Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windscreen cleaners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Windscreen cleaners Reply with quote

My airplane suffered through a summer in middle Alabama and was covered with some sort of pollen or...who the hell knows. It also effected my brand new class. It now has a tough film on it that I want off! Anyone have any suggestions of the BEST plexiglass cleaning products?

Also, in the old days, I used to use Rain-X on the visor of my motorcycle helmets. Has anyone tried it on the Yak? I am looking more for protection against the bugs and oil.
Thanks in advance.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Windscreen cleaners Reply with quote

What I would do. 

First rinse off with fresh water.
Do not rub with anything.
Next use a dish liquid detergent and a soft rag and wash down the glass.
Rinse well.
Next use a good plastic polish.
Never ever make circular motions with any rag with polish or soaps.  Always make straight motion with rags.

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Tim Gagnon" <NiftyYak50(at)msn.com>

My airplane suffered through a summer in middle Alabama and was covered with some sort of pollen or...who the hell knows. It also effected my brand new class. It now has a tough film on it that I want off! Anyone have any suggestions of the BEST plexiglass cleaning products?
Also, in the old days, I used to use Rain-X on the visor of my motorcycle helmets. Has anyone tried it on the Yak? I am looking more for protection against the bugs and oil.

Thanks in advance.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bootless(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Windscreen cleaners Reply with quote

I like Plexicoat by AeroShell, part of the Flight Jacket kit.

Good plex cleaning advice, btw.

Also, don't let your airport security pass scratch your glass! Smile

best, Cory

cjpilot710(at)aol.com (cjpilot710(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
What I would do. 

Rinse well.
Never ever make circular motions with any rag with polish or soaps.  Always make straight motion with rags.

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Tim Gagnon" <NiftyYak50(at)msn.com> (NiftyYak50(at)msn.com)

Thanks in advance.

bootless(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Windscreen cleaners Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. Microfiber cloths are *the* best to use - shop rags, paper towels and such will grind any debris into the already distressed plex. Ouch!
Quote:
Quote:

Rinse well.

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Tim Gagnon" <NiftyYak50(at)msn.com> (NiftyYak50(at)msn.com)

Thanks in advance.

cdustercc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Windscreen cleaners Reply with quote

I know people are going to cringe at this, but we wipe our windows down between ten and fifteen times a day with an aerosol can of plexi safe cleaner and the blue shop towels that are half way between rags and paper towels. Scratches only seem to be a problem when the load boys let their watches get on the glass. We have also had really good luck getting bad contamination like paint overspray off of plexi with a product called clay lube. It is just a bar of clay and some soapy water that you rub on the glass until it feels smooth and the contamination is gone. You can also wax your plexi with turtle wax. It will clean up nicely as long as you have an absolutely clean applicator pad. I would stay away from any plastic with rain-x although it does a great job on glass aircraft winshields.

Craig

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Windscreen cleaners Reply with quote

One day I was walking across the ramp and noticed the crew chief rubbing
this white stuff on our viper canopies. Ask him what it was..his reply was
Elephant cum was what they all called it..Anyway, turns out it was Turtle
Wax 2002. Comes in a green bottle. Simply wipe it on, let it dry, and wipe
it off with a soft terry cloth in the manor discribed earlier. It will take
bugs, oil, pollen, and even pine tar off. Have been using it for about 4
years on my windscreens without any noticable scratches. In fact on some of
the windsheilds I have put it on that had the circular grazing, It seemed
to fill in the scratches.
Doc
Quote:
[Original Message]
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 4/3/2006 1:25:48 PM
Subject: Re: Windscreen cleaners

I know people are going to cringe at this, but we wipe our windows down
between ten and fifteen times a day with an aerosol can of plexi safe

cleaner and the blue shop towels that are half way between rags and paper
towels. Scratches only seem to be a problem when the load boys let their
watches get on the glass. We have also had really good luck getting bad
contamination like paint overspray off of plexi with a product called clay
lube. It is just a bar of clay and some soapy water that you rub on the
glass until it feels smooth and the contamination is gone. You can also
wax your plexi with turtle wax. It will clean up nicely as long as you have
an absolutely clean applicator pad. I would stay away from any plastic
with rain-x although it does a great job on glass aircraft winshields.
Quote:

Craig

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=26280#26280

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: