Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying Times
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfowler120(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

N156WT (Williamsburg, VA with 4 owners) does about 140 hours per year.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
johnd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

N601JD in Spruce Pine, NC, I've gotten 32 hours since my first flight in Jan. Would have had more but the wx has been crummy this year...

John Davis

BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net) wrote: [quote] p { margin: 0; } Guys
can we get a show of hands on who is flying and how much. i would have done much more except for weather and runway construction. went to a fly-in 100 miles away. good time, good food. indicated 125 mph at 5500' with a 155 mph ground speed
hopefully we are getting better weather.

N131BP
601 XL E-AB
14hrs since June

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mhubel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flying Times Reply with quote

N708HU FIT, MA have 32 hours since first flight. Like others, weather and fighting with Bing have reduced the total.

Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flying Times Reply with quote

I flew about 70 hours this year and have 115 total hours now. Made x-country trips to Oshkosh once and to Illinois three times. Hit about 15 fly-ins and pancake breakfasts. This week I flew at night for the first time and got enough takeoff's and landings to become night current. I have no qualms about flying the 601XL, even at night.

p.s. since we have had recent discussions about nose gear, my experience with a light engine (Jabiru) and the gear turned around (flat face forward), is that I can typically hold the nose gear off for about 5 seconds before it eases down. It required some technique refining, but not a lot.

Footloose and flutter free,

SWORFI09_35.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.48 KB
 Viewed:  13961 Time(s)

SWORFI09_35.jpg

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

52 hours over the past twelve months out of Ray, MI.
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net wrote:
Quote:
Guys
can we get a show of hands on who is flying and how much. i would
have done much more except for weather and runway construction. went
to a fly-in 100 miles away. good time, good food. indicated 125 mph
at 5500' with a 155 mph ground speed

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
Doug.Norman(at)sportaviat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

172 hrs personal flying so far this year on the Zodiac; 468 total. No
Stephen Smith trips, but regularly back and forth between north Georgia and
Clearwater, FL. And often back and forth between Clearwater and Boca Raton,
FL (visiting kids). Only issue (since taking it off the rental line - whole
other story there) was an oil leak in a valve cover (Continental O-200); and
a cracked canopy from having it slam down onto a headset from a gust of wind
- take note folks. Nothing with the airframe.

Doug Norman, CFI, AGI
N601DN

--

yak52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Approximately 90 hrs/year. 220 in total on this airframe. The real question is: how many of you have stopped flying the airplane because of this "flutter" mess. The nay-sayers are of the opinion that only a few people are flying, and they're in the majority with their decision not to fly.  I don't see anyone on ZenithAero having made that decision, and no, I don't include those don't have a finished airplane and spend their days wringing their hands and looking for another reason not to complete. [quote][b]

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I hope you are not including me in the "nay-sayers of the opinion that only a few people are flying" but I suspect this is indeed your interpretation. I also object to your characterization of the problems with the Zodiac XL as "Flutter" mess. Let me try to clear up my own position.

Flutter never was a serious likelihood to explain the XL problems. Indeed, the problems are a considerable number of fatal in-flight structural failures in the last few years. I don't know the exact number of these events but I think it is somewhere between 5 and 10 worldwide.

As to the number of grounded XLs, my belief is that nobody knows the answer to this question. There is no official registry of flights world-wide to give a definitive answer. We all know that several countries in Europe have grounded the XL and that one of them, the UK, has released a long list of changes that will enable owners in that country to resume flights. As far as I know the other countries still have the XLs grounded.

I appreciate the idea of having list members announce their own recent flight records. This is a haphazard way to determine how many planes are flying vs. grounded, but it is the best one I have heard of yet.

So far I have counted around 8 owners who replied that they are still flying their XLs. For reference, the 2008 Kitplanes lists the number of completed and flying XLs as 950. I don't know how to interpret these related numbers, but it does seem only a few are still flying. Of course the number of responses is only a small percentage of the number actually in use. This is a limited, but large, email list of Zodiac builders and owners, and I am sure there are a number of owners flying that have not responded. Several list members have made it clear they are flying and have not responded to this query.

If only 10 percent of the flying Zodiac XL owners have responded and the Kitplanes number is reasonably accurate that would suggest 90 percent of the fleet is grounded. This doesn't surprise me since the NTSB asked for this result and indeed several countries (not including the USA) have responded with regulatory force on the subject.

Still, I am not sure of the real numbers, and I don't even think this really matters. My position always has been that we don't need a consensus on this issue. It is a decision each owner should make according to his own judgement and situation. It is only a few very vocal folks still flying their Zodiac XLs that seem to want a justification for their choice by citing numbers of people who agree with them.

My own position since the NTSB letter has been, and remains, my plane is grounded until we get a formal release of engineering changes from Chris Heintz or one of his related companies to resolve this problem. That change has been promised to me by Sebastian Heintz as coming "Soon". I have no idea when his promise will be filled, but I will wait for it. I don't know why it seems to annoy some people so much that I have chosen this path, but apparently it does.

Paul
XL awaiting engineering changes

At 11:06 AM 10/28/2009, you wrote:

[quote]Approximately 90 hrs/year. 220 in total on this airframe. The real question is: how many of you have stopped flying the airplane because of this "flutter" mess. The nay-sayers are of the opinion that only a few people are flying, and they're in the majority with their decision not to fly. I don't see anyone on ZenithAero having made that decision, and no, I don't include those don't have a finished airplane and spend their days wringing their hands and looking for another reason not to complete.
Quote:

[/b]
[b]

zjohnson(at)ucnsb.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

Add my 2 cents worth..672 hrs total..CH601HDS.NSI subaru

Jackie Johnson N5JZ
--- bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net wrote:

To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Flying Times
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:05:57 -0400

52 hours over the past twelve months out of Ray, MI.
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net wrote:
Quote:
Guys
can we get a show of hands on who is flying and how much. i would
have done much more except for weather and runway construction. went
to a fly-in 100 miles away. good time, good food. indicated 125 mph
at 5500' with a 155 mph ground speed

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

jfowler120(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Rubbish.

Karl
[quote] ---

Doug.Norman(at)sportaviat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Paul’s right that nobody knows the actual number of “grounded” 601s, or those “still flying.” And there are some weak arguments offered which claim some statistical backup for what one might conclude. He’s also correct that this isn’t a consensus activity.

If one could gather data on a reasonable sample of people who have XLs, and mine their experiences, then one could apply simple non-parametric statistics and get a handle on what the likely status is.

So… I took a couple of hours and went on the Zenith.Aero site to gather what data there might be. I went and pulled the member data from the site for all the 601 XLs which are flying in the US. I then divided them into four categories:
<![if !supportLists]>1) <![endif]>Those who list themselves as “flying,” but there’s not enough data to put them clearly into flying or not flying (as determined by there being no activity on the site. They registered, described themselves, but no other data is there to conclude whether they are actually flying or not).
<![if !supportLists]>2) <![endif]>Those who are clearly flying as determined by pictures, discussions with others, etc.
<![if !supportLists]>3) <![endif]>Those who list themselves as flying, but are explicit about keeping themselves on the ground, or where one can reasonably infer that they are not flying
<![if !supportLists]>4) <![endif]>Those who register as “other” and who might have changed their listing from “flying” based on them grounding themselves.

Remember, these are only for those people who have registered on the site. The details are below for those who want to check my math.

The results are clear: people, as a rule, are not grounding themselves. The explanation for the continuing belief that they are grounding themselves must be due to those who are asserting this without any data to support their contention. In fact I wasn’t able to find a single example of someone who had voluntarily grounded themselves on the site. But we know they exist. Paul is one. Therefore, they must represent a small slice of the owners/operators of Xls. Essentially, statistically insignificant (yet loud with assertions).

This invalidates a number of assertions I’ve seen which suggest that the reason there are few additional episodes is probably due to the lack of flight hours. Sorry, that suggestion is not supportable.

The most likely explanation is that people are flying within the limits of the airplane in a reasonable, responsible manner. And, isn’t that what everyone should do at all times? Fly your airplanes and enjoy them.

----------------------------------------------------------
Here are the results:

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Total 601 XLs Flying in the US: 92
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>“Flying” but indeterminate: 32
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>“Flying” and flying:   60
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>“Flying” but grounded:   0
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>“Other” and grounded:   0

We now have sufficient data to test a number of hypotheses
---------------------------------------------------
Hypothesis 1: “90% of the fleet are voluntarily grounded”

To allow the best possibility of this, we’ll assign all “Flying but indeterminate” to the “voluntarily grounded” category.
Now we’ll perform a Chi Square in the following way:
  Flying:
Observed: 60 Expected: 9 (10% of 92)
  Grounded:
    Observed: 32 Expected: 83 (90% of 92)

Chi Square = 0.0001 Thus, this hypothesis is exceedingly unlikely, and we reject it.
-------------------------------------------------------

Hypothesis 2: “50% of the fleet are voluntarily grounded”

Again, to allow for the reading of the data which would most support this possibility we assign all “Flying but indeterminate” to the “voluntarily grounded category”

Flying:
    Observed: 60 Expected: 46
  Grounded:
    Observed: 32 Expected: 46

Chi Square = 0.0035 Thus, as before, we reject the hypothesis
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hypothesis 3: “Everybody is flying”

Flying:
    Observed: 60 Expected: 91
  Grounded:
    Observed: 32 Expected: 1

Chi Square = 0.0001 Thus this must be rejected too. Thus, because we can’t assign the indeterminate category, we can’t make this statement either.

It turns out the largest supportable global distribution of voluntarily grounded aircraft turns out to be about 20% IF you assume ALL indeterminates are voluntary groundings. This is probably not correct; thus, one might conclude that, among the Zenith.Aero community, there are few voluntary groundings.

I suspect that, since there were NO explicit statements of voluntary grounding, they probably are pretty rare.

Thus, fleet-hours are being accumulated at a rate consistent with what one would expect absent this unfortunate set of issues.

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KARL POLIFKA
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Flying times

Rubbish.

Karl
Quote:

----- Original Message -----

To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com (zenith601-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:44 PM

Subject: Re: Zenith601-List: Flying times

Hi Roger,

I hope you are not including me in the "nay-sayers of the opinion that only a few people are flying" but I suspect this is indeed your interpretation. I also object to your characterization of the problems with the Zodiac XL as "Flutter" mess. Let me try to clear up my own position.

Flutter never was a serious likelihood to explain the XL problems. Indeed, the problems are a considerable number of fatal in-flight structural failures in the last few years. I don't know the exact number of these events but I think it is somewhere between 5 and 10 worldwide.

As to the number of grounded XLs, my belief is that nobody knows the answer to this question. There is no official registry of flights world-wide to give a definitive answer. We all know that several countries in Europe have grounded the XL and that one of them, the UK, has released a long list of changes that will enable owners in that country to resume flights. As far as I know the other countries still have the XLs grounded.

I appreciate the idea of having list members announce their own recent flight records. This is a haphazard way to determine how many planes are flying vs. grounded, but it is the best one I have heard of yet.

So far I have counted around 8 owners who replied that they are still flying their XLs. For reference, the 2008 Kitplanes lists the number of completed and flying XLs as 950. I don't know how to interpret these related numbers, but it does seem only a few are still flying. Of course the number of responses is only a small percentage of the number actually in use. This is a limited, but large, email list of Zodiac builders and owners, and I am sure there are a number of owners flying that have not responded. Several list members have made it clear they are flying and have not responded to this query.

If only 10 percent of the flying Zodiac XL owners have responded and the Kitplanes number is reasonably accurate that would suggest 90 percent of the fleet is grounded. This doesn't surprise me since the NTSB asked for this result and indeed several countries (not including the USA) have responded with regulatory force on the subject.

Still, I am not sure of the real numbers, and I don't even think this really matters. My position always has been that we don't need a consensus on this issue. It is a decision each owner should make according to his own judgement and situation. It is only a few very vocal folks still flying their Zodiac XLs that seem to want a justification for their choice by citing numbers of people who agree with them.

My own position since the NTSB letter has been, and remains, my plane is grounded until we get a formal release of engineering changes from Chris Heintz or one of his related companies to resolve this problem. That change has been promised to me by Sebastian Heintz as coming "Soon". I have no idea when his promise will be filled, but I will wait for it. I don't know why it seems to annoy some people so much that I have chosen this path, but apparently it does.

Paul

At 11:06 AM 10/28/2009, you wrote:

Approximately 90 hrs/year. 220 in total on this airframe. The real question is: how many of you have stopped flying the airplane because of this "flutter" mess. The nay-sayers are of the opinion that only a few people are flying, and they're in the majority with their decision not to fly. I don't see anyone on ZenithAero having made that decision, and no, I don't include those don't have a finished airplane and spend their days wringing their hands and looking for another reason not to complete.
Quote:

Quote:
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.comhref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

ter_turn(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Ouch Doug, you've hurt my brain! Thanks anyway.
Terry
From: Doug - SportAviation <Doug.Norman(at)sportaviation.aero>
Sent: Wed, October 28, 2009 4:36:05 PM
Subject: RE: Zenith601-List: Flying times

Paul’s right that nobody knows the actual number of “grounded†601s, or those “still flying.†And there are some weak arguments offered which claim some statistical backup for what one might conclude. He’s also correct that this isn’t a consensus activity.

If one could gather data on a reasonable sample of people who have XLs, and mine their experiences, then one could apply simple non-parametric statistics and get a handle on what the likely status is.

So… I took a couple of hours and went on the Zenith.Aero site to gather what data there might be. I went and pulled the member data from the site for all the 601 XLs which are flying in the US. I then divided them into four categories:
1) Those who list themselves as “flying,†but there’s not enough data to put them clearly into flying or not flying (as determined by there being no activity on the site. They registered, described themselves, but no other data is there to conclude whether they are actually flying or not).
2) Those who are clearly flying as determined by pictures, discussions with others, etc.
3) Those who list themselves as flying, but are explicit about keeping themselves on the ground, or where one can reasonably infer that they are not flying
4) Those who register as “other†and who might have changed their listing from “flying†based on them grounding themselves.

Remember, these are only for those people who have registered on the site. The details are below for those who want to check my math.

The results are clear: people, as a rule, are not grounding themselves. The explanation for the continuing belief that they are grounding themselves must be due to those who are asserting this without any data to support their contention. In fact I wasn’t able to find a single example of someone who had voluntarily grounded themselves on the site. But we know they exist. Paul is one. Therefore, they must represent a small slice of the owners/operators of Xls. Essentially, statistically insignificant (yet loud with assertions).

This invalidates a number of assertions I’ve seen which suggest that the reason there are few additional episodes is probably due to the lack of flight hours. Sorry, that suggestion is not supportable.

The most likely explanation is that people are flying within the limits of the airplane in a reasonable, responsible manner. And, isn’t that what everyone should do at all times? Fly your airplanes and enjoy them.

Here are the results:

-   Total 601 XLs Flying in the US:   92
-   “Flying†but indeterminate:   32
- “Flying†and flying:   60
-   “Flying†but grounded:     0
-   “Other†and grounded:     0

Hypothesis 1: “90% of the fleet are voluntarily groundedâ€

To allow the best possibility of this, we’ll assign all “Flying but indeterminate†to the “voluntarily grounded†category.
Now we’ll perform a Chi Square in the following way:
  Flying:
  Grounded:
    Observed: 32 Expected: 83   (90% of 92)

Chi Square = 0.0001   Thus, this hypothesis is exceedingly unlikely, and we reject it.

Hypothesis 2: “50% of the fleet are voluntarily groundedâ€

Again, to allow for the reading of the data which would most support this possibility we assign all “Flying but indeterminate†to the “voluntarily grounded categoryâ€

Flying:
  Grounded:

Hypothesis 3: “Everybody is flyingâ€

Flying:
  Observed: 60   Expected: 91
  Grounded:

Chi Square = 0.0001   Thus this must be rejected too. Thus, because we can’t assign the indeterminate category, we can’t make this statement either.

It turns out the largest supportable global distribution of voluntarily grounded aircraft turns out to be about 20% IF you assume ALL indeterminates are voluntary groundings. This is probably not correct; thus, one might conclude that, among the Zenith.Aero community, there are few voluntary groundings.

I suspect that, since there were NO explicit statements of voluntary grounding, they probably are pretty rare.

Thus, fleet-hours are being accumulated at a rate consistent with what one would expect absent this unfortunate set of issues.

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KARL POLIFKA
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Zenith601-List: Flying times

Rubbish.

Karl
[quote]
---

z601a(at)anemicaardvark.c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Very erudite and thought provoking. This is about what common sense would
suggest.

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 16:36, Doug - SportAviation wrote:
[quote] Paul's right that nobody knows the actual number of "grounded" 601s, or
those "still flying." And there are some weak arguments offered which claim
some statistical backup for what one might conclude. He's also correct that
this isn't a consensus activity.

If one could gather data on a reasonable sample of people who have XLs, and
mine their experiences, then one could apply simple non-parametric
statistics and get a handle on what the likely status is.

So. I took a couple of hours and went on the Zenith.Aero site to gather
what data there might be. I went and pulled the member data from the site
for all the 601 XLs which are flying in the US. I then divided them into
four categories:

1) Those who list themselves as "flying," but there's not enough data
to put them clearly into flying or not flying (as determined by there being
no activity on the site. They registered, described themselves, but no
other data is there to conclude whether they are actually flying or not).

2) Those who are clearly flying as determined by pictures, discussions
with others, etc.

3) Those who list themselves as flying, but are explicit about keeping
themselves on the ground, or where one can reasonably infer that they are
not flying

4) Those who register as "other" and who might have changed their
listing from "flying" based on them grounding themselves.

Remember, these are only for those people who have registered on the site.
The details are below for those who want to check my math.

The results are clear: people, as a rule, are not grounding themselves. The
explanation for the continuing belief that they are grounding themselves
must be due to those who are asserting this without any data to support
their contention. In fact I wasn't able to find a single example of someone
who had voluntarily grounded themselves on the site. But we know they
exist. Paul is one. Therefore, they must represent a small slice of the
owners/operators of Xls. Essentially, statistically insignificant (yet loud
with assertions).

This invalidates a number of assertions I've seen which suggest that the
reason there are few additional episodes is probably due to the lack of
flight hours. Sorry, that suggestion is not supportable.

The most likely explanation is that people are flying within the limits of
the airplane in a reasonable, responsible manner. And, isn't that what
everyone should do at all times? Fly your airplanes and enjoy them.

Here are the results:

- Total 601 XLs Flying in the US: 92

- "Flying" but indeterminate: 32

- "Flying" and flying: 60

- "Flying" but grounded: 0

- "Other" and grounded: 0

Hypothesis 1: "90% of the fleet are voluntarily grounded"

To allow the best possibility of this, we'll assign all "Flying but
indeterminate" to the "voluntarily grounded" category.

Now we'll perform a Chi Square in the following way:

Flying:

Grounded:

Observed: 32 Expected: 83 (90% of
92)

Chi Square = 0.0001 Thus, this hypothesis is exceedingly unlikely,
and we reject it.

Hypothesis 2: "50% of the fleet are voluntarily grounded"

Again, to allow for the reading of the data which would most support this
possibility we assign all "Flying but indeterminate" to the "voluntarily
grounded category"

Flying:

Grounded:

Hypothesis 3: "Everybody is flying"

Flying:

Observed: 60 Expected: 91

Grounded:

Chi Square = 0.0001 Thus this must be rejected too. Thus, because
we can't assign the indeterminate category, we can't make this statement
either.

It turns out the largest supportable global distribution of voluntarily
grounded aircraft turns out to be about 20% IF you assume ALL
indeterminates are voluntary groundings. This is probably not correct;
thus, one might conclude that, among the Zenith.Aero community, there are
few voluntary groundings.

I suspect that, since there were NO explicit statements of voluntary
grounding, they probably are pretty rare.

Thus, fleet-hours are being accumulated at a rate consistent with what one
would expect absent this unfortunate set of issues.

[mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KARL
POLIFKA Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Flying times

Rubbish.

Karl

---

rpf(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

I've been flying almost every week (spring, summer, fall and winter) since May 2007. Longest down time was three and a half weeks do to weather.

Randy
601xl
360hrs since May 2007
[quote] ---

Tonyplane(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

N493TG: 601XL (ser 6-5342)/Jab3300;
first flight Jul 05
540 hrs;
1210 landings; (231 landings on rough, short farm strip) - now "based" on my farm
4 annual condition inspections
Easy to fly. Lots of fun, inexpensive (relativity speaking) flying.
(NO, I do not plan to balance my ailerons - modal surveys and flight testings for flutter, and my own flight testing has convinced me there is no flutter problem within the flight envelop. YES - I do believe you can fail the wings with the wing removal device found on the XL and on all airplanes, sometimes called the "stick" and on others the "yoke".)

Tony Graziano
Buchanan, Tn
[quote][b]

n4546v(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

What Randy are you? Are you my Pal Randy Stout of San Antonio? Are you Randy, Las vegas? No wait that's me. Are you another Randy? Need to add an identifyer here.

Regards,

Randy, Las Vegas

[quote] ---

pfranke(at)tpg.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Flying Times Reply with quote

Flying since March this year… 72 hours so far, and having a ball!

19-7024
Peter F in Oz

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 12:50 AM
To: zenith601-list-digest(at)matronics.com
Subject: Flying Times

Guys
can we get a show of hands on who is flying and how much. i would have done much more except for weather and runway construction. went to a fly-in 100 miles away. good time, good food. indicated 125 mph at 5500' with a 155 mph ground speed

N131BP
601 XL E-AB
14hrs since June
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

7024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.49 KB
 Viewed:  13913 Time(s)

7024.jpg

yak52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Hi Paul:

Actually, I recently conducted a poll on the ZBAG list. The results were for a period of 3 months this summer. There were  32 different people responding to anything posted on the list.  Of those  who responded to the poll: anonymously, I might add so they would feel free to speak their real feelings:

44% didn't believe the FAA statement that the 601xl is capable of safe flight if built and flown according to manufacturers specifications(11 of 25)

37.5% didn't believe The Austrian GVT testing and the opinions expressed as a result of that testing(one of them, who has wholeheartedly embraced the LAA tried and true method of conducting GVT testing of putting  wood on the wingtip and whacking it with a hammer, actually wanted "independent" verification of the Austrian GVT testing).(6 0f 16)

So when you write:

"I hope you are not including me in the "nay-sayers of the opinion
that only a few people are flying" but I suspect this is indeed your
interpretation"

We need only look at your subsequent statements:

"If only 10 percent of the flying Zodiac XL owners have responded and
the Kitplanes number is reasonably accurate that would suggest 90
percent of the fleet is grounded."

and

" but it does seem only a few are still
flying. "

Accordingly, I think you placed yourself in that group.

Secondly, your statements:

"  I also object to your characterization of the
problems with the Zodiac XL as "Flutter" mess.  Let me try to clear
up my own position.
Flutter never was a serious likelihood to explain the XL
problems. "

are belied by your actions. I was present at Sun-n-Fun.  A  whole tentful of people saw and heard  you shout  repeatedly at the Heintz brothers that the NTSB says flutter is the problem and when are you going to fix the ailerons so many times that the rest of the crowd told you to shut up and let other people speak.  You then proceeded to stalk the brothers across the area back to the Zenith display where you continued the harange until you left the area. If flutter was never a serious likelihood, why such actions? 

Third, the statement:

"  It is only a few very vocal folks still flying their Zodiac XLs that seem to want a
justification for their choice by citing numbers of people who agree
with them."

appears to be contraindicated. Actually the statistics support the proposition that it is a very vocal minority that are engaged that are justifying their position by refusing to believe any test, study or opinion that is at variance with the NTSB statement.

Fourth:

"My own position since the NTSB letter has been, and remains, my plane
is grounded until we get a formal release of engineering changes from
Chris Heintz or one of his related companies to resolve this
problem."

Which problem is that? If its not flutter( as per the NTSB, which you now say never a serious likelihood),what is(are) it(they)?   Give us all an engineering analysis by an aeronautical engineer willing to actually sign his name to a document for public review that actually states the casual factor( the assumption implicit by the hand wringers in all this of their being only one) of the crashes and how to fix it. The FAA, NTSB, LAA and ZBAG despite millions of dollars haven't been able to do it .

Lastly:

"  I don't know why it seems to annoy some people so
much that I have chosen this path, but apparently it does."

Perhaps its the circular logic, you continually state:

1. I won't fly because of the NTSB letter saying flutter is the cause of the accidents.
2. Flutter was never a serious likelihood to explain the accidents.
3. I still won't fly because of the NTSB flutter letter.

Personally, I hope CH does come up with something, anything, to stop this ceaseless game of Whack-a-Mole being played by some members of these groups. If its not flutter, its rivit strength, or aileron bellcrank support or the rear spar attach or the hole in the rear spar for the aileron actuator rod. All most of us ever wanted was reputable analysis of the accidents for causation and some engineered fix. It would have been easy for CH to just put forth an external mass balanced aileron for everyone and pretend the problem is solved. Fortunately or unfortunately, he has too much integrity and has done, and paid for,  those  tests and studies to determine potential causes and solutions. Let's see what he comes up with. It all the accidents had one single cause, it would have been apparent and identified by now. It it were one design flaw, it would be happening to every aircraft built in accordance with that design operated within the same flight envelope. Risk managment is the goal, risk elimination is a figment of imagination.
[quote][b]

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I really appreciate your comments. Instead of making personal
attacks, as some have done, you are making reasonably logical
comments on my actual statements. I will try my best to give you
straight answers to your questions.

I never thought flutter was an issue with the XL. My reason is the
fact observed by witnesses to a couple of the accidents that the
breakups tend to happen in level flight at moderate to slow
speeds. My understanding of flutter is that it is a high speed
phenomenon and that increased speed greatly increases the likelihood.

In my personal interpretation of the NTSB letter, the real issue was
always the structure failures and the comments about flutter were
just a side issue. The NTSB is in the business of analyzing
accidents and their causes rather than engineering and design
choices. We all know the airplanes failed and lots of people
died. What ever the underlying cause of the failures is this simple
fact is the basis of the NTSB letter and my own feelings. OK, this
may not be the only way to read the letter, but it is indeed my interpretation.

I understand some people were so focused on the question of flutter
it didn't matter what I or anyone else said. They simply heard
"Flutter problem" rather than what was actually said.

I don't feel qualified to have a professional opinion on the
underlying cause of the failures. With that caveat, I do have a
personal opinion about the basic problem. I think the light pitch
control forces and the gradient problem first identified in the NTSB
letter are the root of the problem. I also know there is some
"Problem" that causes loud vibrations in level flight as reported by
Bill of GA. His winning solution for this problem was not a speed
reduction - the normal solution if flutter is a problem - but
unloading the wings by entering a steep bank. I don't think the
noisy vibration is actually fatal, but I think some pilots respond to
this phenomenon as if it were flutter and sharply pull and push the
stick removing the wings. If this is indeed true and not just my own
personal musing then the change already announced by Chris Heintz to
reduce the pitch sensitivity with some sort of springs will indeed
help reduce the accident rate. It also means those pilots who are
cool enough in an "Emergency" situation to maintain gentle control
forces will be safe in XLs with or without the engineering change.

On to another engineering point . . . even though I am convinced
flutter is not a problem I am still willing to install a mass balance
change on the ailerons of my plane. My reasoning may be impossible
to follow, but here it is. I have heard many "Old timers" from the
FAA and my local pilot community say that this is a necessary change
for safety. They can't convince me that the XL has a flutter problem
and this fixes it. They have convinced me that planes with balanced
control surfaces (virtually all existing planes with metal control
surfaces) have better safety records. Put this all together and you
can see I am willing to add a few pounds to my plane to get the
ailerons balanced simply because I think it might help and can't hurt.

I hope I have answered your questions. The only point I want to
emphasize is that the changes I want have already been promised from
Chris with no specific delivery date other than "Soon". My decision
to wait for those changes and install them in my plane shouldn't
upset anyone. Since my "Choice of words" seems to upset some people
I am indeed sorry. I am trying to be straight forward with my ideas
without inflammatory language.

I do want to make one more comment. I have started building a
Wittman Buttercup and have joined several email lists relating to
that airplane and its builders/owners. I have not seen a single
instance of the kind of abrasive personal attacks that regularly
happen on this list. Perhaps it is because the other group is mostly
experienced builders rather than first timers like the Zenith
community. I wish there were some magic wand I could wave to get the
Zenith community to act more professionally and with less personal attacks.

If I left out any significant points please let me know. I meant to
answer all your concerns, but I am not perfect - particularly in the
memory area.

Paul

At 08:31 AM 10/29/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
If flutter was never a serious likelihood, why such actions?

fgantt(at)texaviation.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Flying times Reply with quote

PaulI think we grow tired of the constant posting of known facts.Why can't we wait and see what Chris and Zenith Aircraft's final report recommends. Each person has made their own decision to ground or not to ground their airplane. I think the statement ,"I do want to make one more comment. I have started building a Wittman Buttercup and have joined several email lists relating to that airplane and its builders/owners. I have not seen a single instance of the kind of abrasive personal attacks that regularly happen on this list. Perhaps it is because the other group is mostly experienced builders rather than first timers like the Zenith community. I wish there were some magic wand I could wave to get the Zenith community to act more professionally and with less personal attacks",is condescending  and unnecessary.

Floyd Gantt
From: "Paul Mulwitz" <psm(at)att.net>Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:26 AMTo: zenith601-list(at)matronics.comSubject: Re: Flying times--> Zenith601-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz
Hi Roger,I really appreciate your comments. Instead of making personal attacks, as some have done, you are making reasonably logical comments on my actual statements. I will try my best to give you straight answers to your questions.I never thought flutter was an issue with the XL. My reason is the fact observed by witnesses to a couple of the accidents that the breakups tend to happen in level flight at moderate to slow speeds. My understanding of flutter is that it is a high speed phenomenon and that increased speed greatly increases the likelihood.In my personal interpretation of the NTSB letter, the real issue was always the structure failures and the comments about flutter were just a side issue. The NTSB is in the business of analyzing accidents and their causes rather than engineering and design choices. We all know the airplanes failed and lots of people died. What ever the underlying cause of the failures is this simple fact is the basis of the NTSB letter and my own feelings. OK, this may not be the only way to read the letter, but it is indeed my interpretation.I understand some people were so focused on the question of flutter it didn't matter what I or anyone else said. They simply heard "Flutter problem" rather than what was actually said.I don't feel qualified to have a professional opinion on the underlying cause of the failures. With that caveat, I do have a personal opinion about the basic problem. I think the light pitch control forces and the gradient problem first identified in the NTSB letter are the root of the problem. I also know there is some "Problem" that causes loud vibrations in level flight as reported by Bill of GA. His winning solution for this problem was not a speed reduction - the normal solution if flutter is a problem - but unloading the wings by entering a steep bank. I don't think the noisy vibration is actually fatal, but I think some pilots respond to this phenomenon as if it were flutter and sharply pull and push the stick removing the wings. If this is indeed true and not just my own personal musing then the change already announced by Chris Heintz to reduce the pitch sensitivity with some sort of springs will indeed help reduce the accident rate. It also means those pilots who are cool enough in an "Emergency" situation to maintain gentle control forces will be safe in XLs with or without the engineering change.On to another engineering point . . . even though I am convinced flutter is not a problem I am still willing to install a mass balance change on the ailerons of my plane. My reasoning may be impossible to follow, but here it is. I have heard many "Old timers" from the FAA and my local pilot community say that this is a necessary change for safety. They can't convince me that the XL has a flutter problem and this fixes it. They have convinced me that planes with balanced control surfaces (virtually all existing planes with metal control surfaces) have better safety records. Put this all together and you can see I am willing to add a few pounds to my plane to get the ailerons balanced simply because I think it might help and can't hurt.I hope I have answered your questions. The only point I want to emphasize is that the changes I want have already been promised from Chris with no specific delivery date other than "Soon". My decision to wait for those changes and install them in my plane shouldn't upset anyone. Since my "Choice of words" seems to upset some people I am indeed sorry. I am trying to be straight forward with my ideas without inflammatory language.I do want to make one more comment. I have started building a Wittman Buttercup and have joined several email lists relating to that airplane and its builders/owners. I have not seen a single instance of the kind of abrasive personal attacks that regularly happen on this list. Perhaps it is because the other group is mostly experienced builders rather than first timers like the Zenith community. I wish there were some magic wand I could wave to get the Zenith community to act more professionally and with less personal attacks.If I left out any significant points please let me know. I meant to answer all your concerns, but I am not perfect - particularly in the memory area.PaulXL awaiting engineering changesAt 08:31 AM 10/29/2009, you wrote:> If flutter was never a serious likelihood, why such actions?
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: