Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soldering Micro Switches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longg(at)pjm.com

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Soldering Micro Switches Reply with quote

I probably don’t have the touch of some of you really experienced soldering folks, but I’m trying to work on a technique for soldering those itsy-bitsy connectors on the micro-switches. I either touch the switch accidentally and melt the casing or heat up the connectors to the point that solder melts and then I sit there watching the connector sink or break off.

Is there some best combination of heat / thin solder that works best for the micro switches and small LED lights that I might try?

I suppose if you have the luxury of throwing your airplane on the workbench and putting the panel in a vice it may not be a problem. Trying to do this in the field holding 3 wires up with one hand and the soldering gun in another is a real pain.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
bob(at)bob-white.com

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Soldering Micro Switches Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

My suggestion would be to first get the wires attached mechanically so
that you don't have to hold them. Tin the ends of the wires before
wraping them around the terminal. This means, flow just a little
solder on the end so the strands will stay together. You should still
be able to see the individual strands through the solder (don't have a
big glob on there).

Second use a small diameter, 0.032 inch or so, 63/37 tin/lead
solder with a rosin core. The 63/37 has a lower melting point than
60/40 and when it cools it pretty much all turns solid at once. The
rosin flux usually does a good job cleaning up any oxidation that would
prevent a good solder joint. Never use acid flux.

Third hold the soldering iron in one hand and the solder in the other.
I used to use my teeth to hold the solder but about 30 years ago or so,
the safety types convinced me it wasn't a good idea. Smile It helps to
melt just a bit of solder onto the iron. You get better heat
conduction to the joint through a small amount of liquid solder than
just holding the iron against the wires. Having done that, apply the
iron to one side of the joint, and solder to the other. When the solder
flows, remove the solder and heat and let it solidify.

Fourth practice at the bench until it's working for you. If at all
possible do the actual wiring at the bench. It's much easier.

Another tip: Don't solder laying on your back with the joint above
your face or any other body parts. You probably wouldn't do it more
than once anyway. I didn't.

Bob W.

On Mon, 4 May 2009 15:12:40 -0400
<longg(at)pjm.com> wrote:

Quote:
I probably don't have the touch of some of you really experienced
soldering folks, but I'm trying to work on a technique for soldering
those itsy-bitsy connectors on the micro-switches. I either touch the
switch accidentally and melt the casing or heat up the connectors to the
point that solder melts and then I sit there watching the connector sink
or break off.

Is there some best combination of heat / thin solder that works best
for the micro switches and small LED lights that I might try?

I suppose if you have the luxury of throwing your airplane on the
workbench and putting the panel in a vice it may not be a problem.
Trying to do this in the field holding 3 wires up with one hand and the
soldering gun in another is a real pain.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

--
N93BD - Rotary Powered BD-4 - http://www.bob-white.com
3.8 Hours Total Time and holding
Cables for your rotary installation - http://roblinstores.com/

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

retasker(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Soldering Micro Switches Reply with quote

longg(at)pjm.com (longg(at)pjm.com) wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I suppose if you have the luxury of throwing your airplane on the workbench and putting the panel in a vice it may not be a problem. Trying to do this in the field holding 3 wires up with one hand and the soldering gun in another is a real pain.
If you are using a soldering "gun" that is part of your problem. Get a good, low wattage soldering iron. It will have a small, high-temperature tip and will make soldering of small connections much easier.

Use 60/40 or 63/37 solder. This is (at least the 63/37) eutectic solder - which means that it is either liquid or solid - no mushy intermediate state. Makes getting good solder joints much easier. Also, get solder that is thin enough. Unless the joint is very large, 0.025 or 0.032 diameter is plenty. I even have some 0.015 that I use once in a while for really small joints.

Also, if you are getting up there in age (as I am) get a magnifier so you can see what you are doing. You would be surprised how much it helps when you can really see the little parts up close Wink .

Dick
Quote:
--
Please Note:
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,
that a significant number of electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.
--

longg(at)pjm.com

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Soldering Micro Switches Reply with quote

Dick & Bob,

Thanks for the sound advice. I’m eager to make good on the small stuff.

Glenn

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard E. Tasker
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 10:30 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Soldering Micro Switches

longg(at)pjm.com (longg(at)pjm.com) wrote:
If you are using a soldering "gun" that is part of your problem. Get a good, low wattage soldering iron. It will have a small, high-temperature tip and will make soldering of small connections much easier.

Use 60/40 or 63/37 solder. This is (at least the 63/37) eutectic solder - which means that it is either liquid or solid - no mushy intermediate state. Makes getting good solder joints much easier. Also, get solder that is thin enough. Unless the joint is very large, 0.025 or 0.032 diameter is plenty. I even have some 0.015 that I use once in a while for really small joints.

Also, if you are getting up there in age (as I am) get a magnifier so you can see what you are doing. You would be surprised how much it helps when you can really see the little parts up close Wink .

Dick

[quote]-- Please Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,that a significant number of electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.--[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: