Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbibb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

In following the thread on the James Plenum and various others with cooling problems I have been thinking about potential alternatives for my RV-10 setup (it’s down the road as I’m just starting main fuselage).

For the aerodynamicists out there: How would a larger intake scoop that had in internal split to feed intake air as well as oil cooler input work IYHO? I’m thinking making the inlet a large affair that has a flow divider to send air into the FI body and a separate path (via flex hose) to the Oil Cooler, This allows the plenum to concentrate on supplying cooling air to the cylinders without having any flow diverted to the oil cooler. Similar to Robin Marks approach shown below but with the input combined into one input “hole” in the cowling.

As an electrical engineer I should know better than to delve into the world of fluid dynamics but I figure that is what the “experimental” designation is all about.

Richard Bibb
972-771-2598
972-835-5979 mobile

Note: Ram Oil Cooler inlet just below Pilots Side Inlet

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01CA4004.0FC66EB0[/img]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.99 KB
 Viewed:  14031 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

Caution, my current aircraft has an oil cooler mounted on the lower cowling, not much lower than where Robin's inlet is located. Unfortunately, the manufacturer did no testing of that location, and in a climb it is enough of a low pressure area that flow can actually reverse, passing from cylinder bottoms out the oil cooler. Not good, and most every example I know of runs 210-215 oil temps. The only solution is for my aircraft is to relocate the oil cooler to the rear top of the engine baffling. I suppose what really needs examining is whether the engine air outlet is large enough or could benefit from cowl flaps. It is unfortunate that the prototypes didn't get any testing in AZ or TX to optimize engine cooling.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Richard Bibb <rbibb(at)tomet.net (rbibb(at)tomet.net)> wrote:
[quote]
In following the thread on the James Plenum and various others with cooling problems I have been thinking about potential alternatives for my RV-10 setup (it’s down the road as I’m just starting main fuselage).

For the aerodynamicists out there:  How would a larger intake scoop that had in internal split to feed intake air as well as oil cooler input work IYHO?  I’m thinking making the inlet a large affair that has a flow divider to send air into the FI body and a separate path (via flex hose) to the Oil Cooler,  This allows the plenum to concentrate on supplying cooling air to the cylinders without having any flow diverted to the oil cooler.  Similar to Robin Marks approach shown below but
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I have been considering the same problem on the -10 I'm building. So C every airshow I go to I look to see what other manufacturers have done. My favorite is the Navion that used a NACA duct plumbed down to the oil cooler. It came off the right side of the cowling.  Simple and elegant. Date: Mon C 28 Sep 2009 08:41:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

Caution C my current aircraft has an oil cooler mounted on the lower cowling C not much lower than where Robin's inlet is located. Unfortunately C the manufacturer did no testing of that location C and in a climb it is enough of a low pressure area that flow can actually reverse C passing from cylinder bottoms out the oil cooler. Not good C and most every example I know of runs 210-215 oil temps. The only solution is for my aircraft is to relocate the oil cooler to the rear top of the engine baffling. I suppose what really needs examining is whether the engine air outlet is large enough or could benefit from cowl flaps. It is unfortunate that the prototypes didn't get any testing in AZ or TX to optimize engine cooling.
On Mon C Sep 28 C 2009 at 7:23 AM C Richard Bibb <rbibb(at)tomet.net (rbibb(at)tomet.net)> wrote:
Quote:

For the aerodynamicists out there:  How would a larger intake scoop that had in internal split to feed intake air as well as oil cooler input work IYHO?  I’m thinking making the inlet a large affair that has a flow divider to send air into the FI body and a separate path (via flex hose) to the Oil Cooler C  This allows the plenum to concentrate on supplying cooling air to the cylinders without having any flow diverted to the oil cooler.  Similar to Robin Marks approach shown below but

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how. [quote][b]

rbibb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

Well I wasn’t thinking of mounting the oil cooler on the cowl just deriving the source of air for the cooler (mounting in stock location but perhaps modified mount to reflect change in air source geometry) from a combined induction/oil cooler inlet. The idea is to eliminate the source of air for the oil cooer from the rear of the baffles (whether inside a plenum or not) as to increase cooling air for the cylinders. That creates the problem of creating an air source for the cooler. Rather than create a separate inlet I was thinking of creating a larger “mouth” on the below-cowl scoop for the induction and creating some sort of flow divider to send some air to the inlet and some to the cooler.

Not being educated in fluid dynamics I’m looking for general guidelines as to an efficient method of engineering such an inlet/splitter combo.

Thanks for the warning…..

Richard Bibb
972-771-2598
972-835-5979 mobile

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 7:42 AM

Caution, my current aircraft has an oil cooler mounted on the lower cowling, not much lower than where Robin's inlet is located. Unfortunately, the manufacturer did no testing of that location, and in a climb it is enough of a low pressure area that flow can actually reverse, passing from cylinder bottoms out the oil cooler. Not good, and most every example I know of runs 210-215 oil temps. The only solution is for my aircraft is to relocate the oil cooler to the rear top of the engine baffling. I suppose what really needs examining is whether the engine air outlet is large enough or could benefit from cowl flaps. It is unfortunate that the prototypes didn't get any testing in AZ or TX to optimize engine cooling.
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Richard Bibb <rbibb(at)tomet.net (rbibb(at)tomet.net)> wrote:

For the aerodynamicists out there: How would a larger intake scoop that had in internal split to feed intake air as well as oil cooler input work IYHO? I’m thinking making the inlet a large affair that has a flow divider to send air into the FI body and a separate path (via flex hose) to the Oil Cooler, This allows the plenum to concentrate on supplying cooling air to the cylinders without having any flow diverted to the oil cooler. Similar to Robin Marks approach shown below but

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

Like you, my background is in electronics, so my comments may not help!
I don't think the problem is in robbing the available air from the
cylinders, it's finding a balance in the area of entrance air Vs exit
air, and finding a less-obstructed path for the air. Lopresti was an
expert at it, and his son is carrying on the effort. Look at the size
of the holes in some 'certificated' cowls Vs the Swift Fury or the
Lancair. I'll go the plenum route ..... cowl seals leak ..... and I'll
use a manometer to try and balance the pressures. Providing for good
exit flows seem to help a lot.
Linn
Richard Bibb wrote:
Quote:
Well I wasn’t thinking of mounting the oil cooler on the cowl just
deriving the source of air for the cooler (mounting in stock location
but perhaps modified mount to reflect change in air source geometry)
from a combined induction/oil cooler inlet. The idea is to eliminate
the source of air for the oil cooer from the rear of the baffles
(whether inside a plenum or not) as to increase cooling air for the
cylinders. That creates the problem of creating an air source for the
cooler. Rather than create a separate inlet I was thinking of creating
a larger “mouth” on the below-cowl scoop for the induction and creating
some sort of flow divider to send some air to the inlet and some to the
cooler.

Not being educated in fluid dynamics I’m looking for general guidelines
as to an efficient method of engineering such an inlet/splitter combo.

Richard Bibb

972-771-2598

972-835-5979 mobile

rbibb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

My thought was it would be easier to balance the flow if you didn't have a
big 3" round exit on one side of the engine. But I'm waiting for the
aerodynamicists to weigh in here...

Richard Bibb
972-771-2598
972-835-5979 mobile

--

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

The Navion had the oil cooler mounted on the firewall but the NACA duct was on the cowl side with SCAT tube running back about 24" to the oil cooler and ducting downward. There has been demonstrated to be very little air entering the front of the cowl behind the prop in a lot of the angles of flight. The sides alway pretty much has air passing over them.

Subject: RE: RV10-List: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested
Date: Mon C 28 Sep 2009 08:57:21 -0500

.ExternalClass .ecxshape {;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal C .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal C .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoBodyText C .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoBodyText C .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoBodyText {margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:6.0pt;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link C .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited C .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoAutoSig C .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoAutoSig C .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoAutoSig {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass p.ecxItemHeading C .ExternalClass li.ecxItemHeading C .ExternalClass div.ecxItemHeading {margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:6.0pt;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';font-weight:bold;} .ExternalClass p.ecxStyleBodyTextLeft05 C .ExternalClass li.ecxStyleBodyTextLeft05 C .ExternalClass div.ecxStyleBodyTextLeft05 {margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:24.0pt;margin-left:.5in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle22 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxSection1 {page:Section1;}
Well I wasn’t thinking of mounting the oil cooler on the cowl just deriving the source of air for the cooler (mounting in stock location but perhaps modified mount to reflect change in air source geometry) from a combined induction/oil cooler inlet.  The idea is to eliminate the source of air for the oil cooer from the rear of the baffles (whether inside a plenum or not) as to increase cooling air for the cylinders.  That creates the problem of creating an air source for the cooler.  Rather than create a separate inlet I was thinking of creating a larger “mouth”  on the below-cowl scoop for the induction and creating some sort of flow divider to send some air to the inlet and some to the cooler. 

Not being educated in fluid dynamics I’m looking for general guidelines as to an efficient method of engineering such an inlet/splitter combo.

Richard Bibb
972-771-2598
972-835-5979 mobile

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Monday C September 28 C 2009 7:42 AM

Caution C my current aircraft has an oil cooler mounted on the lower cowling C not much lower than where Robin's inlet is located. Unfortunately C the manufacturer did no testing of that location C and in a climb it is enough of a low pressure area that flow can actually reverse C passing from cylinder bottoms out the oil cooler. Not good C and most every example I know of runs 210-215 oil temps. The only solution is for my aircraft is to relocate the oil cooler to the rear top of the engine baffling. I suppose what really needs examining is whether the engine air outlet is large enough or could benefit from cowl flaps. It is unfortunate that the prototypes didn't get any testing in AZ or TX to optimize engine cooling.
On Mon C Sep 28 C 2009 at 7:23 AM C Richard Bibb <rbibb(at)tomet.net (rbibb(at)tomet.net)> wrote: In following the thread on the James Plenum and various others with cooling problems I have been thinking about potential alternatives for my RV-10 setup (it’s down the road as I’m just starting main fuselage).

For the aerodynamicists out there:  How would a larger intake scoop that had in internal split to feed intake air as well as oil cooler input work IYHO?  I’m thinking making the inlet a large affair that has a flow divider to send air into the FI body and a separate path (via flex hose) to the Oil Cooler C  This allows the plenum to concentrate on supplying cooling air to the cylinders without having any flow diverted to the oil cooler.  Similar to Robin Marks approach shown below but

Quote:
  http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3 Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don’t worry about storage limits. Check it out. [quote][b]

AV8ORJWC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

Exit flows. Delta P seems to be the most productive area of pursuit.
Get the low pressure lower cowl more efficient at extraction - both the
plenum air and the exhaust gases.

John Cox - a LoPresti follower and fan of Fred Moreno's reports.

--

Nick Leonard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

This is an interesting discussion. I have a friend (Bob Cole) with an RV-6 that has done some extensive modifications to his cowling and I plan to follow in his footsteps. Let me tell you a little about Bob. He couldn't get the performance that he expected from the Katto prop he had made so he learned about prop design and manufacturing and made his own. He is on his fourth 'tweak' (prop) and has it just about what he considers perfect. He decided to build his own exhaust system so he learned about designing balanced flow exhaust systems and made his own. He has since made several further modifications to further improve the performance and keeps working on the next knot of speed, degree of cooling, etc. In each case he gets a base line measurement of performance before he makes his changes (they don't all make it better).

So about improving cooling. Bob's approach has been to use an airspeed indicator to measure the change in the differential air pressure before and after any airflow modifications. He simply runs the indicator tubes to the front and back of the testing area, gets a baseline and checks again after the change. Like many others, he found that reducing the air inlet area on the cowling improved the air flow through the cowling. Something about air being damned up in that area when the opening is too large, which is typical of the Van's design. He also worked on getting the air out more effectively with a ramp on the back of the cowl. One of the things that made a big difference for him was to pay special attention on making sure that the seal to the engine baffling was 100% effective (no leaks). It is the simple things that can make the biggest difference.

I saw how much information you can get from the measurement of the differential pressure (air speed indicator) throughout the engine area that I installed a small device from Honeywell (sourced from Allied Electronics) that will allow me to electronically do what Bob has done without having to run the tubes through the firewall (2-wires). I expect to make various modification to the -10 for cooling efficiency, etc. (not flying yet).

The bottom line to this conversation is that getting more air into the cowling is often more of a problem than a solution. Also, get a good baseline measurement before you make any changes. And also to thank the Bob's of the world for their curiosity, intelligence, gumption and incredible talent.

AV8ORJWC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

High angles of attack coupled with higher ambient temperatures certainly would have skewed the design results. Being in the Northern climate and cooler temperature your idea holds strong merit. Too bad a great design could not be reconsidered by the Parts Manufacturer.

Much of the trailblazing is being done by the great group of "Early Adapters" south of the Oregon border.

John - Aurora, OR

Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 5:42 AM

For the aerodynamicists out there: How would a larger intake scoop that had in internal split to feed intake air as well as oil cooler input work IYHO? I’m thinking making the inlet a large affair that has a flow divider to send air into the FI body and a separate path (via flex hose) to the Oil Cooler, This allows the plenum to concentrate on supplying cooling air to the cylinders without having any flow diverted to the oil cooler. Similar to Robin Marks approach shown below but

[quote] [/b][/b][/b][/b][b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List[b][/b][b]http://forums.matronics.com[b][/b]http://www.matronics.com/contribution [b]

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I'll venture into the oil cooler mount/high temp waters with some thoughts:
1. There was a good article a few months back in one of the kit magazines
on cooling air flow into the engine. The bottom line is once the top of the
cowl (or plenum) is pressurized, the cylinder airflow (lbm/hr) is fairly
uniform. My take from this is the air coming off the back for the oil
cooler does not affect one side more than the other.
2. This article also discussed the relatively high pressure area at the
front top of the cowl caused by air bouncing off the rear baffle. The
lesson learned is make sure the front cowl seal is in good shape.
3. The third take away from the article is huge gain received from
smoothing the cowl air inlet passages. For the James cowl this is done by
design. For the Van's cowl this is done by adding the top cowl inlet ramps.
4. While the standard Van's mount has clear advantage for installation
ease, I can't see how multiple redirections of air flow can go any good. I
am not using this standard oil cooler mount in my project.
5. Talking with others, I get the impression that the mid/aft cowl region
is a relatively high pressure area. This would contribute to a lower
differential pressure across the oil cooler (in the standard mount) and thus
lower air flow.
6. The other heat problem I see are the cabin heat valves. As they are
shut on hot days, the more than ample heat muff hot air bounces off the
closed valves directly toward the fuel pump. In addition to heating the
wrong component, I would guess this additional air pressure in the aft mid
cowl region contributes to the less than adequate differential pressure
across the oil cooler in the standard mount.

What I'm doing:
1. Using the James Cowl and plenum
2. Mounting the oil cooler aft of the rear baffle with a direct connection
for air flow.
3. Mounted Cool Mat between the cabin heat valves and over the top and
front of the valves. The objective is to isolate radiant heat from the
firewall and tunnel and redirect the unused hot air down toward the bottom
of the cowl.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (500 hrs)
RV-10 (fuselage make it pretty fiberglass work)

--

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

"I installed a small device from Honeywell (sourced from Allied Electronics) that will allow me to electronically"......could you be a bit more specific about this device. Sounds like something I need to look at. Very interesting discussion! Dan 

Quote:
Date: Mon C 28 Sep 2009 09:23:36 -0700

--> RV10-List message posted by: "Nick Leonard" <nick(at)nleonard.com>

This is an interesting discussion. I have a friend (Bob Cole) with an RV-6 that has done some extensive modifications to his cowling and I plan to follow in his footsteps. Let me tell you a little about Bob. He couldn't get the performance that he expected from the Katto prop he had made so he learned about prop design and manufacturing and made his own. He is on his fourth 'tweak' (prop) and has it just about what he considers perfect. He decided to build his own exhaust system so he learned about designing balanced flow exhaust systems and made his own. He has since made several further modifications to further improve the performance and keeps working on the next knot of speed C degree of cooling C etc. In each case he gets a base line measurement of performance before he makes his changes (they don't all make it better).

So about improving cooling. Bob's approach has been to use an airspeed indicator to measure the change in the differential air pressure before and after any airflow modifications. He simply runs the indicator tubes to the front and back of the testing area C gets a baseline and checks again after the change. Like many others C he found that reducing the air inlet area on the cowling improved the air flow through the cowling. Something about air being damned up in that area when the opening is too large C which is typical of the Van's design. He also worked on getting the air out more effectively with a ramp on the back of the cowl. One of the things that made a big difference for him was to pay special attention on making sure that the seal to the engine baffling was 100% effective (no leaks). It is the simple things that can make the biggest difference.

I saw how much information you can get from the measurement of the differential pressure (air speed indicator) throughout the engine area that I installed a small device from Honeywell (sourced from Allied Electronics) that will allow me to electronically do what Bob has done without having to run the tubes through the firewall (2-wires). I expect to make various modification to the -10 for cooling efficiency C etc. (not flying yet).

The bottom line to this conversation is that getting more air into the cowling is often more of a problem than a solution. Also C get a good baseline measurement before you make any changes. And also to thank the Bob's of the world for their curiosity C intelligence C gumption and incredible talent.

--------
Nick Leonard
RV-10 (40015) Finish

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=265331#265331

= Archive Search & Download C 7-Day Browse C Chat C FAQ C
&g===

[quote]

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now
Quote:
[b]

Deems Davis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

This is a familiar topic. Wink I have the James cowl/Plenum,
Live in AZ and have to deal with heat issues (Today's high will reach
107!). I have been through several machinations in an attempt to deal
with heat. Ton's of louvers on bottom of cowl, increasing the lower cowl
exit area 5-10%. Plenum rework, baffle sealing. I still have the oil
cooler mounted in the stock (Van's) location. My current temps are
'manageable'. Everything is linked directly to OAT, the cooler the
better. With OAT of approx 90-95, On Take Off, I will see Oil temps
climb to 210-215 if I keep airspeed up to 120-130 kts. Hottest cyls CHT
seem to peak (at) 400-405. At altitude oil temps come back to 195 and CHT
to 360-380. On our trip back east (ie. cooler temps) we saw oil temps
175-185. I consider my temperatures on the high side, but am worried
about overreacting until I get some more experience in some lower
temperatures.
One approach I have considered is relocating the oil cooler to behind
the baffle (#6 likely). Initially I didn't think there was enough room,
however I saw an installation on an F1 Rocket
http://www.pflanzer-aviation.com/Engine9.html which got me thinking, I
borrowed an unmounted oil cooler and did a loose test fit and I think it
could be made to work.

Deems Davis
www.deemsrv10.com
N519PJ

Carl Froehlich wrote:
[quote]

I'll venture into the oil cooler mount/high temp waters with some thoughts:
1. There was a good article a few months back in one of the kit magazines
on cooling air flow into the engine. The bottom line is once the top of the
cowl (or plenum) is pressurized, the cylinder airflow (lbm/hr) is fairly
uniform. My take from this is the air coming off the back for the oil
cooler does not affect one side more than the other.
2. This article also discussed the relatively high pressure area at the
front top of the cowl caused by air bouncing off the rear baffle. The
lesson learned is make sure the front cowl seal is in good shape.
3. The third take away from the article is huge gain received from
smoothing the cowl air inlet passages. For the James cowl this is done by
design. For the Van's cowl this is done by adding the top cowl inlet ramps.
4. While the standard Van's mount has clear advantage for installation
ease, I can't see how multiple redirections of air flow can go any good. I
am not using this standard oil cooler mount in my project.
5. Talking with others, I get the impression that the mid/aft cowl region
is a relatively high pressure area. This would contribute to a lower
differential pressure across the oil cooler (in the standard mount) and thus
lower air flow.
6. The other heat problem I see are the cabin heat valves. As they are
shut on hot days, the more than ample heat muff hot air bounces off the
closed valves directly toward the fuel pump. In addition to heating the
wrong component, I would guess this additional air pressure in the aft mid
cowl region contributes to the less than adequate differential pressure
across the oil cooler in the standard mount.

What I'm doing:
1. Using the James Cowl and plenum
2. Mounting the oil cooler aft of the rear baffle with a direct connection
for air flow.
3. Mounted Cool Mat between the cabin heat valves and over the top and
front of the valves. The objective is to isolate radiant heat from the
firewall and tunnel and redirect the unused hot air down toward the bottom
of the cowl.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (500 hrs)
RV-10 (fuselage make it pretty fiberglass work)

--

bwestfall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I've often wondered if a more direct route to the airflow would help the oil
cooler. Would this location give enough room for "exhausting" the hot air?
I wonder what it would do pressure wise for air behind the baffling?

I sure wish somebody would figure this out Smile.

Ben Westfall
Portland, OR
--

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I've been interested in the oil cooler thread ...... because I'll be
there someday! One other poster measured the pressures across the
cooler, but I couldn't find it .... anyway my thoughts were a plenum on
the output side to deflect the air towards the lower cowl outlet .... or
a dedicated louver ..... instead of just letting it blow into the
pressurized lower cowl.
Linn
do not archive
Deems Davis wrote:
[quote]

This is a familiar topic. Wink I have the James cowl/Plenum,
Live in AZ and have to deal with heat issues (Today's high will reach
107!). I have been through several machinations in an attempt to deal
with heat. Ton's of louvers on bottom of cowl, increasing the lower cowl
exit area 5-10%. Plenum rework, baffle sealing. I still have the oil
cooler mounted in the stock (Van's) location. My current temps are
'manageable'. Everything is linked directly to OAT, the cooler the
better. With OAT of approx 90-95, On Take Off, I will see Oil temps
climb to 210-215 if I keep airspeed up to 120-130 kts. Hottest cyls CHT
seem to peak (at) 400-405. At altitude oil temps come back to 195 and CHT
to 360-380. On our trip back east (ie. cooler temps) we saw oil temps
175-185. I consider my temperatures on the high side, but am worried
about overreacting until I get some more experience in some lower
temperatures.
One approach I have considered is relocating the oil cooler to behind
the baffle (#6 likely). Initially I didn't think there was enough room,
however I saw an installation on an F1 Rocket
http://www.pflanzer-aviation.com/Engine9.html which got me thinking, I
borrowed an unmounted oil cooler and did a loose test fit and I think it
could be made to work.

Deems Davis
www.deemsrv10.com
N519PJ

Carl Froehlich wrote:
>
> <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net>
>
> I'll venture into the oil cooler mount/high temp waters with some
> thoughts:
> 1. There was a good article a few months back in one of the kit
> magazines
> on cooling air flow into the engine. The bottom line is once the top
> of the
> cowl (or plenum) is pressurized, the cylinder airflow (lbm/hr) is fairly
> uniform. My take from this is the air coming off the back for the oil
> cooler does not affect one side more than the other.
> 2. This article also discussed the relatively high pressure area at the
> front top of the cowl caused by air bouncing off the rear baffle. The
> lesson learned is make sure the front cowl seal is in good shape.
> 3. The third take away from the article is huge gain received from
> smoothing the cowl air inlet passages. For the James cowl this is
> done by
> design. For the Van's cowl this is done by adding the top cowl inlet
> ramps.
> 4. While the standard Van's mount has clear advantage for installation
> ease, I can't see how multiple redirections of air flow can go any
> good. I
> am not using this standard oil cooler mount in my project.
> 5. Talking with others, I get the impression that the mid/aft cowl
> region
> is a relatively high pressure area. This would contribute to a lower
> differential pressure across the oil cooler (in the standard mount)
> and thus
> lower air flow.
> 6. The other heat problem I see are the cabin heat valves. As they are
> shut on hot days, the more than ample heat muff hot air bounces off the
> closed valves directly toward the fuel pump. In addition to heating the
> wrong component, I would guess this additional air pressure in the aft
> mid
> cowl region contributes to the less than adequate differential pressure
> across the oil cooler in the standard mount.
> What I'm doing:
> 1. Using the James Cowl and plenum
> 2. Mounting the oil cooler aft of the rear baffle with a direct
> connection
> for air flow. 3. Mounted Cool Mat between the cabin heat valves and
> over the top and
> front of the valves. The objective is to isolate radiant heat from the
> firewall and tunnel and redirect the unused hot air down toward the
> bottom
> of the cowl.
>
> Carl Froehlich
> RV-8A (500 hrs)
> RV-10 (fuselage make it pretty fiberglass work)
>
> --

Deems Davis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I tried that. ........didn't help
http://deemsrv10.com/album/Phase1/slides/DSC07522.html

Deems

Linn Walters wrote:
[quote]

I've been interested in the oil cooler thread ...... because I'll be
there someday! One other poster measured the pressures across the
cooler, but I couldn't find it .... anyway my thoughts were a plenum
on the output side to deflect the air towards the lower cowl outlet
.... or a dedicated louver ..... instead of just letting it blow
into the pressurized lower cowl.
Linn
do not archive
Deems Davis wrote:
>
>
> This is a familiar topic. Wink I have the James
> cowl/Plenum, Live in AZ and have to deal with heat issues (Today's
> high will reach 107!). I have been through several machinations in an
> attempt to deal with heat. Ton's of louvers on bottom of cowl,
> increasing the lower cowl exit area 5-10%. Plenum rework, baffle
> sealing. I still have the oil cooler mounted in the stock (Van's)
> location. My current temps are 'manageable'. Everything is linked
> directly to OAT, the cooler the better. With OAT of approx 90-95, On
> Take Off, I will see Oil temps climb to 210-215 if I keep airspeed up
> to 120-130 kts. Hottest cyls CHT seem to peak (at) 400-405. At altitude
> oil temps come back to 195 and CHT to 360-380. On our trip back east
> (ie. cooler temps) we saw oil temps 175-185. I consider my
> temperatures on the high side, but am worried about overreacting
> until I get some more experience in some lower temperatures.
> One approach I have considered is relocating the oil cooler to behind
> the baffle (#6 likely). Initially I didn't think there was enough
> room, however I saw an installation on an F1 Rocket
> http://www.pflanzer-aviation.com/Engine9.html which got me thinking,
> I borrowed an unmounted oil cooler and did a loose test fit and I
> think it could be made to work.
>
> Deems Davis
> www.deemsrv10.com
> N519PJ
>
> Carl Froehlich wrote:
>>
>> <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net>
>>
>> I'll venture into the oil cooler mount/high temp waters with some
>> thoughts:
>> 1. There was a good article a few months back in one of the kit
>> magazines
>> on cooling air flow into the engine. The bottom line is once the
>> top of the
>> cowl (or plenum) is pressurized, the cylinder airflow (lbm/hr) is
>> fairly
>> uniform. My take from this is the air coming off the back for the oil
>> cooler does not affect one side more than the other.
>> 2. This article also discussed the relatively high pressure area at
>> the
>> front top of the cowl caused by air bouncing off the rear baffle. The
>> lesson learned is make sure the front cowl seal is in good shape.
>> 3. The third take away from the article is huge gain received from
>> smoothing the cowl air inlet passages. For the James cowl this is
>> done by
>> design. For the Van's cowl this is done by adding the top cowl
>> inlet ramps.
>> 4. While the standard Van's mount has clear advantage for installation
>> ease, I can't see how multiple redirections of air flow can go any
>> good. I
>> am not using this standard oil cooler mount in my project.
>> 5. Talking with others, I get the impression that the mid/aft cowl
>> region
>> is a relatively high pressure area. This would contribute to a lower
>> differential pressure across the oil cooler (in the standard mount)
>> and thus
>> lower air flow.
>> 6. The other heat problem I see are the cabin heat valves. As they
>> are
>> shut on hot days, the more than ample heat muff hot air bounces off the
>> closed valves directly toward the fuel pump. In addition to heating
>> the
>> wrong component, I would guess this additional air pressure in the
>> aft mid
>> cowl region contributes to the less than adequate differential pressure
>> across the oil cooler in the standard mount. What I'm doing:
>> 1. Using the James Cowl and plenum
>> 2. Mounting the oil cooler aft of the rear baffle with a direct
>> connection
>> for air flow. 3. Mounted Cool Mat between the cabin heat valves and
>> over the top and
>> front of the valves. The objective is to isolate radiant heat from the
>> firewall and tunnel and redirect the unused hot air down toward the
>> bottom
>> of the cowl.
>>
>> Carl Froehlich
>> RV-8A (500 hrs)
>> RV-10 (fuselage make it pretty fiberglass work)
>>
>> --

Nick Leonard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

[quote="jdriggs49(at)msn.com"]"I installed a small device from Honeywell (sourced from Allied Electronics) that will allow me to electronically"......could you be a bit more specific about this device. Sounds like something I need to look at. Very interesting discussion! Dan�

Dan,

The device is the Honeywell DCXL30DS. Here is the spec sheet from Allied..
https://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/HONEYWELL_SENSYM_ICT/643-0213.PDF
I plan on capturing the data with a simple USB data logger such as the EL-USB-3 which will provide a time stamp that I hope to link with the glass panel (AFS 4500) flight log info.
http://www.dataq.com/support/documentation/pdf/datasheets/el-data-logger.pdf
When I need to measure the effectiveness of anything (air inlet openings, outlets, oil cooler, etc) I will connect the tubes to the unit and the logger at the other end. Any changes I make should be easily measured with this set up. I could carry a small PC and see the results in real time.

Nick�
Quote:
Date: Mon C 28 Sep 2009 09:23:36 -0700

--> RV10-List message posted by: "Nick Leonard" <nick>

This is an interesting discussion. I have a friend (Bob Cole) with an RV-6 that has done some extensive modifications to his cowling and I plan to follow in his footsteps. Let me tell you a little about Bob. He couldn't get the performance that he expected from the Katto prop he had made so he learned about prop design and manufacturing and made his own. He is on his fourth 'tweak' (prop) and has it just about what he considers perfect. He decided to build his own exhaust system so he learned about designing balanced flow exhaust systems and made his own. He has since made several further modifications to further improve the performance and keeps working on the next knot of speed C degree of cooling C etc. In each case he gets a base line measurement of performance before he makes his changes (they don't all make it better).

So about improving cooling. Bob's approach has been to use an airspeed indicator to measure the change in the differential air pressure before and after any airflow modifications. He simply runs the indicator tubes to the front and back of the testing area C gets a baseline and checks again after the change. Like many others C he found that reducing the air inlet area on the cowling improved the air flow through the cowling. Something about air being damned up in that area when the opening is too large C which is typical of the Van's design. He also worked on getting the air out more effectively with a ramp on the back of the cowl. One of the things that made a big difference for him was to pay special attention on making sure that the seal to the engine baffling was 100% effective (no leaks). It is the simple things that can make the biggest difference.

I saw how much information you can get from the measurement of the differential pressure (air speed indicator) throughout the engine area that I installed a small device from Honeywell (sourced from Allied Electronics) that will allow me to electronically do what Bob has done without having to run the tubes through the firewall (2-wires). I expect to make various modification to the -10 for cooling efficiency C etc. (not flying yet).

The bottom line to this conversation is that getting more air into the cowling is often more of a problem than a solution. Also C get a good baseline measurement before you make any changes. And also to thank the Bob's of the world for their curiosity C intelligence C gumption and incredible talent.

--------
Nick Leonard
RV-10 (40015) Finish

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=265331#265331

= Archive Search & Download C 7-Day Browse C Chat C FAQ C
&g===

Quote:

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing� now
Quote:
[b]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I was thinking more enclosed. If the pressure differential isn't great,
exhausting the oil cooler air into the lower cowl just won't have much
air flow. I'm having trouble putting my 'concept' into words! If you
have a plenum over the engine .... with no leaks around the engine .....
all the air coming into the plenum exhausts into the lower cowl. The
pressure differential is the drop across the engine. believe that if
the pressure difference is zero, you have the lowest cooling drag .....
what goes in goes out easily. With the oil cooler fed from the plenum,
and no pressure drop across the engine, then there is no air flow
through the cooler. Ducting the entire oil cooler air into the ramp
next to the opening should have some venturi effect and increase the
negative pressure on the hot air. Does this make any sense??? Have I
gone off into another reality here????
Linn
do not archive

Quote:

I tried that. ........didn't help
http://deemsrv10.com/album/Phase1/slides/DSC07522.html

Deems

Linn Walters wrote:
>
>
> I've been interested in the oil cooler thread ...... because I'll be
> there someday! One other poster measured the pressures across the
> cooler, but I couldn't find it .... anyway my thoughts were a plenum
> on the output side to deflect the air towards the lower cowl outlet
> .... or a dedicated louver ..... instead of just letting it blow
> into the pressurized lower cowl.
> Linn
> do not archive
> Deems Davis wrote:
>>

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

I'm using an MPX5050DP in my speed sensitive trim controller and it appears to be working fine, although not flight tested yet. It's cheaper at $10.34. I read it with an arduino.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Freescale-Semiconductor/MPX5050DP/?qs=r8OyiFxb6RdEZ0vCbPdH8w%3d%3d

Since the arduino has plenty of analog ports, i was thinking to hook up a few of these sensors and get DP readings from multiple locations at the same time.

Lenny

speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Ram Air Oil Cooler Inlet - input requested Reply with quote

In reality there is a pressure differential from the top of the cylinders to
the bottom. Lycoming recommends I think 6" in order to achieve proper
cooling. I don't know of we are seeing that in the 10. More things to
check out.

Gary Specketer

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: