Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powerglider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

My girlfriend just bought a Kolb Mark 3, she has some previous cesna experience but needs instruction on her new plane as it's been a while (late 1980's).

Any instructors out there with Kolb 2 seat experience that don't have a plane that want to teach her on her plane?

Located in Mediapolis, Iowa, 52637, close to Burlington.

Her other choice so far is to take lessons on a cesna again.

We can bring the plane to your favorite runway (hope it's not too far) and take lessons from there. Or if you inspect our own field and it's appropriate you would be welcome to teach here.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

I got my Sport Pilots license in a J3 and I feel this was a great airplane to transition to a MKIII from. If your girlfriend can find some kind of light tail dragger and learn to wheel land it, I believe her airplane will have a much better chance of surviving her first few hours unscathed.

My $.02 worth

Jason
MKIII, Yamaha Powered
Portland, OR

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

> I got my Sport Pilots license in a J3 and I feel this was a great
airplane to transition to a MKIII from. If your girlfriend can find some
kind of light tail dragger and learn to wheel land it, I believe her
airplane will have a much better chance of surviving her first few hours
unscathed.
Quote:

My $.02 worth

Jason

Jason/Gang:

I try to get a few inches off the ground before I let the airspeed get below
stall speed when landing.

If I get below stall speed at altitudes more than a few inches, it will
stall and fall, whether one foot or 10 feet. My mkIII won't survive a stall
from 20 feet, for sure.

Worth what you paid for it.

john h
mkIII
Marysvale, Utah

Titus, Alabama
Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

Quote:

Jason/Gang:

I try to get a few inches off the ground before I let the airspeed get below
stall speed when landing.

If I get below stall speed at altitudes more than a few inches, it will
stall and fall, whether one foot or 10 feet. My mkIII won't survive a stall
from 20 feet, for sure.

Worth what you paid for it.

john h
mkIII
Marysvale, Utah[/quote][/quote]

Powerglider,
I dont believe what John said should be substituted for training, or will help you find training for your girlfriends transition to her MKIII, but it couldent hurt to suggest to her not to stall her MKIII 20 feet above the runway.

Jason
MKIII, Yamaha Powered
Portland, OR

powerglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

thank you for the replies.

My girlfriend found an instructor not too far away in Muscatine Iowa. He flies another tail dragger and will be getting familiar with her Kolb, then provide the instruction on her Kolb as long as he feels comfortable with that first which makes sense.

powerglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the runways we need to start preparing for.

I'm hoping 2 runways, 1 north/south, 1 east/west both 500 feet long and 60 feet wide would be enough for a reasonable safety margin, is it?

No obstructions, 1 year corn stalks, 1 year soy beans around the runways, overrun would be the corn of the beans (nothing else to hit).

since the width is narrow, how can a pilot best keep the plane in the middle with a visual marker of some kind? a tall pole in the center at the end of the runway wouldn't work because it's an extra obstacle to clear, how to you mark the grass with a center line that is effective but environmentally friendly and offers excellent visibility?

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

Why put so many things in the first lessons. Find a nice long runway and take that part out of the equation until she's familiar and comfortable in the plane, then tackle short grass fields and visualization skills. I fly all over Kansas and I've never seen a grass strip with any sort of marking, other than lights along the edge and that's rare. MHO.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:07 AM, powerglider <francesco(at)powerglider.biz (francesco(at)powerglider.biz)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "powerglider" <francesco(at)powerglider.biz (francesco(at)powerglider.biz)>

I'm thinking about the runways we need to start preparing for.

I'm hoping 2 runways, 1 north/south, 1 east/west both 500 feet long and 60 feet wide would be enough for a reasonable safety margin, is it?

No obstructions, 1 year corn stalks, 1 year soy beans around the runways, overrun would be the corn of the beans (nothing else to hit).

since the width is narrow, how can a pilot best keep the plane in the middle with a visual marker of some kind? a tall pole in the center at the end of the runway wouldn't work because it's an extra obstacle to clear, how to you mark the grass with a center line that is effective but environmentally friendly and offers excellent visibility?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=269058#269058

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

powerglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

OK, didn't explain right the first time.

She's taking lessons on another field and probably will fly out of a longer field in 2010 as well. I agree 100%, go for a nice long field for at least 1 season, then as many more as it takes to feel comfortable.

I'm starting the field now since I thought it would take at least 1 full season and probably 2 to make the runways flat enough and the grass at least reasonable. Right now it's left over soy bean field. Next year it will be corn so I would rather begin the runways this year since it's starting fairly flat to begin with.

Just wondering if 500 feet will be enough after 1 season of flying? 600 feet by 60 feet is 1 acre, just trying to not take away any acreage from a good producing black Iowa soil, but safety will be more important than an extra acre or two of corn, Iowa won't miss 120 bushels or so of corn too much.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

PowerGlider,

One thing to watch out for when flying the Kolb is that is looses speed MUCH faster than any other plane you have ever flown when you pull the power. Most people that have GA experience start to pull the power at 50 feet or so, and expect the plane to keep flying. If you do this on approach, you will not believe how fast you will stall and crash. The Kolb is pretty easy to fly, but this is the one mistake every new pilot to this type of plane makes. Also, power off glide is very bad, be prepared to point the nose WAY down when you do pull the power off, its nothing like just lowering the nose in a Cessna or piper. Take the time to get training in your Kolb , if you wreck your plane due to lack of training, you wont be flying anyways, so just wait for the training.

500 feet is not long enough to safely fly a Kolb out of on a REGULAR basis... 500 feet can be done under perfect conditions when you are at the top of your game, but you will not be able to do this every time. If you base your Kolb at the airport you describe, you will end up in the corn sooner or later, guaranteed. If it happens on takeoff, it will be really bad... I would make a single runway 1000 feet long, that is doable once you have experience IF there are no obstructions at each end if you have a Rotax 912-S. If its a 582, I do not think 1000 feet will be enough to operate out of.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
powerglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

jetpilot,

I will have her read all this.

I'm not the one flying the Kolb, don't plan on it, I enjoy flying my paramotors and it's enough flying for me. I might join her as a passenger when she is trained, confident and ready, but I'm not in a hurry to take the passenger seat, I fly all the time in my paramotors and it gives me plenty of satisfaction.

Wow, 1000 feet! OK, I think we have that.

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the runways we need to start preparing for.>>

Runways? I don`t know anyone who operates from a runway. Ithought grass
strips was what our flying was all about. A big field so that you can land
and take off in any direction is a lot more useful and even that is not
strictly necessary

Pat

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

> Just wondering if 500 feet will be enough after 1 season of flying? 600
feet by 60 feet is 1 acre, just trying to not take away any acreage from a
good producing black Iowa soil, but safety will be more important than an
extra acre or two of corn, Iowa won't miss 120 bushels or so of corn too
much.
I have been flying off 750 feet in a cow pasture for 25 years. Even that
looks short after flying out of 3 and 4 thousand foot strips for a while.
60 feet is wide enough for me. The mkIII is 30 feet wide. Gives 15 feet on
each side.

I don't know how well your girl friend will fly. She may need a wider and
longer strip.

Do you have a name?

john h
mkIII
Marysvale, UT

Titus, Alabama
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

1200' is plenty, especially if there are holes at the ends.
The sumac on this end is tall enough to keep me steep so's not to scare the folks on I-90
BB MkIII, 28' wings
[img]cid:DBEECF18-4F69-4ABD-A621-FDDFFF346C07(at)frontiernet.net[/img]

DSCN1664.JPG

DSCN1664.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.24 KB
 Viewed:  10698 Time(s)

DSCN1664.jpg

powerglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

Sorry about that, yes my name is Francesco De Santis. My girlfriend's name is Dawn Shaffer.

I'm new to the area as we moved here from Florida where I haven't seen snow in 15 years, well saw some 2 saturday's ago!

I was just thinking it would be easier to make a new "grass strip" that is larger/longer and perhaps take some off if it's too much than to try and make one too small and then make it larger/longer.

John Hauck wrote:
> Just wondering if 500 feet will be enough after 1 season of flying? 600
feet by 60 feet is 1 acre, just trying to not take away any acreage from a
good producing black Iowa soil, but safety will be more important than an
extra acre or two of corn, Iowa won't miss 120 bushels or so of corn too
much.
I have been flying off 750 feet in a cow pasture for 25 years. Even that
looks short after flying out of 3 and 4 thousand foot strips for a while.
60 feet is wide enough for me. The mkIII is 30 feet wide. Gives 15 feet on
each side.

I don't know how well your girl friend will fly. She may need a wider and
longer strip.

Do you have a name?

john h
mkIII
Marysvale, UT

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

I have a 582 on mK3c and I fly out of a 900 ft and never use even half of it on take off or landing when I am alone but I use 2/3 of it when taking a pasanger and I also been flying kolbs a while
I have flown a Mk3X with a 912UL 80 Hp and that would also work on this 900 ft strip but it uses more runway than My Plane on Both Take off & Landing
dont do as I say do what works for you,Be safe if your new at this get all the room you can untill that plane fits you like a Glove

Fly on
Ellery in Maine
do not archive

--

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Any Kolb instructors close to Burlington Iowa? Reply with quote

if you dont take a good safety margin out of the crop she could become fertilizer and I dont think anyone wants that to happen

Ellery
do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: