Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging System Theory - A few Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darinh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

Ok, I have a couple questions for people that are smarter than myself when it comes to electronics. These questions have to do with the charging system and how it works.

I've got a 914 and had a dual alternator setup on it for awhile...this worked flawlessly until my external alternator crapped out on me. I had it rebuilt but have not put it back on yet for many reasons, one being that it runs on the vacuum pump gear which only turns .52:1 to the engine so it doesn't really come alive until 3000 to 3500 rpm. This is not a problem by itself but I tend to think that this type of loading may have lead to its early demise...probably not but maybe. Anyway, I think the built-in generator provides just enough power for my needs anyway but have a few questions on this setup. Here they are:

1. I flew for two hours this morning and the whole time my system voltage showed 14.0V on my EIS. Now I have an ammeter on the positive lead of the battery showing amp draw in (+) or out (-) of battery. This varied consistently through the two hour flight between +5 and -5 with most of the time around +2. The battery is kept on a tender so it was completely charged when the flight started. I was told by a guy at the airport that a battery will only take the amps it needs as it needs them so a discharged, or low charged battery would take and show more amps going in than a fully charged battery. Is this how it works?

2. I also was wondering about the regulator/rectifier. Does this regulate the amount of power going to the battery? In other words, does it sense battery voltage and send current as needed to the battery to maintain the charge or is it always charging regardless of system or battery voltage?

After the flight, I checked my battery with my multi-meter and it show 13.0V so it was still fully charged after two hours of flying so the system is obviously working (again the EIS aslo showed 14.0V the entire flight), I am simply curious as to how it works.

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Kaysville, Utah
kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

Darin, did you fly to Logan?  A Kitfox landed and departed while I had the Hatz up.  After about 45 minutes over the airport the engine quit.  Will update for the interested when the cause is determined.

My understanding is that the voltage regulator does just that, regulates the voltage out of the alternator/generator to no more than 13.8 (Theoretically).  The generating beast puts out voltage more or less linearly according to rpm.  You saw this with your gear drive alternator.  My understanding is as suggested that the battery draws the amps needs to become charged.  Can't understand why you would have negative amps unless the equipment draw changed and exceeded the capacity of the alternator.
John
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

KITFOXZ(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

Hello Darin,

I'll take a crack at your questions. Although I am not a degreed electronics engineer, I have worked my whole life as an electronics tech.  I earned my education in electronics through the United States Navy Avionics B School. This is a course of study comparable to many university electronics engineering programs of the time.

First, your aircraft does not have a true "charging system". It simply has a battery and an alternator/regulator that are in parallel with each other. They are both sources of DC power. The alternator and it's rectifier/regulator work as a system that produce a regulated output voltage of 13.8 - 14 VDC. The Rotax built-in alternator has a very limited current output capability and so that regulated output of 13.8 - 14 VDC may fall below it's regulated voltage point if the ship's load is great enough.

One of the battery's purposes is to help stabilize the alternator's output during these peak load times. That is why you see the ammeter show a negative value at times. --The alternator is not keeping up with the power demands of the ship's power bus and so the battery is supplying the deficit power. It is suffering a net discharge.

When the battery's voltage drops below the output voltage of the alternator's, --the battery is taking on a charge. It charges back up to the applied voltage of 13.8 - 14 VDC This is true unless the ship's power buss is using more power than the alternator can produce.

The fact that you see an average of +2 amps on your ammeter demonstrates that on average you are producing enough power to the buss to supply all system's needs and keep the battery charged. If you turned on your landing lights, electric deicing boots, electric seat heater and your radar jamming countermeasures transmitters, your average ammeter reading would be deep in the negative and your battery would soon be dead.

The guy at your airport is essentially right in that the battery's fully charged voltage is about 14 volts. It will not charge any higher than that because the regulator's output is limited to that value. If the regulator were to output a higher voltage, the fully charged battery would heat and boil more electrolyte out and soon would go dry without attention.  The chemistry of the battery will not allow it to raise it's voltage too much higher.

You may think of the battery and alternator as being in equilibrium most of the time. The battery's voltage is pushing back at the alternator's output and they are equal. When the battery's voltage is below this point, some alternator current flows to it to charge it back up.

You can succeed in your arrangement as long as you know when your load is exceeding your alternator's output and take action to reduce power consumption as needed. As long as you average in the positive range of your ammeter reading you should be good.

I don't think the gear ratio of your external alternator to shaft speed had anything to do with it's failure. I would be curious to know what the specific failure was though.

I hope this is helpful to you. There are others on the list who may be able to offer more.

John P. Marzluf
Columbus, Ohio
Outback (out back in the garage)

In a message dated 5/16/2009 8:29:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, gerns25(at)netscape.net writes:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "darinh" <gerns25(at)netscape.net>

Ok, I have a couple questions for people that are smarter than myself when it comes to electronics. These questions have to do with the charging system and how it works.

I've got a 914 and had a dual alternator setup on it for awhile...this worked flawlessly until my external alternator crapped out on me. I had it rebuilt but have not put it back on yet for many reasons, one being that it runs on the vacuum pump gear which only turns .52:1 to the engine so it doesn't really come alive until 3000 to 3500 rpm. This is not a problem by itself but I tend to think that this type of loading may have lead to its early demise...probably not but maybe. Anyway, I think the built-in generator provides just enough power for my needs anyway but have a few questions on this setup. Here they are:

1. I flew for two hours this morning and the whole time my system voltage showed 14.0V on my EIS.  Now I have an ammeter on the positive lead of the battery showing amp draw in (+) or out (-) of battery. This varied consistently through the two hour flight between +5 and -5 with most of the time around +2. The battery is kept on a tender so it was completely charged when the flight started.  I was told by a guy at the airport that a battery will only take the amps it needs as it needs them so a discharged, or low charged battery would take and show more amps going in than a fully charged battery. Is this how it works?

2. I also was wondering about the regulator/rectifier. Does this regulate the amount of power going to the battery? In other words, does it sense battery voltage and send current as needed to the battery to maintain the charge or is it always charging regardless of system or battery voltage?

After the flight, I checked my battery with my multi-meter and it show 13.0V so it was still fully charged after two hours of flying so the system is obviously working (again the EIS aslo showed 14.0V the entire flight), I am simply curious as to how it works.

--------
Darin Hawkes
Series 7
914 Turbo
Kaysville, Utah

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=244303#244303===============================================
_-= the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
[quote][b]

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

1. That's pretty much it... A discharged battery will absorb current from
the generator. The purpose of the regulator is to keep the voltage high
enough so the pattery can absorb power... this is generally at 13.8V. BTW I
don't personally recommend putting the battery on a tender and leaving it
for extended periods of time. If you want to do that look into a pulse
charger. Even a small continuous current can boil a battery in time.

2. The regulator rectifier does two jobs. It converts AC current produced
by the alternator to DC current which your radios, etc use. It also keeps
the output of the alternator at around 13.8V As a discharged battery starts
to charge it will drop the voltage slightly causing the regulator to allow
the alternator to produce more current to keep the whole system at around
13.8V The further discharged your battery is the higher the ammeter + will
read. The voltage should remain more or less consist ant... That is the
job of the regulator.

Note there is a margin of usability on the voltage. 14.0 V is ok (at) 15V I'd
land and check out things.

Noel

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

John:

That is exactly when the ammeter will go negative

Certified aircraft in Canada are only allowed to install loads to 80% or the capacity of the alternator if they do not have a load meter.  If they do have a load meter they are allowed to install no more than 100% of the generating capacity of their engine.

Homebuilt or amateur built aircraft can do as they please but for me the 80%  rule is good common horse sense...

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of kerrjohna(at)comcast.net
Sent: 16 May 2009 11:21 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Charging System Theory - A few Questions

Darin, did you fly to Logan? A Kitfox landed and departed while I had the Hatz up. After about 45 minutes over the airport the engine quit. Will update for the interested when the cause is determined.

My understanding is that the voltage regulator does just that, regulates the voltage out of the alternator/generator to no more than 13.8 (Theoretically). The generating beast puts out voltage more or less linearly according to rpm. You saw this with your gear drive alternator. My understanding is as suggested that the battery draws the amps needs to become charged. Can't understand why you would have negative amps unless the equipment draw changed and exceeded the capacity of the alternator.

John
---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

A very nice description... Much better than my hack at it! I take it military aircraft are allowed to have more equipment thant 100% of generating capacity on board.

noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KITFOXZ(at)aol.com
Sent: 17 May 2009 12:01 AM

Hello Darin,

I'll take a crack at your questions. Although I am not a degreed electronics engineer, I have worked my whole life as an electronics tech. I earned my education in electronics through the United States Navy Avionics B School. This is a course of study comparable to many university electronics engineering programs of the time.

First, your aircraft does not have a true "charging system". It simply has a battery and an alternator/regulator that are in parallel with each other. They are both sources of DC power. The alternator and it's rectifier/regulator work as a system that produce a regulated output voltage of 13.8 - 14 VDC. The Rotax built-in alternator has a very limited current output capability and so that regulated output of 13.8 - 14 VDC may fall below it's regulated voltage point if the ship's load is great enough.

One of the battery's purposes is to help stabilize the alternator's output during these peak load times. That is why you see the ammeter show a negative value at times. --The alternator is not keeping up with the power demands of the ship's power bus and so the battery is supplying the deficit power. It is suffering a net discharge.

When the battery's voltage drops below the output voltage of the alternator's, --the battery is taking on a charge. It charges back up to the applied voltage of 13.8 - 14 VDC This is true unless the ship's power buss is using more power than the alternator can produce.

The fact that you see an average of +2 amps on your ammeter demonstrates that on average you are producing enough power to the buss to supply all system's needs and keep the battery charged. If you turned on your landing lights, electric deicing boots, electric seat heater and your radar jamming countermeasures transmitters, your average ammeter reading would be deep in the negative and your battery would soon be dead.

The guy at your airport is essentially right in that the battery's fully charged voltage is about 14 volts. It will not charge any higher than that because the regulator's output is limited to that value. If the regulator were to output a higher voltage, the fully charged battery would heat and boil more electrolyte out and soon would go dry without attention. The chemistry of the battery will not allow it to raise it's voltage too much higher.

You may think of the battery and alternator as being in equilibrium most of the time. The battery's voltage is pushing back at the alternator's output and they are equal. When the battery's voltage is below this point, some alternator current flows to it to charge it back up.

You can succeed in your arrangement as long as you know when your load is exceeding your alternator's output and take action to reduce power consumption as needed. As long as you average in the positive range of your ammeter reading you should be good.

I don't think the gear ratio of your external alternator to shaft speed had anything to do with it's failure. I would be curious to know what the specific failure was though.

I hope this is helpful to you. There are others on the list who may be able to offer more.

John P. Marzluf

Columbus, Ohio

In a message dated 5/16/2009 8:29:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, gerns25(at)netscape.net writes:
Quote:

1. I flew for two hours this morning and the whole time my system voltage showed 14.0V on my EIS. Now I have an ammeter on the positive lead of the battery showing amp draw in (+) or out (-) of battery. This varied consistently through the two hour flight between +5 and -5 with most of the time around +2. The battery is kept on a tender so it was completely charged when the flight started. I was told by a guy at the airport that a battery will only take the amps it needs as it needs them so a discharged, or low charged battery would take and show more amps going in than a fully charged battery. Is this how it works?

--------
Darin Hawkes
Series 7
914 Turbo
Kaysville, Utah

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=244303#244303======================
======================= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ======================= - List Contribution Web Site sp; =

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

darinh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net wrote:
Darin, did you fly to Logan? A Kitfox landed and departed while I had the Hatz up.---

Yes John that was me. I saw you with your Hatz out and thought that was you orbiting the airport. I heard you make the call and stayed on the radio until I heard you announce "high final...dead stick" and thought at least you had made it to the runway. Sounds like it was a successful deadstick landing though and that is good. I for one would be interested in hearing the cause when you find it. By the way, that is a beautiful biplane! Nice job.

Kaysville, Utah
darinh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

KITFOXZ(at)aol.com wrote:
Hello Darin,

I'll take a crack at your questions. Although I am not a degreed electronics engineer, I have worked my whole life as an electronics tech.� I earned my education in electronics through the United States Navy Avionics B School. This is a course of study comparable to many university electronics engineering programs of the time.

One of the battery's purposes is to help stabilize the alternator's output during these peak load times. That is why you see the ammeter show a negative value at times. --The alternator is not keeping up with the power demands of the ship's power bus and so the battery is supplying the deficit power. It is suffering a net discharge.....

John P. Marzluf
Columbus, Ohio

John,

Thanks for that reply...answered all my questions and them some! That all makes sense and is basically how I understood the system but was not sure. The fact is that I would like to be able to run my lighting, strobes and navs along with a few other things like my deicing boots and radar jamming counter measures transmitters (actually just my heater fans) so I need to get my other alternator back on and see why it is causing my oil temp gauge to fluctuate wildly. Which brings up another question (I'll make it blue text to stand out):

Do I need another noise suppression capacitor on bolt on alternator? it is the same (or very similar) to the Rotax add-on altenator but it runs on the vacuum pump pad. It is internally regulated and rectified but does not have any internal noise suppression. I noticed that the wiring diagram in my engine installation manual shows the add-on alternator requiring a capacitor also. I ask because someone told me I didn't need one on both onboard and add-on alternators but it is there in the manual. I ordered one from John and have it so I am going to put it on unless someone can tell me why I don't need it. I get quite a bit of noise from it when I transmit...to the point that the tower has a hard time understanding. This doesn't happen when running on the Rotax generator that is on a capacitor.

By the way, the alternator coil leads broke. The shop that rebuilt it said the original leads were very small and brittle and a couple other broke just in the disassembly. Apparently, the place that supplied the alternator did quite a bit of custom machining (custom shaft with spline gear, mount and stock mounting bracket removal) but the attachment of the coil leads was pretty crappy. They are now done with larger copper and ring terminals on each lead. It is a Nippondenso 60A alternator if you are curious but turned down like it is it only produce 30A - 40A....plenty for my bird.

Kaysville, Utah
KITFOXZ(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

Darin,

Another Capacitor? OK, this will take a few more paragraphs to answer. The short answer is that yes, it will help. All alternators produce voltage that is full of peaks and valley's. Batteries produce smooth DC power. This is problematic for sensitive avionics equipment because they run best on pure Swiss chocolate smooth DC. The alternator's regulator minimizes these peaks and valleys but, still they are there.

A large value (22,000 microfarad) filter capacitor will do a bunch of smoothing of that pulsing, peaking, jerking short duration valley, voltage being supplied by your alternators. If pure DC voltage is depicted by a smooth straight line across the page, a long line of cursive lower case m's and i's across the page is what the output voltage will look like unfiltered. This alternator "noise" is a part of what you hear in your radio audio. A filter capacitor located as close to the alternator regulator's output as is practical is best to minimize it.

The water bucket analogy:

Consider a bucket of water. The bucket is full of water and there is a small hole in the side of it near the bottom. A stream of water is coming out of the hole propelled by the weight of the full bucket of water (head pressure) and it is projecting out several inches to the side before gravity has it's way with the stream and forces it to the ground. Let's just say for fun that the stream hitting the ground is doing so at thirty-six inches from the bucket horizontally. This must be a big (deep) bucket I am talking about!

As long as the bucket is kept full, the stream is a full 36 inches strong. Let the bucket get partially empty and the stream is hurting for distance. (Insert prostate jokes here)

Instead of water, your filter capacitor stores electrical current.  Keep the capacitor full of electrons and the ship's buss will not feel much effect from any of those valleys (low bucket water) --when the alternator is outputting a valley. Add a peak or pulse of higher voltage to the capacitor's stores and the buss only detects a minimal increase in "water pressure". The capacitor is a pretty good passive voltage filter mechanism.

THE MOST IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT OF ALL ELECTRONICS (AVIONICS) EQUIPMENT IS TO HAVE THE LUXURY OF SOLID, SMOOTH AND AMPLE DC POWER!

--Mess with that and you get what you get, --noisy radio receivers, unintelligible radio transmissions, GPS receivers that crash and reboot, RADAR jamming electronic countermeasures transmitters that tell the enemy it's just you and your noisy sh*t overhead again!

The ship's battery plays a big role in keeping the buss smooth like Swiss chocolate. The battery is actually a better filter than the capacitor but it is located some distance from the alternator and this hurts. If noise is not suppressed as soon as practical and hopefully right at the source, the ship's buss will still be affected.

Shut the engine down and you have the ideal environment, no alternator noise, no ignition impulse noise, and no electrostatic noise from all engine vibration related mechanical parts clanging together.

We all should sell our Foxes and go sailplaning!

John

John P. Marzluf
Columbus, Ohio

In a message dated 5/17/2009 1:16:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, gerns25(at)netscape.net writes:
Quote:
John,

Thanks for that reply...answered all my questions and them some! That all makes sense and is basically how I understood the system but was not sure. The fact is that I would like to be able to run my lighting, strobes and navs along with a few other things like my deicing boots and radar jamming counter measures transmitters (actually just my heater fans) so I need to get my other alternator back on and see why it is causing my oil temp gauge to fluctuate wildly. Which brings up another question (I'll make it blue text to stand out):

Do I need another noise suppression capacitor on bolt on alternator? it is the same (or very similar) to the Rotax add-on altenator but it runs on the vacuum pump pad. It is internally regulated and rectified but does not have any internal noise suppression. I noticed that the wiring diagram in my engine installation manual shows the add-on alternator requiring a capacitor also. I ask because someone told me I didn't need one on both onboard and add-on alternators but it is there in the manual. I ordered one from John and have it so I am going to put it on unless someone can tell me why I don't need it. I get quite a bit of noise from it when I transmit...to the point that the tower has a hard time understanding. This doesn't happen when running on the Rotax generator that is on a capacitor.

By the way, the alternator coil leads broke. The shop that rebuilt it said the original leads were very small and brittle and a couple other broke just in the disassembly. Apparently, the place that supplied the alternator did quite a bit of custom machining (custom shaft with spline gear, mount and stock mounting bracket removal) but the attachment of the coil leads was pretty crappy. They are now done with larger copper and ring terminals on each lead. It is a Nippondenso 60A alternator if you are curious but turned down like it is it only produce 30A - 40A....plenty for my bird.

--------
Darin Hawkes
Series 7
914 Turbo
Kaysville, Utah

A strong credit score is 700 or above. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
[quote][b]

occom

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

Nobody has adresses HOW the regulator rectifier works so I'll toss in that
bit.

Most of the alternators I've seen on the Rotax's are permanant magnet type,
meaning they have a magnet as the rotor in their center. When the magnet is
rotated, it's magnetic field causes electricity to be excited in the coils
surrounding it. In an open circuit this voltage can be quite high, 40V is
common. This electricity is alternating current. and must be changed into
direct current before we can use it. this is done externally on the stock
alternator using a recitifier bridge (a set of diodes). What you have now is
DC as far as it matters for us, but this type of alternator with the
permanant magnet cannot adjust it's output to match demand. It will put out
all it can, all the time and the faster it spins the more power it puts out
so we have to put a gate (regulator) of some type on the output to keep the
rush of electrons from frying all the stuff that gets hooked up to it.
There's two ways to go with regulators as we use them here. In most of them
we open a gate to send the excess power directly to ground whenever votage
exceeds a determined point, this is a shunt regulator and the type Rotax
supplies. The alternative is to hold back the invading hordes by slamming
the gate shut, opening the circuit. The second one is called a series
regulator. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The Key West
regulator is a series type I believe, while all the tympanium types supplied
by Rotax are shunt regulators. Noise suppression, important to anyone with a
radio is supposed to be easier with shunt regulators.

The important thing here is that with a shunt regulator, the generating coil
is putting out basically all the power it is capable of, all the time. If
this power has to be shunted to ground, as it would if you had very low
loads, the regulator will get warmer than if you are using all the power
elsewhere. So if your system is properly sized and you are not actually
depleting the battery during a normal flight then adding generating capacity
will be a way to make your system noisier and less happy (just the opposite
of what you would guess).

The last way of doing it, and the best (IMO) is the excited field
alternator. In this one, the permanent magnet is replaced buy an
electromagnet, thus there is nothing generated until power is supplied to
energize the magnet. In these ones the regulator supplied the magnet coil
only enough power to make the output exactly match demand. Cool, quiet, and
efficient it is somewhat more expensive and complex. In any case it's not
used on Rotax, Jabiru, Hirth, or many others. It is used on your car though.

Although I believe this to be accurate and reliable information, as with
anything you read on the internet use common sense.
Do not archive,

patreilly43(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

John C Thank you for the electrical explainations. Make sure you chime in as early as possible on electrical topics. Most electrical engineer degreed people don't explain as simply and concise as you. Experience outweighs formal education every time. As Mark Twain said C "Don't let too much schooling get in the way of getting a good education".
do not archive 

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL 

Quote:
Date: Sat C 16 May 2009 22:14:28 -0700

KITFOXZ(at)aol.com wrote:
> Hello Darin C
>
> I'll take a crack at your questions. Although I am not a degreed electronics engineer C I have worked my whole life as an electronics tech.� I earned my education in electronics through the United States Navy Avionics B School. This is a course of study comparable to many university electronics engineering programs of the time.
>
> First C your aircraft does not have a true "charging system". It simply has a battery and an alternator/regulator that are in parallel with each other. They are both sources of DC power. The alternator and it's rectifier/regulator work as a system that produce a regulated output voltage of 13.8 - 14 VDC. The Rotax built-in alternator has a very limited current output capability and so that regulated output of 13.8 - 14 VDC may fall below it's regulated voltage point if the ship's load is great enough.
>
> One of the battery's purposes is to help stabilize the alternator's output during these peak load times. That is why you see the ammeter show a negative value at times. --The alternator is not keeping up with the power demands of the ship's power bus and so the battery is supplying the deficit power. It is suffering a net discharge.....
>
> John P. Marzluf
> Columbus C Ohio
> Outback (out back in the garage)
>
>

John C

Thanks for that reply...answered all my questions and them some! That all makes sense and is basically how I understood the system but was not sure. The fact is that I would like to be able to run my lighting C strobes and navs along with a few other things like my deicing boots and radar jamming counter measures transmitters (actually just my heater fans) so I need to get my other alternator back on and see why it is causing my oil temp gauge to fluctuate wildly. Which brings up another question (I'll make it blue text to stand out):

By the way C the alternator coil leads broke. The shop that rebuilt it said the original leads were very small and brittle and a couple other broke just in the disassembly. Apparently C the place that supplied the alternator did quite a bit of custom machining (custom shaft with spline gear C mount and stock mounting bracket removal) but the attachment of the coil leads was pretty crappy. They are now done with larger copper and ring terminals on each lead. It is a Nippondenso 60A alternator if you are curious but turned down like it is it only produce 30A - 40A....plenty for my bird.

--------
Darin Hawkes
Series 7
914 Turbo
Kaysville C Utah

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=244335#244335

&g========================>

[quote]

Quote:
[b]

darinh

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

John,

Thanks again for the reply. I liked the water bucket analogy...I am a civil engineer working in the water industry. I can follow water because I can see it...electrons are a bit harder for me to see.

Kaysville, Utah
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

At 10:14 PM 5/16/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

By the way Darin,
I don't know if you're already doing it, but you should definitely cross-post these to the Aeroelectric List. It is also Matronics so you subscribe the same way you subscribed to this list. Unfortunately you'll get lots of chaff, but particularly if Bob Nucholls replies, you get some good wheat too.

Guy Buchanan, Kitfox List Moderator
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 300 hrs. and counting [quote][b]

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Charging System Theory - A few Questions Reply with quote

Dave, Thanks for the super explanation of the electrical system ! It was easy to understand and the electrical system is finally coming into focus !! This has always been a problem area for me . I really appreciate all of the replies from everyone ! It will help me analyze my own electrical problem when it happens (at least a little bit)
      Dick Maddux
      Fox 4-1200
      Pensacola,Fl
A Good Credit Score is 70001367178/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=115%26bcd=Mayfooter51809NO115>See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: