Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 Max structural Cruising Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txpilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: 701 Max structural Cruising Speed Reply with quote

Does anyone know the max structural cruising speed for the 701 (VNO)?

I can't seem to find it in the plans. They only show max flaps down, maneuvering speed, and VNE.

Thanks,

Dan Ginty

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: 701 Max structural Cruising Speed Reply with quote

Dan,
On the third page of my copy of the 701 plans (Page 7-G-3) there is a speed
limitation paragraph. It says the Vne is 110 mph or 180 km/h. However, the
plane is so "draggy" that you have to work a little to get it past Vne.
Les

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

txpilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Max structural Cruising Speed Reply with quote

Yes, Thanks Les. I got the Vne, but I'm looking for Vno. Vne (110 mph) is the redline on the airspeed indicator. Vno, the maximum structural cruising speed, should be the 'divider' between yellow and green arcs on the airspeed indicator.

Dan

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: 701 Max structural Cruising Speed Reply with quote

Dan,
Now I have questions! What does Vno represent and why is it important for
you to know its value?
When I fly I want to know how fast the plane can go before the thing will
fly apart, what is the maximum speed I can go in turbulent air during
turbulent maneuvers, what speed do I need to be at so I can deploy flaps,
and the speed the plane will stall at in various configurations. I think I
know these things. The first three are provided by Zenith and the last I
have come to by testing. Why do I need to know Vno?
Les

--

jetboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Max structural Cruising Speed Reply with quote

For the TP10141E specd 701
Vfe 52Kt
Vno 74Kt
Vne 96Kt

for Europe specs complying with BCAR'S'
Vfe 55Kt
Va 62Kt "max speed for large abrupt control changes"
Vno 78Kt " max structural cruise clean air"
Vne 94Kt

Ralph

txpilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Max structural Cruising Speed Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I have questions! What does Vno represent and why is it important for
you to know its value?

Vno is essentially defined by FAR Part 23 Cert standards. I know it's not required since we're experimental, but here's the gist:

Aircraft Manufacturers like Cessna show Vno as the max cruising speed and say "Do not exceed this speed except in smooth air, and then only with caution." Basically, the certified aircraft are required to show no structural damage if the aircraft encounters vertical gusts up to 50 fpm at or below Vno (The FAA call it Vc). For reference, it's under FAA Regs 23.333 through 23.337, although I recommend a strong cup of coffee before diving into it!

Conservatively, I could just call Va at 84mph the Vno speed, but with a 100hp Rotax engine I'm hoping the aircraft will fly faster than 84mph. I'm not interested in flying the plane continuously in a yellow arc region and would simply like to know what value I could safely show the green arc.

Dan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: