Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Center wing gap opening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.shimei(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Center wing gap opening Reply with quote

Well,this probably isnt Kolb related ,since it is an Ultrastar,but I will put this out anyway.

My ULTRASTAR has flown without the filler between between the center section for 60hrs+ since April. I have not noticed any loss of control at stalls or in any other flight position,including landing....plenty of room to flare.

I installed a velcroed gap filler with an alum. flashing leading edge to give it stiffness,instead of using a center rib of sorts.

The takeoff-climbout seemed a little faster,but what really seemed to change was the pitching up of the nose at cruise
Originally I needed to install a bungee to hold the stick back(John H trim) which worked great. I now have to push FWD at level cruise(75%). Just trying to figure out why it changed so much

On the flip side,I can putter at 3200 rpm and sink about 80fpm or so.Havent dead-sticked it yet,but will try it as soon as the weather changes.Got 10+ in so far,so I have a good reference point.

Mark

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Center wing gap opening Reply with quote

[quote="mark.shimei(at)gmail.com"]Well,this probably isnt Kolb related ,since it is an Ultrastar,but I will put this out anyway.

My ULTRASTAR has flown without the filler between between the center section for 60hrs+ since April. I have not noticed any loss of control at stalls or in any other flight position,including landing....plenty of room to flare.

I installed a velcroed gap filler with an alum. flashing leading edge to give it stiffness,instead of using a center rib of sorts.

The takeoff-climbout seemed a little faster,but what really seemed to change was the pitching up of the nose at cruise
Originally I needed to install a bungee to hold the stick back(John H trim) which worked great. I now have to push FWD at level cruise(75%). Just trying to figure out why it changed so much

On the flip side,I can putter at 3200 rpm and sink about 80fpm or so.Havent dead-sticked it yet,but will try it as soon as the weather changes.Got 10+ in so far,so I have a good reference point.

Mark
Quote:
[b]

Dude - last I heard, Ultrastars are Kolbs - no problem.

Shooting from the hip here, perhaps having the prop below the trailing edge of the wing keeps the airflow from exiting the gap to the extent it would if the prop is higher, thereby reducing the normal loss of lift. And the stick bungee worked the way you would expect.

Now that you have a gap seal, the loss of air through the front part of the gap (where the prop draw would not have as much effect) is reduced, giving you a bit more lift at the forward part of the wing, changing your apparent center of lift forward. Now you have to hold forward stick to compensate. In any event, your center of lift has moved forward.

Not sure if this is right, but that is how I am visualizing it. And as Beauford says, Worth what ya paid fer it.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Center wing gap opening Reply with quote

At 08:26 AM 11/16/09 -0800, you wrote:
Quote:

The takeoff-climbout seemed a little faster,but what really seemed to
change was the pitching up of the nose at cruise

Quote:
Originally I needed to
install a bungee to hold the stick back(John H trim) which worked great. I

now have to push FWD at level cruise(75%). Just trying to figure out why
it changed so much

Mark,

Just to add a little to what Richard wrote. By closing the wing gap, you
have increased the effective length of your wing. For the same thrust or
throttle setting, the wing will generate more lift. To maintain level
flight, you must hold forward stick and reduce the AOA until the wing
generates the same total lift as it did with out the gap seal. If you are
holding an uncomfortable amount of forward stick, you may need to adjust the
horizontal stabilizer AOA.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Center wing gap opening Reply with quote

Whaddya talking about? An UltraStar is certainly a Kolb!

I posted on this a few weeks back after flying without the gap seal for the first (and last!) time. Bottom line is that the plane handled very mushy, needed a lot more back stick to lift off, and the rate of climb was drastically reduced.

-Dana

At 08:20 AM 11/16/2009, mark.shimei wrote:
Quote:
Well,this probably isnt Kolb related ,since it is an Ultrastar,but I will put this out anyway.

Mark

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
www.buildersbooks.com
www.homebuilthelp.com
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
Email Forum -
- MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
http://forums.matronics.com

[/b]

--
Back Up My Hard Drive? I Can't Find The Reverse Switch! [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: