Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterlthomson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS Reply with quote

thanks to all who posted on this.

The oil lab says 4 of more than 100 912 engines showed more than 2pct fuel in oil, and, as an aside, that they notice marine engines have higher levels of fuel, likely due lower running temps.

As this is a low time (380hr) engine which runs cold (70C), I suspect it is likely Kev's suggestion, rather than Ivor's weeping diaphragm (hope not!).

I've ordered a Thermostasis oil thermostat to increase oil temp. Tape over the oil cooler is easier, but maybe I will find a time when I need it to work 100pct. I fly in ambient ground temps of 30C+ most of the year.

I agree with you Roger on the carb balance, compression testing and have these done,
On interesting point is that there has never been any moisture contamination show in the oil. Water is why Rotax recommend running oil temps over 100C each day of use.

again, thanks for all your comments !

Peter
Zenair CH701SP (CZAW)
Rotax 912ULS 380hr
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Just a thought.

With a thermostat you will only pick up another 22F. From 158F to 180F. This won't be enough. The thermostat will be wide open at that point and it will not get you up to 212-220F. I know many people with water and oil thermostats and they don't think they work very well. I don't have either and when setting side by side warming up with them my temps come up just as fast as theirs partly because we are talking about a very small fluid area. The tape can bring you up to a temp range more to your liking. One 2" wide strip across the top of the radiator. My radiator is sandwiched together while others are two separate radiators (oil, coolant).
While waiting for the radiator to come in why don't you take a flight or two with the tape so you'll have something to compare before you add the thermostat.

Let us know how it works out.

Just a thought.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
lucien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS Reply with quote

Roger Lee wrote:
Hi Peter,

Just a thought.

With a thermostat you will only pick up another 22F. From 158F to 180F. This won't be enough. The thermostat will be wide open at that point and it will not get you up to 212-220F. I know many people with water and oil thermostats and they don't think they work very well. I don't have either and when setting side by side warming up with them my temps come up just as fast as theirs partly because we are talking about a very small fluid area. The tape can bring you up to a temp range more to your liking. One 2" wide strip across the top of the radiator. My radiator is sandwiched together while others are two separate radiators (oil, coolant).
While waiting for the radiator to come in why don't you take a flight or two with the tape so you'll have something to compare before you add the thermostat.

Just a thought.

I have the oil thermostat in my oil system (912ULS) and find that it's a big help. The only time it doesn't help is in very cold weather (i.e. 20F or below) where I've had the oil temp unable to get even to 180, basically no oil cooling at all and it's still running cold.
At that point, I have to add tape to the coolant radiator as well to try to get the thing to heat up. If I can't get the oil temp to 180 that way I just land Wink.

I highly recommend the thermostat as it does allow your oil temps to get warm in all but the coldest situations.....

LS

fygdog(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS Reply with quote

From; Steve Feigley
I think some of you are too concerned with the oil temps indicated at your gauge. The oil is subjected to the engine temps ie; cylinder temp as it passes through them, these temps are high enough to evap. any h2o or residule fuel . If your gauge is indicating temps after passing through the cooler a lower temp is perfectly acceptable.

--- On Mon, 7/13/09, Roger Lee <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 8:04 AM

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi Peter,

Just a thought.

Just a thought.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Service Center
520-574-1080

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=252776#252776

= --> http://forums.sp; - List Contribution Web Sbsp; >

[quote][b]

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Re - fuel in oil Rotax 912ULS Reply with quote

I have been using Lowells oil cooler shutters for the past year and they work very well. (Highwing LLC)During the cold of winter (which isn't much here) I cut a piece of a magazine cover and slid it behind the shutters to block additional air and was able to control the temp very well without tape stuck to the cooler (which also works)
The nice thing is that you can control the oil temp from the cockpit.
      Dick Maddux
      Milton,Fl
Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.

ebay_030.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.06 KB
 Viewed:  5726 Time(s)

ebay_030.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: