotty, but, can’t hurt to ask.

Peter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike West
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 11:19 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ?

Hello, Hello,

Wondering if anyone has tried using dual Schottky diodes to power fuel injectors and ignition coils from two batteries ?

I'm looking for a 2 battery system with fuel injectors and ignition coils fed directly from both batteries.

If one battery fails the other battery automatically powers injectors & coils (and is isolated from bad battery by Schottky).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
-Mike

PDF attached

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Check it out.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dennis.glaeser(at)eds.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ? Reply with quote

I'm doing that with my Subaru engine. I do have dual ignition switches,
but when both are on for takeoffs and landings, it is exactly what you
describe.
My architecture is essentially Z-19.

Dennis Glaeser
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello

Wondering if anyone has tried using dual Schottky diodes to power fuel
injectors and ignition coils from two batteries ?
I'm looking for a 2 battery system with fuel injectors and ignition
coils fed directly from both batteries.
If one battery fails the other battery automatically powers injectors &
coils (and is isolated from bad battery by Schottky).
Any thoughts ?

Thanks

-Mike

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ? Reply with quote

Perihelion Design has sold a bunch of dual Schottkys to do exactly what you want. See:

www.periheliondesign.com/downloads/powerdeuceschottkymanual.pdf
"Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic."
--Anonymous

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
mike.l.west(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ? Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for your responses.

Bob C I have your book (which I like very much) ... Where do you reckon I got the dual diode idea anyway ?

To my knowledge C there are 3 things to provide power to for electronic engine control: ECU (black box controller) C fuel injectors & ignition coils. The ECU is shown in the Aeroelectric diagrams ... but not the injectors or coils.

The ECU I have is made by Real World Solutions (EC3-AA) and controls the ground side of the injectors and coils. I'm assuming they use some type of transistors/switches to turn on/off the injectors & coils. Whatever power I provide to the ECU is not used by the injectors & coils but rather for operating the internal switches in the ECU (that pulse on/off injectors & coils).

My first concern is that I have adequate voltage for the fuel injectors and the ignition coils. If the alternator dies and the batteries are at 12V then I would have ~11.5V to operate the injectors and coils (0.5V lost across Schottky diodes).

Also ... should I power the ECU at exactly the same voltage I provide to the injectors and coils? Is the ECU smart enough to recognize the voltage supplied to it and perhaps fire the injectors and coils differently based on the voltage it sees? What if my ECU was powered at 12V (thru a switch) and my injectors & coils were powered at 11.5V (thru diodes)? That is a question I will send to Real World Solutions / Rotary Aviation and post.

Yeah ... I know what you're thinkin ... we answer one question for this guy now he'll never leave us alone !

Thanks again Smile

-Mike
Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out. [quote][b]

longg(at)pjm.com

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ? Reply with quote

Mike,

It sounds like you are working with some kind of conversion but don’t ignore dual alternators as a solution. Jeg’s and other provide automotive solutions for dual alts. In many ways it’s easier to hook up two alternators than dual diodes, batteries, switches, cables etc. and provides redundancy that doesn’t need charging and constant monitoring. E.g. ala Z/13-8 or 20. In my experience, alternators either work or they’re broken.

If the EC3 is worth its salt, it will survive a voltage loss down to a certain value, say 5 volts (ala Lightspeed). Having the second alternator will help ensure it never gets there. If they die by not having 11-12 volts all the time, I’d buy another product. If you turn everything else off, staying alive down to 5 volts gives one ample time to find a landing spot.

Glenn

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike West
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:15 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: ECU - EFI - Dual Battery Bus - Schottky Diode ?

Thank you all very much for your responses.

Bob, I have your book (which I like very much) ... Where do you reckon I got the dual diode idea anyway ?

To my knowledge, there are 3 things to provide power to for electronic engine control: ECU (black box controller), fuel injectors & ignition coils. The ECU is shown in the Aeroelectric diagrams ... but not the injectors or coils.

The ECU I have is made by Real World Solutions (EC3-AA) and controls the ground side of the injectors and coils. I'm assuming they use some type of transistors/switches to turn on/off the injectors & coils. Whatever power I provide to the ECU is not used by the injectors & coils but rather for operating the internal switches in the ECU (that pulse on/off injectors & coils).

My first concern is that I have adequate voltage for the fuel injectors and the ignition coils. If the alternator dies and the batteries are at 12V then I would have ~11.5V to operate the injectors and coils (0.5V lost across Schottky diodes).

Also ... should I power the ECU at exactly the same voltage I provide to the injectors and coils? Is the ECU smart enough to recognize the voltage supplied to it and perhaps fire the injectors and coils differently based on the voltage it sees? What if my ECU was powered at 12V (thru a switch) and my injectors & coils were powered at 11.5V (thru diodes)? That is a question I will send to Real World Solutions / Rotary Aviation and post.

Yeah ... I know what you're thinkin ... we answer one question for this guy now he'll never leave us alone !

Thanks again Smile

-Mike

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: