Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Packing The Wheel Bearings...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Packing The Wheel Bearings... Reply with quote

Dear Listers,

I'm just about to put the wheels on the axles. The manual indicates what kind of grease to use, but doesn't really indicate whether you're suppose to use *more* than is already gooped in the bearing when you open the Cleveland box. There seems to be a fair amount of grease already there. What's the common notion on this?

Thanks!

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
Gear Mounted (whew), Adding Wheels & Brakes...

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

2009.05.27_-_RV-8_-_Wheel_Bearing_Grease.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.49 KB
 Viewed:  2506 Time(s)

2009.05.27_-_RV-8_-_Wheel_Bearing_Grease.jpg

estone(at)mchsi.com

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Packing The Wheel Bearings... Reply with quote

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

t6pilot(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Packing The Wheel Bearings... Reply with quote

Matt:

I'd remove the bearings and check to be sure there is enough packed in them.
Not sure if Parker Hannifin has packed these as a presevation measure or
it's ok to use the factory grease for running on. I always use Aeroshell
#5. To be safe recommend that you clean the bearings and repack with the
recommended grease. It's not the time to install the wheels without enough
grease to assure adequate lubrication for flying.

Randy
---

cbrxxdrv(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Packing The Wheel Bearings... Reply with quote

I put mine on right out of the box. (after I cleaned things up)
All seemed fine at first condition inspection when I removed cleaned and repacked.

Sal
N898SC

--

egilroy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Packing The Wheel Bearings... Reply with quote

Matt:

Having repacked, replaced bearings and races on my share of Cessnas, the answer is "it depends". Were the bearings packed with a bearing packer, what grease was used, and how long ago were they packed? If they came that way from Van's or another supplier, and sat in storage, you have no way of knowing, so I would wash it all out with solvent. Grease has a definite shelf life, I replace in service AeroShell packings every year and chuck the can after 24 months. Then repack them with a bearing packer ("Lisle" makes a nice one) and apply a goodly swipe to the races as well. Don't go overboard, this isn't one of those cases (like with duct tape) where a little is good, a whole lot is better, it just runs out and all over everything, when put in service. Keep the packer, you'll need it for your repacks at annual time.

Ed

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Dear Listers,

I'm just about to put the wheels on the axles.  The manual indicates what kind of grease to use, but doesn't really indicate whether you're suppose to use *more* than is already gooped in the bearing when you open the Cleveland box.  There seems to be a fair amount of grease already there.  What's the common notion on this?

Thanks!

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
Gear Mounted (whew), Adding Wheels & Brakes...[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: