Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson Learned - don't order vent tube for bing carb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Lesson Learned - don't order vent tube for bing carb Reply with quote

Aircraft Spruce sent me a little 4-5 inch tube when I ordered the vent tube for my bing carb. I know it looked small in the picture but I thought it was just showing a portion of it. I was expecting a much longer piece that I could put holes in that reaches from one plug to the other (as in the picture), but apparently you have to get some primer line and make your own. I had bought some tubing from the local hardware store but it has gotten soft on the bottom and I wanted to replace it with the "right stuff".

From looking at the pictures of the carbs on the Bing site, that little tube is what is actually used, one on each side, on those carbs. Looks like they tuck it under the float bowl clamp (see second picture attached). Of course that's not how we do it on our planes.

I found some history on the update on the ultralightnews website as to why we don't do it that way:
From http://www.ultralightnews.ca/bing/bingservice.html
Vent tubes
On older model carbs there were two vent tubes, one coming out each side of the unit. The latest carbs have one vent tube connected to the two venting outlets - with breather holes in the center section of the vent tube.

Apparently in the older style of venting system air could enter one vent line and exit the other causing havoc with the float metering system. The new system prevents this giving a more stable fuel supply.

This new style of vent can be made from a piece of primer line and putting two side by side holes in the BOTTOM of the line in the center, these holes are about 30% of the diameter of the primer line. Too small and they will not allow the carb to breath properly.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

upate_venttube.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.83 KB
 Viewed:  2865 Time(s)

upate_venttube.jpg

bing54-carburator.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.3 KB
 Viewed:  2865 Time(s)

bing54-carburator.gif

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lesson Learned - don't order vent tube for bing carb Reply with quote

williamtsullivan(at)att.n wrote:
Cristal- I suggest you get a catalog from Lockwood Aviation in Sebring, Florida. Telephone number is 1-800-527-6829. There catalog has parts breakdowns, torque specs, and all kinds of goodies. Prices are good, service great.

� � � Bill Sullivan
� � � Windsor Locks, Ct.
� � � FS 447

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure Lockwood is good to order from too. I don't blame Aircraft Spruce. That is what they get from the manufacturer. That is what shows in the diagrams to use, and that's what I told them I wanted (ordered it online actually). I love ordering from Spruce. I ordered my stuff from them at 11am Monday and got it by 3pm Tuesday. I've never had any trouble from them. I've not had any trouble returning stuff to them either which is probably what I'll do with these two little plastic tubes unless I find some other use for them.

Just got a call from Bing, they let me know the actual part number I need is 861 940. I went ahead and ordered it from them. I know, some of you listers will say just use something cheaper, but the way things have been going with me, having to fix one thing after another on this carb, I just want to make sure I have all the right parts.

Last night I found the carb that I replaced the clip on also had the old style cup, so I put the new style cup on (that has room for the o-ring on the needle).

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Lesson Learned - don't order vent tube for bing carb Reply with quote

I know, some of you listers will say just use something cheaper, but the
way things have been going with me, having to fix one thing after another on
this carb, I just want to make sure I have all the right parts.
Quote:

> Cristal Waters

Cristal/Gang:

I have to go along with you on this one. If you have a question where a
part will be serviceable and reliable when you are flying, I'll opt for the
more expensive route to insure I am going to stay in the air.

I am spoiled because I don't have to go to work Monday mornings, but for
those like Cristal that work for a living, the little bit of free time you
have you don't want to spend it on the ground fixing stuff when you could be
up there flying.

john h
mkIII
Rock House, Oregon

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: