Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Wheelwright

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

I have had a BAD day with my windows !!! After leaving my perfect fitted window to cure over night, I have discovered this morning that it has sprung slightly in the corner near to the handle.

Is it possible to remove the window in this corner to allow a cleanup and to re-set it back to as it should be into the rebate? if so, how without damaging the perspex?

I have also got a small amount of redux onto the perspex in top corner. Is their a way to remove it without scratching the Perspex?

=============================================
Thank You
Richard Wheelwright

Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

craigb(at)onthenet.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

You may be able to sand (carefully) the redux off, with a dremel or
simmilar, and then polish
the scratches out, Simmilar to the process used for headlight restoration
these days. I believe
a few of the "professional" builders covered polishing of screens a few
months ago.

craig

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ron Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

Hello Richard,
Sorry to hear about the problem with the "sprung" window.
I'm sure you will already have thought that heat is probably the only
"treatment". The problem is that both the Redox and the Perspex will soften.
The question as I see it is which softens first?
I haven't tried it but wonder if this might work. Cut a piece of metal
(ally, 1/8th thick, e.g.) to the shape of the area affected and a piece of
wood (ply e.g.) the same. Take another chunk of wood (2"x1"e.g.) to bridge
across the inside corner of the door and, using a G cramp, clamp the whole
thing together . With a hair drier, warm up the door-frame area where the
window has lifted. The metal should (hopefully) act as a heat sink to
protect the window while the Redox should (again, hopefully) soften and
allow the Perspex to re-seat.
Just a thought. It might work! (Before you try it, would you please delete
this email and my address in case it doesn't!)
Best regards,
Ron Jones.

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

Hello Richard,

Sorry to hear about your window. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a quick fix for the problem you have described. Because the Perspex has lifted from the door rebate you will find that the cured Redux is shiny and thus will not take a bond with new Redux without prepping it first. If you are able to sand the exposed Redux you may be able get a good bond. However, without seeing the window I can comment of the viability of this scenario. If this is not a possibility, I fear you may have to completely remove the window and remove the cured Redux., Not too bad of a job with a heat gun. There have been a few builders who have replaced windows that can give you better advise on the process than I. Just be really careful. Regarding the area that has cured Redux on the Perspex; carefully sanding this down is probably the best solution. The Perspex does polish up nicely with restoration, however, you will get localized distortion which I believe is unavoidable. I have found that sanding it up through 1500 grit paper followed by hand polishing works nicely. Good luck.

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Sorry for taking so long to comment. I was out. Flew a Motor Glider from Tampa To Kansas City. Great trip.
127 TAS at 4.8 gph at 8500ft. A lot of weather, but not bad.

On to windows...
Richard, The problem may already be fixed, but here are my two cents:
On the sprung corner, if it is out only 1mm or so, try to fill the area with clear redux. Keep in mind, that it is not going to bond well as the surfaces have cured glue on them and are slick. But it will prevent a large air void and possible separation if filled. I have not had one sprung in the shop, once when helping someone redoing a door which was damaged, I saw a void near the handle that was 1.5 inches around the corner. I suggested he grind the glass closer to level and he filled the void by injecting in redux, then glassed over the corner, making his door glass viewing area about 1/2 inch smaller in the corner, but the glassing of two layers of staggered bid has done the trick. One other thing I noticed is that the door panel to plexi joint was very smooth and didn't show a bump in the heat after painting due to different expansion rates.

Usually, any redux on the outside of the glass can be flecked off using a plastic scraper. Sometimes a little heat to get it warm will do the trick (about 120 degrees F). The plexi will buff out. My windows are a mess of scratches as they are left-overs or returns... Using grits from 400 to 2000 then buffing compounds and a good slow buffer did the trick. Mine still need one more inside and out buffing with anti-swirl compound and they'll be fine.

Bud Yerly
Custom FLight
[quote] ---

Richard Wheelwright

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

Crag, Graham, Bud, Erich

Thank you for the replays, I have tyred some of the suggested methods.

Graham, the soldering Iron is a good one, but it puts melt lines in theperspex and seems impossible to get between the door and the perspex

I have tyred heating with an hair dryer, This works too, carefully lifting the perspex off the door. but I feel it will not be enough to clean up the corner to get a good bond again.

Bud, If I sand it down, there will be no window left to make a small bid layup and will look bad on the position it is in on my Europa.

I feel the only way would be to completely remove the window and start again.

Thank You
Richard Wheelwright

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I am not sure I understand if your lifting Perplex is on the door or front windscreen, doesn't matter, could you put in an Ultimate ventilator in that area?

http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album277&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

If above not feasible, if it is in the corner where if you were to make window smaller and visability would be acceptable, you could cut out lifting corner out and re-establish a rebate with some glass. I would lay up first ply wet out with Redux, then peel ply, after cure use aeropoxy plies.

Good luck
Ron Parigoris

Ron Parigoris

kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

Ron C that's a good idea. I had a disaster situation where the open door fried near a 500W
halogen ceiling lamp. I cried C but then I had the bright idea of fitting a ventilator in that location. which was just behind my head . It worked out well as it extracts the incoming air from the Naca scoops.

Karl

Quote:
Subject: Re: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window
Date: Mon C 20 Jul 2009 00:13:47 +0300
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

--> Europa-List message posted by: "rparigoris" <rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us>

Hi Richard

I am not sure I understand if your lifting Perplex is on the door or front windscreen C doesn't matter C could you put in an Ultimate ventilator in that area?

http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album277&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

If above not feasible C if it is in the corner where if you were to make window smaller and visability would be acceptable C you could cut out lifting corner out and re-establish a rebate with some glass. I would lay up first ply wet out with Redux C then peel ply C after cure use aeropoxy plies.

Good luck
Ron Parigoris

Ron Parigoris

&g============

Richard Wheelwright

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window Reply with quote

Well, A Bad window day just turned into a [b:d355cc4bf9]DESASTER!!![/b:d355cc4bf9]

The “Sprung” corner of my Port Door window is in the corner where the handle is, and the handle touched the Perspex on operating the handle, my thoughts where to reset the corner back down. I tried all the suggested option to release the Perspex from the door (Thank You for the suggestions), to allow a cleanup and to re-set the window. The heating from the hair dryer works well, gently lifting the Perspex with a small flat thin paint scraper, Until [b:d355cc4bf9]DESATER!!! Strikes[/b:d355cc4bf9]. I probably prised the Perspex a little too hard, and you know what comes next!!! Yes “Snap, Crack” HO S**T you have done it now. Embarassed Yes the corner has snap off.

Ok. Well it’s broken now. Get over it. So my Question to the list is, an option of parts required. I have spoke to Roger at the Factory, and advised that the factory don’t supply the brown tint windows ( Bronze) any more, but may be able to get one to match from there suppler. His first suggestion was to ask on the forum to see if any one had a Port, Bronze Window? Below is list of my now options, If any one can help please contact me rpwheelwright(at)yahoo.co.uk tel. 0044 (0)1422 376056 UK

1 Port Bronze door window
1 Complete Port door from a no longer flying Europa XS.
A Kicking around the workshop for me.

Thank You
Richard Wheelwright

Attachments:
http://www.europaowners.org//zfiles/desaster_699.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: