Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvonruden(at)generalequip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

I took off this evening in my stock CJ and experience a significant reduction in engine power as I was turning crosswind. I didn’t have time to look at all the gauges, but my power did come back to full. Don’t know if cranking on the wobble pump had any effect. My gear was up and I was concentrating on my airspeed and altitude. I realized that rather than land normally, I could land “downwind” on a zero wind evening (5500 foot runway). No other problems.

The engine acted normal while taxiing back to the hangar and during shutdown procedures.

<![if !supportLists]>1) <![endif]>Full power came back in flight.
<![if !supportLists]>2) <![endif]>Had approximately 24 gallons of fuel. (15 in starboard, 9 in port)
<![if !supportLists]>3) <![endif]>Normal run up.
<![if !supportLists]>4) <![endif]>Fuel was ON.
<![if !supportLists]>5) <![endif]>Primer was locked.
<![if !supportLists]>6) <![endif]>Fuel pressure on take-off was in the high green (which has been normal over my 30 hours in this aircraft) on the take-off roll.
<![if !supportLists]>7) <![endif]>I have the JPI 700 Analyzer installed and everything looked normal on the take-off roll.
<![if !supportLists]>Cool <![endif]>Drained fuel from the sump before flight and it was clean.
<![if !supportLists]>9) <![endif]>Remote chance for icing today in Minnesota…79°F and low humidity. The needle was not even close to the yellow on the gauge.
<![if !supportLists]>10) <![endif]> Did notice however…that the engine ran a bit rougher between 1200 and1600 RPM during the run up.

Back in the hangar, I drained the fuel screen on the firewall and found nothing. The aircraft was going in for a condition inspection next week. Nothing out of the ordinary. The engine has 35 hours since the first Chinese overhaul and has been running very well since completing the restoration. Any ideas to discuss with my mechanic tomorrow?

Don’t want to do this everyday.

<![if !mso]> <![endif]>

<![if !mso]> <![endif]> <![endif]--><![if !vml]>[img]cid:image002.gif(at)01CA37E1.161F26B0[/img]<![endif]>Dennis Von Ruden

General Equipment Company
507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)
dvonruden(at)generalequip.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL, AND/OR ATTACHMENT(S) IS CONFIDENTIAL. If you received this e mail in error, and are not the recipient(s) or responsible for receiving this e mail for the recipient, please inform the sender immediately, delete the e mail and any attachment(s) associated.
This email has been scanned by Barracuda - Email Security System.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

image003.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.26 KB
 Viewed:  3188 Time(s)

image003.gif

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.91 KB

image001.jpg

image002.gif
 Description:

image002.gif

ronwasson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

Mag coil going bad. Comes and goes. Scared me silly till I found it. One mag misfiring can affect the motor big time. Friend chased this problem on his 52 for years. He helped me find mine and switch Mags. Sounded like the motor quit it was so bad. Mag fixed it.
On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:52 PM, Dennis Von Ruden wrote:
[quote] st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I took off this evening in my stock CJ and experience a significant reduction in engine power as I was turning crosswind. I didn’t have time to look at all the gauges, but my power did come back to full. Don’t know if cranking on the wobble pump had any effect. My gear was up and I was concentrating on my airspeed and altitude. I realized that rather than land normally, I could land “downwind” on a zero wind evening (5500 foot runway). No other problems.

The engine acted normal while taxiing back to the hangar and during shutdown procedures.

1) Full power came back in flight.
2) Had approximately 24 gallons of fuel. (15 in starboard, 9 in port)
3) Normal run up.
4) Fuel was ON.
5) Primer was locked.
6) Fuel pressure on take-off was in the high green (which has been normal over my 30 hours in this aircraft) on the take-off roll.
7) I have the JPI 700 Analyzer installed and everything looked normal on the take-off roll.
Cool Drained fuel from the sump before flight and it was clean.
9) Remote chance for icing today in Minnesota…79°F and low humidity. The needle was not even close to the yellow on the gauge.
10) Did notice however…that the engine ran a bit rougher between 1200 and1600 RPM during the run up.

Back in the hangar, I drained the fuel screen on the firewall and found nothing. The aircraft was going in for a condition inspection next week. Nothing out of the ordinary. The engine has 35 hours since the first Chinese overhaul and has been running very well since completing the restoration. Any ideas to discuss with my mechanic tomorrow?

<![if !mso]> <![endif]>

<![if !mso]> <![endif]> <![endif]--><image002.gif>Dennis Von Ruden

507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)
dvonruden(at)generalequip.com (dvonruden(at)generalequip.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL, AND/OR ATTACHMENT(S) IS CONFIDENTIAL. If you received this e mail in error, and are not the recipient(s) or responsible for receiving this e mail for the recipient, please inform the sender immediately, delete the e mail and any attachment(s) associated.

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

william(at)netpros.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

Hmmm ... did it sound/feel different than going to one mag while in the air?

At 08:45 PM 9/17/2009, ronald wasson wrote:
[quote]Mag coil going bad. Comes and goes. Scared me silly till I found it. One mag misfiring can affect the motor big time. Friend chased this problem on his 52 for years. He helped me find mine and switch Mags. Sounded like the motor quit it was so bad. Mag fixed it.

Quote:

3) Normal run up.
4) Fuel was ON.
5) Primer was locked.
6) Fuel pressure on take-off was in the high green (which has been normal over my 30 hours in this aircraft) on the take-off roll.
7) I have the JPI 700 Analyzer installed and everything looked normal on the take-off roll.
9) Remote chance for icing today in Minnesota…79°F and low humidity. The needle was not even close to the yellow on the gauge.
10) Did notice however…that the engine ran a bit rougher between 1200 and1600 RPM during the run up.

<image002.gif>Dennis Von Ruden

507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)

[b]

dvonruden(at)generalequip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

Actually, I didn’t have time to do a lot except put a plan together to get it down as fast and safe as possible. When the power came back up, I took the opportunity to change my original plan and land at the airport. Something like this gives you the opportunity to do a little thinking as to the cause. I originally thought it was fuel related, but have changed my mind after cleaning the screen. Everything was very clean. I’m starting to think more ignition.

Thanks

Dennis

<![if !mso]> <![endif]>

<![if !mso]> <![endif]> <![endif]--><![if !vml]>[img]cid:image002.gif(at)01CA3838.3DCF99E0[/img]<![endif]>Dennis Von Ruden

507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)

Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:41 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Engine Problem

Mag coil going bad. Comes and goes. Scared me silly till I found it. One mag misfiring can affect the motor big time. Friend chased this problem on his 52 for years. He helped me find mine and switch Mags. Sounded like the motor quit it was so bad. Mag fixed it.

1)   Full power came back in flight.
3) Normal run up.
4) Fuel was ON.
5) Primer was locked.

507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

image002.gif
 Description:
 Viewed:  3167 Time(s)

image002.gif

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.91 KB
 Viewed:  3167 Time(s)

image001.jpg

ronwasson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

this is not like one mag shutoff. The mag is misfiring and affects the
motor like both mags have a problem. Comes and goes very fast and hard
to prove.

william(at)netpros.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

Understood. The reason I ask is I occasionally run on one mag at altitude so see if there is any roughness I don't sense on my ground run up ... I thought perhaps what you experienced might be similar to what I do on one mag.

At 06:17 AM 9/18/2009, Dennis Von Ruden wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I didn’t have time to do a lot except put a plan together to get it down as fast and safe as possible. When the power came back up, I took the opportunity to change my original plan and land at the airport. Something like this gives you the opportunity to do a little thinking as to the cause. I originally thought it was fuel related, but have changed my mind after cleaning the screen. Everything was very clean. I’m starting to think more ignition.

Thanks

Dennis

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.2.20090918070933.0254e4b8(at)netpros.net.2[/img] Dennis Von Ruden

507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)

From: William Halverson [ mailto:william(at)netpros.net (william(at)netpros.net)]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:41 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Engine Problem

3) Normal run up.
4) Fuel was ON.
5) Primer was locked.

507.451.5510 (P)
507.451.5511 (F)

Quote:
[/b]

Quote:
[/b]

Quote:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List[/b]

Quote:

http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b]

2b6ed7d.gif
 Description:
 Viewed:  3166 Time(s)

2b6ed7d.gif

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Engine Problem Reply with quote

Usually a coil related problem displays itself within the 1st 20-40 minutes of the flight by giving you the sensation the engine completely shuts down for a "heartbeat" and they comes back to life again. It is caused by heat. Tests in a heat chamber with the mag under full operation has proven that a suspect coil will break down when the temperature typically gets above 60 degrees C. A bad coil would not typically give the symptom of a reduction in power, but a complete engine shut down for a "heartbeat". When a coil stops functioning, the first reaction is the engine just died. Then a few milliseconds later, it comes back to life.

Be sure to check all the fuel screens including the one in the back side of the carburetor (item #56, page 149 in the engine manual). If the fuel hoses have been replaced recently, check them to make sure there is no "flapper" inside the hose. Sometimes a "flapper" (small rubber piece which protrudes into the inside of the hose when the fuel is flowing) will restrict the fuel flow. It may lay flat when the hose is open) inside the hose can cause fuel flow restrictions and thus a reduction in power. Should this reduction in power occur again, assuming you have enough altitude to troubleshoot, try reducing the throttle slightly and then advancing it slowly to see if the power comes back. If it does, I would suspect a fuel or carburetor related problem.

Of course, also do the mag check. I realize that is a tough decision to make (to do a mag check) when the engine seems to have lost power. But do try to do it. If it runs smooth on both, 1 and 2 with only an RPM drop when on 1 or 2, then I would not suspect an ignition problem.

Lastly, be sure to check the carburetor input for any possible restriction. Carefully check the input screen/filter to see if something has come loose or broken away and possibly restricting the air flow into the carburetor.

Good luck with this.
Dennis

[quote] ---

image002.gif
 Description:
 Viewed:  3166 Time(s)

image002.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: