Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel filler stand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Awhile back Grant, I think it was, asked about methods of filling his Kolb Mk 2. I have tried everything I could think of short of buying a filling station pump, and I briefly considered that before I priced them. I did try several different brands of gas cans with no good results and I have one of the plunger pumps that is made for one brand of gas can. They work okay if you want to squat and pull a plunger handle up and down for 20 minutes per tank. As for me, I didn't enjoy that experience either. So there I was in the plumbing aisle of Big Box Chicom Sales when inspiration struck. A 4' piece of 1 1/2" Pvc, some elbows and street ells and a 4" to 1 1/2" reducer were all I had to buy, the rest came from various strategic supply (junk) drawers. I'm especially fond of the titanium tube legs, but even those came from the strategic reserves (junk pile) by way of Boeing Surplus.  Anyway, as you can see it works from front or back so when I enclose the pod for winter flying I won't have to remove a side panel to use it, just move it around to the front and take a little care not to splash on the lexan.

Rick Girard

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Filler_from_front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.97 KB
 Viewed:  7044 Time(s)

Filler_from_front.jpg

Filler_from_rear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.97 KB

Filler_from_rear.jpg

Filler_from_front_close_up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.54 KB

Filler_from_front_close_up.jpg

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Rick G/Gang:

Are you refueling the space shuttle?

I learned a long time ago how to refuel my airplane.

Go to the hardware store. Buy 6 feet, longer or shorter if needed, of 1" OD X 3/4" ID vinyl tubing (clear) Wink . Stick one end of it on the spout of your gas can and the other end into the fuel tank filler. Pick up the can up higher than the fuel tank filler. Gravity will take care of the rest. Fuel will flow out of that can like the refuel can at a NASCAR race.

I carry my "Alabama credit card" with me when I fly cross country in case I have access to good, clean mogas. In fact, my "alabama credit card is in my old Dodge Cummins right now in case I need it to refuel my dirt bike or ATV.

When I get to old to hold the 5 gal can over my head to refuel my mkIII, I'll go to a 2.5 gal can. If that one gets to heavy, I'll go to a gal can. If that one gets to heavy, I'll get some young whipper snapper to refuel for me, or I'll fly over to Wetumpka Airport and put airplane gas in it with the pump.

john h
mkIII
Nellis AFB, Nevada

Anyway, as you can see it works from front or back so when I enclose the pod for winter flying I won't have to remove a side panel to use it, just move it around to the front and take a little care not to splash on the lexan.
[quote]

Rick Girard

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

[quote="John Hauck"]Rick G/Gang:

<snip>

john h
mkIII
Nellis AFB, Nevada

Aw, cm'on John, lighten up! That looks like as close to a NASCAR pit crew refuel as any of us will ever get!

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

At 09:04 PM 10/27/2009, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
...Pick up the can up higher than the fuel tank filler. Gravity will take care of the rest. Fuel will flow out of that can like the refuel can at a NASCAR race...

I just changed my fueling system, having gotten tired of holding a 5 gallon gas can up in the air and then stopping at just the right point to avoid overfilling my 1.75 gallon tanks. I looked at a lot of commercial options and I use one of the stupid plunger pumps for filling the 2 gallon tank in my PPG, but I couldn't find anything that really made sense for the Kolb.

I made up a fuel hose assembly that goes into a standard 5 gallon gas can, replacing the original spout. It goes to the bottom of the can, seals at the cap with an O-ring, and has a four foot hose on the other end with a brass globe valve. A small bellows foot pump (a cheap one, made for filling air mattresses) plugs into the gas can's vent hole, and just a few pumps starts the fuel flowing. If the can's not full, there will be enough pressurized air in the can to keep the fuel flowing even after you stop pumping... and the valve lets you stop the flow instantly. When you only have a Part 103 legal 5 gallons, you want to fill right up to the neck!

Before anybody says pressurizing a gas can is dangerous: A gas can left out in the sunshine will develop 5-6 psi of pressure. The pressure due to fluid depth is about 1/2 psi per foot, so if there's 18" from the back of the can to the top of the spout when pouring normally, that's 1-1/2 psi to get a reasonable speed flow. Pump fuel up 4' (up to the level of my reserve tank behind the seat) is another 2 psi. Total 3-1/2 psi, considerably less than the can in the sunlight is designed to handle. And of course I vent the can after pumping, then reclose the vent cap.

I'll post pictures if anybody is interested.

-Dana
--
Please let me know if you did not receive this. [quote][b]

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Richard, you've been spending too much time in the porta-potty. Nice
copy.
BB
do not archive
On 27, Oct 2009, at 8:27 PM, Richard Girard wrote:

Quote:
Awhile back Grant, I think it was, asked about methods of filling
his Kolb Mk 2. I have tried everything I could think of short of
buying a filling station pump, and I briefly considered that before
I priced them. I did try several different brands of gas cans with
no good results and I have one of the plunger pumps that is made for
one brand of gas can. They work okay if you want to squat and pull a
plunger handle up and down for 20 minutes per tank. As for me, I
didn't enjoy that experience either. So there I was in the plumbing
aisle of Big Box Chicom Sales when inspiration struck. A 4' piece of
1 1/2" Pvc, some elbows and street ells and a 4" to 1 1/2" reducer
were all I had to buy, the rest came from various strategic supply
(junk) drawers. I'm especially fond of the titanium tube legs, but
even those came from the strategic reserves (junk pile) by way of
Boeing Surplus.
Anyway, as you can see it works from front or back so when I enclose
the pod for winter flying I won't have to remove a side panel to use
it, just move it around to the front and take a little care not to
splash on the lexan.

Rick Girard

<Filler from front.jpg><Filler from rear.jpg><Filler from front
close up.jpg>

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Go to the hardware store. Buy 6 feet, longer or shorter if needed, of 1" OD X 3/4" ID vinyl tubing (clear) Wink . Stick one end of it on the spout of your gas can and the other end into the fuel tank filler. Pick up the can up higher than the fuel tank filler. Gravity will take care of the rest. Fuel will flow out of that can like the refuel can at a NASCAR race.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this works great if there is a vent on the tank,,, if there is not a vent, after the tank starts to collapse with a vacuum, then loosen the filler connector, the air will suck into the tank and the gas will flow down the hose. you should not loose over 1 or 2 drops of fuel. if you tighten the filler just as the fuel runs out, you will be ok.

Boyd Young

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Hi Boyd/Ya'll:

If your fuel can doesn't have a vent, drill a hole in it. When finished fueling, stick a golf tee in it to seal.

john h
mkIII
Nellis AFB, Nevada

[quote] this works great if there is a vent on the tank,,, if there is not a vent, after the tank starts to collapse with a vacuum,
Boyd Young

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Dana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

At 07:33 AM 10/28/2009, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
Hi Boyd/Ya'll:

If your fuel can doesn't have a vent, drill a hole in it. When finished fueling, stick a golf tee in it to seal.

Due to new EPA regulations, you can no longer buy fuel cans with vents... the new regs require dispensing valves with internal vents that seal automatically and are child proof. Supposedly this prevents spillage and evaporation. What the idiot bureaucrats failed to realize is that far MORE fuel is spilled by the cheap valves failing or the pissed off owners ripping the junk valves off the cans and open pouring the fuel.

Your tax dollars at work...

-Dana

--
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors-- and miss. [quote][b]

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

I now use a separate fuel can for slightly higher octane mogas than I use in my fleetof equipment. -another walmart red plastic jug with long plastic hose on it. The vent is a tiny
hole drilled in the handle. Not much can get in there unless you leave it out in the rain.
Gasoline is constantly outgassing and will prevent small entering particles.
The jug will also not swell up on warm days.
This is what I do, not a recommendation.
BB

On 28, Oct 2009, at 12:38 PM, Dana Hague wrote:
[quote] At 07:33 AM 10/28/2009, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
Hi Boyd/Ya'll:

Due to new EPA regulations, you can no longer buy fuel cans with vents... the new regs require dispensing valves with internal vents that seal automatically and are child proof. Supposedly this prevents spillage and evaporation. What the idiot bureaucrats failed to realize is that far MORE fuel is spilled by the cheap valves failing or the pissed off owners ripping the junk valves off the cans and open pouring the fuel.

Your tax dollars at work...

-Dana

--
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors-- and miss.
Quote:

[b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Hi,

filling tanks seems a general problem. Holding a jerry can above shoulder
height is a bit hard going.

I bought at a show a pump made entirely of plastic. It has a stiff 1 inch
tube on the inlet side and a flexible hose on the outlet side about the
same which protrudes from the pump body at 90 degrees..

The body in essence is a cylinder about 3" x 6" with a sleeve over it with
an attached handle which enables a stroke of about 3 or 4 inches.

I have fixed a Terry Clip to each of the two diagonals above the tanks on
my Xtra. The enables me to put a funnel in the top of the tank. Slide the
flexible hose into the Terry clip with the end in the funnel.

This leaves 2 hands free to pump. You need one to hold the body and one to
pump the handle. It is a bit fiddly because of the short stroke but on the
plus side it weighs only a few ounces and the flexible hose can be rolled up
and the whole thing put away behind the seats.

I won`t pretend that it is an ultra quick method but it is simple,(I
hesitate to say fool proof) light and stowable.

Cheers

Pat

ulflyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Bad thing about plain vinyl tubing is static - better to pick up a Oklahoma refueling station from Harbor Freight, that is Jiggler Siphon Hose with anti-static hose and a pea shaker on the end for starting the flow.
They have two sizes, the regular about 5/8" dia and the 7/8" gusher. Your talking 5 gallons in short order with it. Both have anti-static hoses, an important feature.
jerb

At 06:04 PM 10/27/2009, you wrote:
[quote]Rick G/Gang:

I carry my "Alabama credit card" with me when I fly cross country in case I have access to good, clean mogas. In fact, my "alabama credit card is in my old Dodge Cummins right now in case I need it to refuel my dirt bike or ATV.

When I get to old to hold the 5 gal can over my head to refuel my mkIII, I'll go to a 2.5 gal can. If that one gets to heavy, I'll go to a gal can. If that one gets to heavy, I'll get some young whipper snapper to refuel for me, or I'll fly over to Wetumpka Airport and put airplane gas in it with the pump.

john h
mkIII
Nellis AFB, Nevada

Anyway, as you can see it works from front or back so when I enclose the pod for winter flying I won't have to remove a side panel to use it, just move it around to the front and take a little care not to splash on the lexan.

Rick Girard

[b]

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Jerb, The metal frame grounds the whole rig right to ground when I push the legs into the ground. I never refuel in the hangar and the humidity in Kansas keeps the static to a minimum.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM, jerb <ulflyer(at)verizon.net (ulflyer(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
[quote] Bad thing about plain vinyl tubing is static - better to pick up a Oklahoma refueling station from Harbor Freight, that is Jiggler Siphon Hose with anti-static hose and a pea shaker on the end for starting the flow. 
They have two sizes, the regular about 5/8" dia and the 7/8" gusher.  Your talking 5 gallons in short order with it.  Both have anti-static hoses, an important feature.
jerb  

At 06:04 PM 10/27/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
Rick G/Gang:

Go to the hardware store.  Buy 6 feet, longer or shorter if needed, of 1" OD X 3/4" ID vinyl tubing (clear)  Wink  .   Stick one end of it on the spout of your gas can and the other end into the fuel tank filler.  Pick up the can up higher than the fuel tank filler.  Gravity will take care of the rest.  Fuel will flow out of that can like the refuel can at a NASCAR race.

I carry my "Alabama credit card" with me when I fly cross country in case I have access to good, clean mogas.  In fact, my "alabama credit card is in my old Dodge Cummins right now in case I need it to refuel my dirt bike or ATV.

When I get to old to hold the 5 gal can over my head to refuel my mkIII, I'll go to a 2.5 gal can.  If that one gets to heavy, I'll go to a gal can.  If that one gets to heavy, I'll get some young whipper snapper to refuel for me, or I'll fly over to Wetumpka Airport and put airplane gas in it with the pump.

john h
mkIII
Nellis AFB, Nevada

Rick Girard

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Luckily, the only static I get is from the Kolb List. Wink

john h
Death Valley, CA
[quote]
Bad thing about plain vinyl tubing is static jerb
[b]

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Fuel filler stand Reply with quote

Sticking the legs in the ground wouldn't work where I am now, Death Valley, CA. Kinda dry here. My new inside/outside thermometer/humidity meter would not register the humidity last night in the 5th wheel. I got a "Lo" indication. I think 10% is the lowest it registers in numerals.

john h
mkIII
[quote]
Jerb, The metal frame grounds the whole rig right to ground when I push the legs into the ground. I never refuel in the hangar and the humidity in Kansas keeps the static to a minimum.

Rick Girard

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: