Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

charging on 912

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvanlaak(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: charging on 912 Reply with quote

Folks,

After months of looking for a good MkIIIX I ended up with a 912 powered Rans S7 Courier. Although not a Kolb, it is actually a very nice plane with very good performance. With VGs it takes off in 150 feet no wind and climbs at 1200 fpm. Approach at 40 with a landing at 30. Cruise is 110 at high cruise, but running around at 80 mph is only about 3.5 gph. Wings will fold but it would take more than an hour, and it does not have the Kolb visibility. On the other hand, both doors open in flight. Nice enough for now.

I hope nobody minds if I pulse the experience of this group to ask about troubleshooting the charging circuit on the 912. It has only the built in charging circuit (no external alternator) and has suddenly quit charging. It was intermittent for a while but has decided to take a vacation. I spent the morning checking all conections secure and doing the other routine things. The ammeter was not very useful so I added a voltmeter when I bought it which clearly shows when it is charging and when not. Even with all loads off it still is not charging at all (voltage just under 12). When it was charging it would show about 13.5 volts no load.

I am thinking the regulator is the most likely item to change out. Any other ideas? What is the cheapest source?

Thanks

Jim

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: charging on 912 Reply with quote

John, Have you checked both sides of the regulator for AC voltage. Input S/B AC, output should not (there may be a little as the diodes in the regulator may leak a little, but it should be very little). Grounds, checked all? Do you have the big capacitor on the regulator output? Take it out and see if things improve. The Aeroelectric forum here on the Matronics lists is another very good source of diagnostic help.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM, <jvanlaak(at)aol.com (jvanlaak(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Folks,

After months of looking for a good MkIIIX I ended up with a 912 powered Rans S7 Courier.  Although not a Kolb, it is actually a very nice plane with very good performance.  With VGs it takes off in 150 feet no wind and climbs at 1200 fpm.  Approach at 40 with a landing at 30.  Cruise is 110 at high cruise, but running around at 80 mph is only about 3.5 gph.  Wings will fold but it would take more than an hour, and it does not have the Kolb visibility.  On the other hand, both doors open in flight.  Nice enough for now.

I hope nobody minds if I pulse the experience of this group to ask about troubleshooting the charging circuit on the 912.  It has only the built in charging circuit (no external alternator) and has suddenly quit charging.  It was intermittent for a while but has decided to take a vacation.  I spent the morning checking all conections secure and doing the other routine things.  The ammeter was not very useful so I added a voltmeter when I bought it which clearly shows when it is charging and when not.  Even with all loads off it still is not charging at all (voltage just under 12).  When it was charging it would show about 13.5 volts no load.

I am thinking the regulator is the most likely item to change out.  Any other ideas?  What is the cheapest source?

Thanks

Jim

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Bickham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: charging on 912 Reply with quote

I defer to the electricians in the group. I'll just throw these two things out for you to consider if all else fails.

1) How old is your engine? There was a Service Bulletin and stator replacement program for 912's around 2004. You could check the ROAN site and cross reference your engine serial number to see if it fell in that group.

2) This one is based on my personal experience. Correct wire gauge and good connections are critical. I originally installed what I thought was the correct wire size (not good with metric) and my system never charged. I didn't know I had a problem till the first time I flew with John H, John W, Gary H, and Steven G. They were running all kind of gadgets off their systems. Got home from the trip to Kitty Hawk and TNK and change out the wire to a heavier gauge and suddenly every thing started working. I got gadgets running now! So a bad wire or loose connection that would increase resistance can be a problem for this system.

Good luck.

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
jvanlaak(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: charging on 912 Reply with quote

Thanks to all who commented.

John, the builder did fine on the airframe but wiring is not his strong suit. I am in fact rewiring much of the plane not so much because the wire is too small as the lengths are too long and there are too many splices. Shorter, cleaner wires should help.

The engine is a 2000 model and the builder seems to be up to date on service bulletins but I will check again. The plane was charging OK but now is not charging at all. Even when it was it was marginal with the strobes on.

Jim

--

rickofudall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: charging on 912 Reply with quote

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM, <jvanlaak(at)aol.com (jvanlaak(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Thanks to all who commented.

John, the builder did fine on the airframe but wiring is not his strong suit.  I am in fact rewiring much of the plane not so much because the wire is too small as the lengths are too long and there are too many splices.  Shorter, cleaner wires should help.

The engine is a 2000 model and the builder seems to be up to date on service bulletins but I will check again.  The plane was charging OK but now is not charging at all.  Even when it was it was marginal with the strobes on.

Jim

--

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: charging on 912 Reply with quote

If the charging is marginal with the strobes…. How much power do they pull? How much power do the other gadgets pull? How much power does the engine produce? It may be that you are using all that the generator can produce.

Boyd Young

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The engine is a 2000 model and the builder seems to be up to date on service bulletins but I will check again. The plane was charging OK but now is not charging at all. Even when it was it was marginal with the strobes on.

Jim

[quote][b]

John Bickham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: charging on 912 Reply with quote

Sorry I was wrong.

The Service Bullentin for the stator replacement was SB-912-026UL. It was issued December, 1999.

I loose track of time and even reality sometimes!

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.

Last edited by John Bickham on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dalewhelan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: charging on 912 Reply with quote

You have 3 components in the charge system.
Here is a basic way to get close to the problem.
Run the plane, if the regulator get warm the stator is likely good.
If the regulator is cold the stator is likely bad.
Get a headlight from a car or motorcycle, connect high to one stator ac lead and low to another ac lead, do not use the bulbs ground. Stator should light the bulb, if you rev the motor you will need another bulb.
A weak battery can damage your charging system.
I like amp meters but if you do a voltage drop on a battery cable and then start the motor, you will see the voltage reading change polarity on a working system regardless of battery condition.
If you want more technical answers than what I have given you you can send me a message and I will spare others the headache.

jvanlaak(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: charging on 912 Reply with quote

Thanks.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: