Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Flights was Pilot Proficiency vs RV10 'flyabili

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim(at)CombsFive.Com

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: First Flights was Pilot Proficiency vs RV10 'flyabili Reply with quote

Les,I had transition training with Alex in Dallas. He made sure to cover the emergency landing piece of flying! I felt pretty good on the first flight. Just don't expect to do a lot on the first flight. Gary brought up a good point. If you are not used to the EFIS screens, you can be overwhelmed by the amount of information presented. It takes a while (Several hours of flying) to get used to what you need to look and and what can be ignored. Spending time on the ground with the systems up and running goes a long way before actually getting in the air and wondering what buttons to push to get this and that to happen.Jim CN312F - It's a wonderful airplane to fly!Do Not Archive--> RV10-List message posted by: "Les Kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca>HiThis thread and the various perspectives are interesting to say the least.I'd like to add a twist related to first flights especially given all thenewly minted -10s that have been taking off of late.When the time comes to take my -10 up, I will be current in my PA28 andwillalso have taken transition training. That being said, the first flightreally seems to me to be a flight into the unknown. Sure everything willhave been quadruple checked but then again, sometimes s**t does happen. Atthat point experience will count for everything. Although I have a 1000+hours in my Cherokee, I have never had an off field landing (touch wood)ora serious emergency.That being said, my plan was to get a pilot experienced in initial flightsto do the first test flight. What happens if something goes seriouslywrongon the initial flight? Are we builders, especially after reduced flyinghours due to building, really the best people to fly the initial flight?Even factory built a/c are test flown by skilled *test* pilots for thefirsttime. Just food for thought.....CheersLes#40643 KOSH 20xx or bust [quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
orchidman

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: First Flights was Pilot Proficiency vs RV10 'flya Reply with quote

jim(at)CombsFive.Com wrote:
Les,I had transition training with Alex in Dallas.

I also had the training with Alex. I would say a must for any new -10 builder. I now have over 10 hours in my -10. I have dual AFS in my plane and I set the right seat EFIS full screen engine and my screen the stock Airspeed, Altimeter with the engine across the bottom.

I just wanted to know what my airspeed and altitude was and to be able to monitor the engine and not be confused with all the extra info. I am now adding all the other info to the screen as I am becoming more comfortable with everything. I just feel safer knowing that I will be able to stay with or ahead of all the information in front of me, inside and out Very Happy

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

egohr1

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: First Flights was Pilot Proficiency vs RV10 'flya Reply with quote

I second or third the value of the training with Alex. I felt very comfortable with the RV-10 in after the training.

Alex's 10 has the Trutrak efis as the primary display, so the transition training added to the comfort level with the AFS glass system.

I spent 10-15 hours with the AFS system powered up in the plane during building and installation. I used a PC power supply as the power source allowing to unlimited run times. This let me set up all the alarms and limits, test all the connections. Tip the efis to simulate flight prior to taking the plane to the airport. I highly recommend getting familiar with all displays on the ground.

As for the first flight, stick with the proven flight plans from vans and the FAA, pick the right airport, check everything 4 times.

As for today I have 5 hours on my RV-10 with only a couple if minor squawks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: