Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Circuit for "alternator emulator" for SEC-1223

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCS317(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Circuit for "alternator emulator" for SEC-1223 Reply with quote

Bob,
Have you found (in your paper stack) the circuit for a battery backup module or "alternator emulator" used to convert SEC-1223 power supply for battery backup application? I want to run my avionics while the battery backup module is used between the SEC-1223 and the aircraft battery.

My previous thread on Aerolectrics was about the problem of running my avionics with the SEC-1223 wired to the the aircraft battery.  As I understand this, there is a problem with the battery backfeeding the SEC-1223 and a problem with a discharged battery damaging the SEC-1223 by drawing too much current.

Would this simple circuit work?

Input Negative (from SEC-1223)----------------------------Battery Negative-------------Load Negative (Avionics)

Input Positive(from SEC-1223)----------!>------------------Battery Positive-------------Load Positive (Avionics)

!> is a Schottky Diode to protect the Battery backfeeding the Power Supply. Unfortunately, this gives no protection to the power supply (over-current) AND too much charging current for my recombinant gas battery in the case of a discharged battery. The circuit also lowers the voltage to the battery because of the diode forward voltage drop of 0.4 to 0.5 volt depending on the current draw, leaving 13.4 to 13.3 volts to the battery. My battery is a 34AHr Concorde CB35 RGXC. Recommended charging current would be 34 divided by 20 = 1.7 amps. Adding power resistors to the series circuit to protect the power supply from providing too much current would only reduce the current to the battery and limit the voltage to the avionics from battery drawdown?
1. Recommended circuit to solve my problems?
OR
2. Don't worry about a discharged battery if I know it is reasonably fully charged and just us the simple circuit above to protect the Battery backfeeding the Power Supply? Adequate forward voltage? Source and specs for the Shottky diode?
OR
3. Just use the b-lead to the alternator as you recommended before?  How to identify b-lead and attach which suitable connector so I can get to it easily on a regular basis?  Run wire to my cowling cooling air outlet with which connector.
OR
Install a cigarette lighter outlet under my panel to energize the avionics master and leave the battery master switch off?
Help!
Don Schmiesing
Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop: Now in 6 vibrant colors! Shop Dell's full line of laptops.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: